“No frills and will provide all the basics but no more”

Tralala Hotel Montreux
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The good:
The rooms are small but have hot running water and clean sheets. It's a reasonably well located establishment. Getting to and from the town centre is easy. Bus service 206 (which you can board from the CFF train station or La Paix stops by every 20 minutes and is a loop service. A welcome drink is provided when you arrive (a nice touch) and the female proprietress speaks good English (difficult to find in this part of Switzerland). Buffet breakfast goes for CHF 15 and you can have quite a hearty tuck in. The male proprietor speaks less English but is always helpful.

The so-so:
The wi-fi connection is wonky in some of the rooms (like the room I stayed in) but there is a make-shift foldable seat near the lift where you can plant yourself if you don't mind other guests walking past you as you surf. The aesthetic of the hotel decor is quite urbane but there is nothing remarkable about it.

The bad:
Given there is no A/C in the room (rather common in most buildings in Europe), you'll have to open the sole window if you want to avoid feeling claustrophobic. My room was facing the road where 206 stops by every 20 minutes and because these buses run on diesel engines, it can get really loud (I was on level 2). There is also a lot of traffic on this street even at night, especially motorcyclists. If you are a light sleeper, take note. There is a safe but no refrigerator in the room, so if like most people you decide to get your dinner from the supermarket one evening to save money, you'll have limited options.

On balance, Tralala is fairly good value for money if you consider what they are charging you relative to the cost of living in Switzerland. Montreux was actually my favourite part of Switzerland this trip. It makes a good base to see the other towns on the lake like Lausanne, Vevey and to visit Castle Chillon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank irreverent-scribe
tralalahotel, Guest Relations at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear guest,

We thank you very much for sharing your experience and concerns with us. Our main goal being to improve our quality of service, each comment is very useful.

The Tralala Hotel was built in 1900 in the euphoria of the "Belle Epoque" as a hostel, so the foundations are equipped with quite small rooms.

You choose to come during the hight season but you can enjoy lower price at other time of the year. We always do our price at the best rate able.

We are always glad to spend some time chatting with the clients, and that's what we do everyday to hear about their day, experiences just as their needs and comments . Sometime we feel like our guests are searching for tranquility and privacy, so we try to respect this and dont't want to be intrusive.

We will be delighted to have a nice chat with you the next time you'll come. So I hope you'll give us the chance to repair our mistake and visit us again.

Please remind us, to give you a Room, which does not face the street. :)

Till then, we stay with our kindest regards from Montreux,

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because of the recommendations. But for us was not too much good. The location was not too much good, 2.5km to the casttle. No parking available for free, or if it's free you can only leave the car three hours maximum. The room was a bit small comparing with other hotels in Switzerland. The taxes were not included in the price. Also the breakfast was not included for 140FR per night. Wifi for free. Montreux is a nice place but the hotel was not a nice experience but enough.

• Stayed: August 2013
tralalahotel, Guest Relations at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your review idem as your honesty,

We would like to sincerely apologize that you have not had the best impression of our hotel.

Our Hotel was built in 1900 in the euphoria of the "Belle Epoque" as a hostel, so the foundations are equipped with quite small rooms.

Our hotel may perhaps be small, but it's fine.

My grandmother often told me, that the most valuable things are usually packed in small little boxes.

We hope to welcome you again to our hotel at some point,
Until then, we thank you for your understanding and remain with our best regards from Montreux

Reviewed August 12, 2013

What a cool, chic, and cozy hotel! It's located in the older section of Montreux, which doesn't look old at all. The streets around the hotel are very charming and quiet. There were bakeries and cafes nearby as well. It was just a 10 minute walk from the lake, which was incredibly beautiful. We accidentally went on Swiss National day and were treated to a spectacular fireworks display. We accidentally locked our key in our room but called the late night emergency number (the hotel isn't staffed after 11:00 PM) and they came quickly to let us back in. Highly recommend this place. There was also a beautiful and unexpected hike just up the road that led you through a lush green mountainous riverbed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
tralalahotel, Guest Relations at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

We are very greatful to hear, that you had enjoyed your stay with us. We would be more than happy to be welcoming you again in the future,

Otherwise we are wishing you all our very best for your future, with many great Hotel-experience around the Globe.

The entire Team of the Tralala Hotel is sending you our kindest regards,

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stopped by at the hotel numerous times for breakfast and to meet friends.

Great hotel, very clean! Wi-fi worked perfectly, being from Canada, it was my only source of communications and it worked amazingly...very glad about that!

Coffee and breakfast was very much affordable considering we are in Switzerland.

I adored the lovely receptionist (Gianna). Her smile and attitude made me feel right at home.

I would recommend this hotel if you want a great no-hassle stay to Montreux.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
tralalahotel, Guest Relations at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

The entire Team loved having you as our Guest at the Tralala Hotel,

Thank you so very much for your kind words.
Each on of us, including myself, do aprecciate those. :)

We would be more than pleased getting to welcome you again to our Hotel in very closed future,

Till then, we stay with our warmest regards from Montreux.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed 4 nights during the Jazz Festival.
Very cute little hotel high above the city, very modern decor with a music/festival theme throughout. Room was very nice, quite large and easy to move around in.
Large desk along one wall, and WiFi was fine. Would have liked a minibar.
TV only had a few news-based English channels.
Bathroom had stand-alone shower.
Breakfast was 15frc, never tried it.

Tip: Bus 206 stops right at the door, and does a loop back down to the city & rail station.
As it's quite a steep climb up from the town, I'd suggest checking out the stops/schedules and using this bus, at least when returning.
Front desk provided welcome drink and map with hand-written notes of the town including 206 bus route.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jaunt411

On behalf of the entire Tralala-Team,
we thank you very much for this great review.

It is very inspiring for all of us to know we have succeeded in our efforts to give and share the real essence of the Jazz-Inspiration.

I would like to excuse myself for not having a Mini-Bar in your Room, we had taken it out to exchance it a few days later for a new one. Be assured that we will keep working to enhance, even more, the actual service beyond our guest's expectations.

For your next visit, please make sure to get the Bus No. 206, which is leaving every 20 minutes. :)
It takes 4 minutes to come up from the Trainstation by Bus..
(from monday till saturday, the Bus is leaving each 12, 32 and 52 from the Trainstation)

Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon,
Till then we stay with our kindest Regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hidden little hotel is up the hillside from the noise and commotion of the waterfront. It is very clean, although the rooms are quite small. What makes this hotel special is the front desk receptionist, Gianna. She is a friendly, exuberant woman who made our stay extra enjoyable. She made us feel that the hotel really cared about our stay and our comfort. The restaurants she suggested were right on the mark, and she shared all kinds of knowledge about the area. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cookieladyjoanne
tralalahotel, Guest Relations at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dearest Mrs. Wiesner,

From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank you for the kind words of yours. I hope, that we will be able to meet once again, may it be here in switzerland or elswhere.

Till then, I am wishing you all my very best just as the entire Team of the Tralala Hotel is sending you our kindest regards,

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed here for a brief 2 night visit to Montreux, I was travelling alone but would definitely like to come back again and stay with my family.
When I checked in, the lovely receptionist (Gianna?) couldn't have been more helpful - you get offered a welcome drink and she was kind enough to upgrade my room and also gave me plenty of local info (bus and train times etc). I also got a pass for using on the local bus which meant you can get around the town for free (the #206 serves the train station and also stops right outside the hotel every 20 minutes). If you are getting to the hotel to begin with, there is quite an uphill walk so maybe a taxi or bus is better if you have bags, I got a cab and I think it was only about 10CHF)
The hotel itself was spotless and clean and my lovely room had some pretty views where you could see the lake. I liked the 'dark' feeling of the bedroom and the ensuite was huge with double sinks and a really deep tub with powerful shower overhead. There was also a minibar and hairdryer, tv, dvd etc
The bed was big and comfy
I didn't sample the breakfast as I was up and out early each morning, but I think it was 15CHF so fairly reasonable in terms of local prices.
I like the fact that this hotel wasn't on the main street and was away from any real noise.
The whole jazz theme and contemporary feel of this hotel is great, well done to the staff and management there - really attentive and friendly :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ann M
tralalahotel, Guest Relations at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

On behalf of the Tralala- Team, thank you very much for this great review.

Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon,