“Best hotel in Lausanne”

Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
New York City, New York
“Best hotel in Lausanne”
Reviewed January 28, 2010

This is an incredible property. The interior spaces are a stunning mix of classical and modern design. This hotel has old world charm but isn't the old and stuffy wealthy geriatric refuge that you might expect given it's history and location. I was pleasantly surprised and would rank this among the best properties that I have visited anywhere.

Best things about the property:

- the architecture
- tastefully executed mix of modern and classic design elements
- impeccable service (professional but very friendly)
- spacious rooms with lovely views and balconies
- large bathrooms with towel warmers
- excellent food and beverage outlets
- free in-room internet

I can't think of anything that isn't good about this property. I also thought it ended up being good value for the region -- certainly not inexpensive but I felt the premium was well deserved. This place is special.

It is a little bit farther from the city center than the Lausanne Palace. It also isn't perched on a hill so the views aren't quite as good as at the Palace. However, the rooms and public spaces are much more up to date and attractive. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Lausanne.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to visit the spa or fitness facilities. The photos made them look quite lovely and other guests said they were quite good.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2009

This hotel was absolutely brilliant. The staff could not do enough to help us on arrival and throughout our stay. The hotel spa facilities had everything you need and nice and quiet to help you relax. The views across the lake were fantastic. Our Hotel room was fantastic and very spacious. The Cafe Beau Rivage was very expensive (although most places were this was even more so) but the food quality was great and service was good too. I would recommend the Academia restaurant at the Hotel next door too, slightly cheaper but just as nice. The town was easy to access using the Metro (too steep to walk up) which the hotel gave us complimentary tickets for and enjoy a stroll back down the hill to take in the views.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BollyJ
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We went for our wedding anniversary to Beau Rivage for 3 days. The hotel location is just perfect with stunning views of the Evian Mountain and the lake. We wokeup every morning to a stunning view and delicious breakfast!

The hotel is short walk to the lake and you can take a boat to visit Evian or take the train to visit Geneva 30minutes away. The swimming pool located on the lake side, so still you are exposed to nature and the most beautiful view of Evian.

Its not my first time to Lausanne and its not my first time in this stunning hotel, i would never choose to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This is the quintessential Grand Hotel - it's simply stunning, with one of the most beautiful terraces I've ever sat on - overlooking Lake Geneva with fantastic views over to Evian and the mountains beyond. The rooms are spotless, comfortable and most seem to have a balcony where you can sit and marvel at the gorgeous views. There are three great restaurants - the Michelin starred Sophie Pic, a great little Japanese place and a very comfortable cafe bistro as well as two great bars. But most of all the service everywhere in this hotel is simply outstanding. From the moment you arrive at the front desk, to the concierge, and the staff in the bars and the restaurants - it's all faultless. Everyone is incredibly polite in that wonderful formal Swiss way and nothing is too much trouble.I loved this hotel - I could easily have spent the entire weekend not moving one inch away from it. A fantastic place for complete relaxation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank brill95
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Unlike some of the reviewers who had "plastic" bathrooms, we stayed in the retty much lowest level "comfort room" (no lake view) and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Our bathroom was marble, marble everywhere and was of great size with two sinks, wonderful water pressure, a full shower curtain, and it even had a balcony.

Room measured 16 X 23 and had plenty of closet space, furnishings were in good repair, and the housekeeping was excellent.

Hotel staff were very helpful, friendly, etc.

Enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool and the large hot tub next to the pool.

Easy walk to the lakefront and to the Metro from the hotel.

Great weekend stay and will certainly return.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Intrepid1
sao paulo
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I had great expectations on this stay at Beau rivage..and Beau Rivage overcame them all !
the rooms are kind of small and not exactly my taste,but this hotel has the best concierge I ever had to deal with !! I went through a situation that I needed aditional help from both concierge and doorman..and both did above expected ,and made me feel they did it with pleasure !!
Great food with fair price for the quality .. beautiful grounds ,stunning pool..AND ABOVE ALL EXTRAORDINARY STAFF!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank serial2urist
Paris, France
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Having heard so many amazing things about this hotel, (and having fallen in love with the pictures on its web site) I actually made a stay at the Beau Rivage Palace a "requirement" when planning a four-week holiday in Europe. We stayed at a staggering selection of luxury hotels in every city including the Gritti Palace (Venice), Four Seasons Firenze, Claridges, Hassler, Le Bristol (Paris) and George V (Paris)and several other unbelievably great hotels, as we always do. For years, however, due to its reputation, trip advisor reviews and photos...staying here has always been a goal. I stayed at the Hotel des Bergues (Four Seasons in Geneva) last year and it was outstanding..but I still had this nagging feeling of regret that I did not stay here instead. In order to put my dream to rest, I came back to this part of Switzerland solely for the opportunity to stay at this storied place. Our first impressions were excellent. Indeed, the grand building, the lobby, the lawns, terrace all speak of the great grand palace hotel it is, or should be. Immediately upon arrival, one of the managers personally escorted us to the bar for a quick drink before showing us to our room. We had high expectations: we booked a junior suite at approximately $1000 per night and I personally wrote to the Front Office Manager to request a lovely, renovated room with a large terrace and spectacular view. The suite was huge but quantity is not quality and is never, to my mind a substitute. The great part: the view was undeniably awesome. Disappointingly we had a very small balcony, What really put me off and made me feel terribly cheated was the exceedingly shabby room decor and poor quality furniture and furnishings in the room. The furniture looked as if it had been left over from an estate sale, where all the good pieces had been taken by the members of the family before the "public" had a go at it. That is, there was no smart antiques or elegant fabrics, nor prized carpet or lovely lamps. Only old, banged-up and nicked reproduction furniture...not actual antiques just old furniture, cheap sconces and lamps and a generic oriental rug. The room was undeniably huge. The closet space was huge, as well. But the bedspread and sofa and chairs...all the upholstery and soft furnishings were tatty and stained and in need of re-doing. I peeked into the room next door, which was also a junior suite and it looked as if it were in a different hotel: although not done in the best of taste, it was luxurious compared to our room..... When I enquired I was told that both rooms were exactly the same price and were in the same category. It had been a long time since I had ever been shown to the "shabby" room, and having not complained, got stuck with it while a much better one was sitting just next door. (We dress well, speak French and have very nice, polite manners...we are not pushy, loud or obnoxious...so some of the usual reasons for getting short shrift cannot be targeted in this instance.)

But the most unbelievable thing, and I cannot believe that no one has mentioned this, is the bathroom! This enormous room (probably 12 x 18 ft.) with a free-standing jetted tub, looks out through a window onto the view of Lake Geneva and the Alps. But there was something terribly "off" about it. I first noticed a strange, plasticy smell...the kind of smell one finds on a new fiberglass boat, or when a plastic container melts a little because someone left it on top of a toaster. I finally figured out why it was one of the weirdest rooms I have ever been in!! The entire bathroom is meant to look like an expensive marble bathroom but it is enitrely made of plastic! If you look on the website at their "spectacular bathroom with free-standing tub" it looks like the real deal! But in this day and age at a luxury 5 plus star hotel? Molded plastic meant to imitate marble. The flooring is fake marble/fake ceramic. The wall tiles are fake marble/ fake ceramic, the built-ins are all cheap formica and the sink vanity tops are plastic with what appears to be a photo of marble imbedded in the plastic. It is all poured fiberglass countertops and so is the entire shower stall. It is quite extraordinary!

To me it looked exactly like the Poconos had landed on Lake Geneva. If it is any endorsement, my 8 year son old loved it. Even my husband was stunned (and not in a good way,) and he generally notices nothing. He hated the room, the smell of the linens (for which they give you a little bottle of perfume to spray on to mask the musty odor.)

I found the staff indifferent, and we were so put off by the disappointing quality of the rooms (especially in contrast to all the other amazing places we had stayed prior to our stop in Lausanne) that we were not relishing the thought of having to stay for the four nights we intended to stay. the object of the stay was a four day idyle on Lake Geneva in a stunning hotel, with great service, an unparalleled accomodation and great, old-world typical Swiss hospitality.The front office manager would not allow us to check out early without paying for all four nights (even though we did not book a non-refundable, non-cancellable type of reservation). Never, in all my years of travelling, has a hotel not allowed me to check out early if we found we were not enjoying our stay.

As far as service...the concierge knew absolutely nothing about the schedules for the various lake steamers; she completely screwed up an attempt to change some train tickets, and we were charged twice for tickets for the "chocolate train" (which I would not recommend). We were very put off by the stingy amenties in our room...a very small fruit platter and two small bottles of water. Obviously, any amenity is nice, but in every other hotel during our trip, we were plied with flowers, fruit, chocolates and even champagne in several hotels. We were treated to so many amenities along the way that we even returned a bottle of champagne at each of two different hotels, declined a "free" birthday cake on my birhtday, and returned a bottle of dessert wine (complete with biscotti) which was the umpteenth amenity we received at the Four Seasons in Florence.

My husband and son enjoyed the pool, and the view was stupendous. But without question this hotel was certainly nothing worth making a detour to experience. The list of hotels in Europe (even just in Switzerland) that outstrip this place is very long indeed. I am still shocked at the totally ordinary aspects of the hotel, the "in need of renovation" feel of the accommodations (and some of the public space) and the indifference of management. I certainly do not feel this hotel represents the best of the fabled Swiss Hotel industry and hospitality. I would recommend Park Hotel Vitznau if you want a stupendous view and a "palace" style hotel beautifully situated on a lake with the Alps in the background or Hotel des Bergues Four Seasons, Geneva.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple