“Older, Pleasant, Great Location, Good Views from Lakeside”
Review of Hotel Aulac

Hotel Aulac
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Boulder, Colorado
“Older, Pleasant, Great Location, Good Views from Lakeside”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel--the first time was for work. I enjoyed both visits very much. If you are staying here for multiple days, I recommend splurging for a view of Lake Geneva and the Alps from a room on the south side of the hotel. The view gets better the farther you are from the elevator, so ask for a room ending in -05 or greater. The 6th floor room we stayed in had air conditioning, which we appreciated since we happened to be there in a heat wave and on the weekends there are often open-air concerts in the nearby park, and bit of nightlife nearby. Note though that the views are better from the 4th or 5th floor, as you have larger windows. There are nice patio balconies on some of the more expensive rooms in the middle of the hotel. The location itself is unbeatable--a minute from the subway and a short stroll to the dock to catch a boat. I have never been very impressed with the food at the restaurant, but it is good enough if you arrive late or are tired. The desk staff are great and super helpful.

Room Tip: If you are staying a few days I recommend splurging for a view of Lake Geneva and the Alps from a ro...
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in July and have no complaints.
Our room was a city facing room, that overlooked the back of some buildings but this didn't bother us as we weren't spending our time in the room during the day.
Our room was small but fine for two people, there was no aircon but there was a large fan which was ideal as the weather during our stay was very hot.
The room was itself was nice and clean.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant (the hotel gives a drink voucher) downstairs. The choice was basic but no complaints.
The hotel is located opposite the lake and is right next door to the Metro stop, Ouchy. Which is ideal for those you want to go up to the town of Lausanne.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms over look at the back and have city view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, UAE
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here while I was doing a 5 day course at the IMD. I was fortunate that I got a bigger room - so plenty of space & very nice.

The morning breakfast place is cozy (read small :-)), however very friendly waitress & nice good breakfast though coffee was not all that great (may be it is me !).

The price is Swiss ! So cannot complain.. Location is great for taking local shuttles & a very close to the port to take a boat ride.

I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was the 17th visit to Europe for my wife and my 5th so we have stayed at many hotels rated from 3 to 5 Stars. The Hotel Au Lac must be one of the original hotels in the city, as it is old and small, but has a delightful charm about it AND a beautiful view of the bay. While the hotel did not have air conditioning it was not a problem as the weather was cool/rainy during our stay and the hotel provided a fan in the room. So we slept with the windows open and found that the street was quite enough at night. As with most old hotels in Europe, the lift was small so it took two trips to get ourselves and our luggage into our room. The room itself was a typical European hotel room – small with little space to open your luggage. But he beds were comfortable and the included breakfast with very good.
CONS: Lack of air conditioning and small rooms.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the bay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Encounter Bay, South Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Aulac in May 2013. It was in a great position right on Lake Geneva with easy access to restaurants and shopping. The service was great and they had nearby undercover parking. Booking was easy on the internet. This was a good value for money hotel and we'd recommend it. Chris & Andy (South Australia)

Room Tip: We had a room with a view and it was great. Of course was more expensive, but worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent one night during May in a room at the Hotel Aulac in Lausanne. Having reserved a “Comfort Twin Room with Balcony and Lake View”, I was very pleased to find that my room was spacious and had a huge balcony offering wonderful views of the waterfront – so nice! The hotel is easy to reach: from the train station, cross the street that fronts the train station where you will see signs for the metro, take the metro downhill to its last stop -- Ouchy, and then exit the station and turn left; the hotel is only steps away.

The hotel was clearly built in an older era and some traces of its old-world elegance remain: As examples, there are elevators, but they are very small and very slow. And the shower in my room was in a bathtub with high sides, allowing a great bubble bath if that is one’s preference ( loved it!), but people with mobility issues might find it difficult to step into/out of the tub. The bath/shower in my room offered admirable water temperatures and pressure. Both the bathroom and bedroom had a generous amount of counterspace, and there was an electric kettle with a tray of supplies. The breakfast buffet held a satisfying array of options in a pleasant area.

Staff were very helpful throughout my stay. They went far beyond the call of duty after I checked out: To my dismay, I realized, some hours after leaving, that I had left my SwissPass in my room! I don’t know what it took for the staff to find it, but they did, and they refused my offer of a gratuity. I can’t thank the staff of this hotel enough!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KJA3
basel
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a business trip, one of the few reasonably priced rooms left in always-overbooked Lausanne. Pleasantly surprised by the room and reception. Breakfast, while free and good quality, could benefit from more attentive service - staff stood around checking room numbers but leaving tables uncleared... The location is easy when arriving by train. Just take the metro from the station and you are in. Much nicer area than further uphill, and more quaint restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013