“Simply stunning!”
Review of Beau-Rivage Palace

Beau-Rivage Palace
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This is the quintessential Grand Hotel - it's simply stunning, with one of the most beautiful terraces I've ever sat on - overlooking Lake Geneva with fantastic views over to Evian and the mountains beyond. The rooms are spotless, comfortable and most seem to have a balcony where you can sit and marvel at the gorgeous views. There are three great restaurants - the Michelin starred Sophie Pic, a great little Japanese place and a very comfortable cafe bistro as well as two great bars. But most of all the service everywhere in this hotel is simply outstanding. From the moment you arrive at the front desk, to the concierge, and the staff in the bars and the restaurants - it's all faultless. Everyone is incredibly polite in that wonderful formal Swiss way and nothing is too much trouble.I loved this hotel - I could easily have spent the entire weekend not moving one inch away from it. A fantastic place for complete relaxation.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank brill95
Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Unlike some of the reviewers who had "plastic" bathrooms, we stayed in the retty much lowest level "comfort room" (no lake view) and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Our bathroom was marble, marble everywhere and was of great size with two sinks, wonderful water pressure, a full shower curtain, and it even had a balcony.

Room measured 16 X 23 and had plenty of closet space, furnishings were in good repair, and the housekeeping was excellent.

Hotel staff were very helpful, friendly, etc.

Enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool and the large hot tub next to the pool.

Easy walk to the lakefront and to the Metro from the hotel.

Great weekend stay and will certainly return.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Intrepid1
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I had great expectations on this stay at Beau rivage..and Beau Rivage overcame them all !
the rooms are kind of small and not exactly my taste,but this hotel has the best concierge I ever had to deal with !! I went through a situation that I needed aditional help from both concierge and doorman..and both did above expected ,and made me feel they did it with pleasure !!
Great food with fair price for the quality .. beautiful grounds ,stunning pool..AND ABOVE ALL EXTRAORDINARY STAFF!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank serial2urist
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Having heard so many amazing things about this hotel, (and having fallen in love with the pictures on its web site) I actually made a stay at the Beau Rivage Palace a "requirement" when planning a four-week holiday in Europe. We stayed at a staggering selection of luxury hotels in every city including the Gritti Palace (Venice), Four Seasons Firenze, Claridges, Hassler, Le Bristol (Paris) and George V (Paris)and several other unbelievably great hotels, as we always do. For years, however, due to its reputation, trip advisor reviews and photos...staying here has always been a goal. I stayed at the Hotel des Bergues (Four Seasons in Geneva) last year and it was outstanding..but I still had this nagging feeling of regret that I did not stay here instead. In order to put my dream to rest, I came back to this part of Switzerland solely for the opportunity to stay at this storied place. Our first impressions were excellent. Indeed, the grand building, the lobby, the lawns, terrace all speak of the great grand palace hotel it is, or should be. Immediately upon arrival, one of the managers personally escorted us to the bar for a quick drink before showing us to our room. We had high expectations: we booked a junior suite at approximately $1000 per night and I personally wrote to the Front Office Manager to request a lovely, renovated room with a large terrace and spectacular view. The suite was huge but quantity is not quality and is never, to my mind a substitute. The great part: the view was undeniably awesome. Disappointingly we had a very small balcony, What really put me off and made me feel terribly cheated was the exceedingly shabby room decor and poor quality furniture and furnishings in the room. The furniture looked as if it had been left over from an estate sale, where all the good pieces had been taken by the members of the family before the "public" had a go at it. That is, there was no smart antiques or elegant fabrics, nor prized carpet or lovely lamps. Only old, banged-up and nicked reproduction furniture...not actual antiques just old furniture, cheap sconces and lamps and a generic oriental rug. The room was undeniably huge. The closet space was huge, as well. But the bedspread and sofa and chairs...all the upholstery and soft furnishings were tatty and stained and in need of re-doing. I peeked into the room next door, which was also a junior suite and it looked as if it were in a different hotel: although not done in the best of taste, it was luxurious compared to our room..... When I enquired I was told that both rooms were exactly the same price and were in the same category. It had been a long time since I had ever been shown to the "shabby" room, and having not complained, got stuck with it while a much better one was sitting just next door. (We dress well, speak French and have very nice, polite manners...we are not pushy, loud or obnoxious...so some of the usual reasons for getting short shrift cannot be targeted in this instance.)

But the most unbelievable thing, and I cannot believe that no one has mentioned this, is the bathroom! This enormous room (probably 12 x 18 ft.) with a free-standing jetted tub, looks out through a window onto the view of Lake Geneva and the Alps. But there was something terribly "off" about it. I first noticed a strange, plasticy smell...the kind of smell one finds on a new fiberglass boat, or when a plastic container melts a little because someone left it on top of a toaster. I finally figured out why it was one of the weirdest rooms I have ever been in!! The entire bathroom is meant to look like an expensive marble bathroom but it is enitrely made of plastic! If you look on the website at their "spectacular bathroom with free-standing tub" it looks like the real deal! But in this day and age at a luxury 5 plus star hotel? Molded plastic meant to imitate marble. The flooring is fake marble/fake ceramic. The wall tiles are fake marble/ fake ceramic, the built-ins are all cheap formica and the sink vanity tops are plastic with what appears to be a photo of marble imbedded in the plastic. It is all poured fiberglass countertops and so is the entire shower stall. It is quite extraordinary!

To me it looked exactly like the Poconos had landed on Lake Geneva. If it is any endorsement, my 8 year son old loved it. Even my husband was stunned (and not in a good way,) and he generally notices nothing. He hated the room, the smell of the linens (for which they give you a little bottle of perfume to spray on to mask the musty odor.)

I found the staff indifferent, and we were so put off by the disappointing quality of the rooms (especially in contrast to all the other amazing places we had stayed prior to our stop in Lausanne) that we were not relishing the thought of having to stay for the four nights we intended to stay. the object of the stay was a four day idyle on Lake Geneva in a stunning hotel, with great service, an unparalleled accomodation and great, old-world typical Swiss hospitality.The front office manager would not allow us to check out early without paying for all four nights (even though we did not book a non-refundable, non-cancellable type of reservation). Never, in all my years of travelling, has a hotel not allowed me to check out early if we found we were not enjoying our stay.

As far as service...the concierge knew absolutely nothing about the schedules for the various lake steamers; she completely screwed up an attempt to change some train tickets, and we were charged twice for tickets for the "chocolate train" (which I would not recommend). We were very put off by the stingy amenties in our room...a very small fruit platter and two small bottles of water. Obviously, any amenity is nice, but in every other hotel during our trip, we were plied with flowers, fruit, chocolates and even champagne in several hotels. We were treated to so many amenities along the way that we even returned a bottle of champagne at each of two different hotels, declined a "free" birthday cake on my birhtday, and returned a bottle of dessert wine (complete with biscotti) which was the umpteenth amenity we received at the Four Seasons in Florence.

My husband and son enjoyed the pool, and the view was stupendous. But without question this hotel was certainly nothing worth making a detour to experience. The list of hotels in Europe (even just in Switzerland) that outstrip this place is very long indeed. I am still shocked at the totally ordinary aspects of the hotel, the "in need of renovation" feel of the accommodations (and some of the public space) and the indifference of management. I certainly do not feel this hotel represents the best of the fabled Swiss Hotel industry and hospitality. I would recommend Park Hotel Vitznau if you want a stupendous view and a "palace" style hotel beautifully situated on a lake with the Alps in the background or Hotel des Bergues Four Seasons, Geneva.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Dancemacabre
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I stayed here for the first time for three nights in August 2009. I have to say that I was a little apprehensive that the style might be a bit too snooty, but it was anything but ! The public rooms of the hotel are magnificent but somehow this is not in the least off-putting. In fact, the hotel was one of the most relaxing places we stayed in a three week trip. All the staff - from the bar staff to the very helpful concierge who got me an emergency dental appointment at very short notice - were very friendly and charming. The bedroom was huge with gorgeous views over Lake Leman and the French Alps on the far side. It was exceptionally comfortable and quiet. The facilities at the hotel are perfect - there is a very smart Ann Sophie Pic gourmet restaurant but you can also eat very good food on the hotel terrace overlooking the Lake or - at street level, a very buzzy bar and brasserie or a Japanese restaurant which are cleverly situated at some distance from the hotel so that hotel guests are not disturbed by the noise. The pool is excellent - very well laid out with outdoor and indoor areas and there is a large spa. But best of all the atmosphere in all parts of the hotel is very relaxed - there was no insistence on dressing or behaving in a particular way. The hotel makes everyone feel welcome, and I did not get the impression anywhere (although I was not in the Ann Sophie Pic restaurant) that jeans or shorts are a "no no" .

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Irishguest
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Fantastic Hotel, in all respects. Great food, ambience, views, staff, rooms, you name it. Makes you feel like a King!!!! Truely a Palace worth staying in. The view of the lake from the rooms is simply breadthtaking. Dont miss staying at this Hotel for anything in the World (if it fits in your budget). It beats the Marriotts, Four Seasons, Ritz, Inter Continental, you name it. One of my finest experiences ever !!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 9, 2009

A great setting, I advise getting a lakeview room. Dine at the outdoor Beau-Rivage patio. They made the kids whatever they wanted. Very high quality food.
Walk along the lake pathway or metro (simi-subway) up the hill to town.

Great pools and healthclub. Friendly roomservice.
Simply one of the best places in the world for older kids and parents. Plenty for everyone to do. Without kids it would remain one of the best hotels in the world.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Antonda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lausanne
Hotel Royal Savoy Lausanne
Agora Swiss Night by Fassbind
14 mi away
Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Movenpick Hotel Lausanne

Been to Beau-Rivage Palace? Share your experiences!