“Good location, clean and helpful staff”
Review of Hotel AlaGare

Hotel AlaGare
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
New York City, New York
“Good location, clean and helpful staff”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

This hotel is right next to Lausanne Gard (a major train station, and Metro stop), about halfway between the waterfront (Ouchy) and the old part of town. The hotel will give you a free Metro card for your stay and it's very easy and convenient to get around to the places you need to see in Lausanne.

The room itself was clean, relatively modern and comfortable. The bed was a bit hard and not the most comfortable, but passable. Though we were on the train station side of the hotel, it was actually relatively quiet when the window was shut. Could barely hear the trains at all. Might recommend some ear plugs if you can't sleep with ANY noise whatsoever.

The breakfast was a cold breakfast which was solid, but not spectacular.

The Hotel staff was friendly and helpful with recommendations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank facted

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We had a one night stay here driving from France into Italy.
It was perfectly comfortable and easy to find. The receptionist spoke good English and the breakfast was plentiful and good quality. Not only was the lift tiny but the bathroom was extremely small! If you are an oversized individual you may have to put up without bathing for the duration of your stay here!
We decided to eat dinner in the little restaurant which adjoins the hotel and found it to be typically Swiss in decor. We ate fondue and rosti just to make the most of our short time here. The waiter was entertaining in a Basil Fawtly kind of way.
On our way out of Lausanne we drove the short distance from the hotel to the lake and found easy parking for the car. We walked along the foreshore for a while and took some stunning photos before a great drive over the alps.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Colorado
Reviewed April 16, 2011

This is a convenient, simple hotel right next to the train station. Easy access to everything; metro stop a block away. Our room overlooked the railroad but the triple-glazed window and curtain together did a great job of keeping us from being disturbed by any noise. The room was quite small and the bathroom tiny, which we expected. The continental breakfast was lovely with wonderful pastries, perfectly ripe fruit, hard-boiled eggs, cheeses, and good coffee. The beds were extremely firm. Very friendly staff. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingJulius
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My stay was Feb 25th to Feb 27th, 2011. I was here for two nights. I booked the hotel after reading the TripAdvisor reviews.

Ok, first let me say I very much liked the hotel and the staff. The location was great as it about 100 yards from the train station exit once you hit the street. I looked at the pictures on Google Earth so once I saw the street it looked familiar and I felt I was going the right way, which I was. If you want a 5 star hotel this might not be the hotel for you. But if you want a quaint, charming, clean hotel with good prices and a good staff this is an excellent choice. They serve breakfast from 6:30-10 in a room on the fourth floor. I found the breakfast to be perfect for me but I do not eat a lot for breakfast. The choices for breakfast included - cheese, meats,cereal, different kinds of bread, very good coffee, yogurt, fruit and I'm sure a few other things I'm forgetting. Even though it is buffet style the staff was very attentive and brought my carafe of coffee very quickly.

A few reviewers on here had problems with the internet. I had a problem only the first time I tried but then no problems whatsoever afterward so maybe it was something I was doing wrong. The speed was fine as well and I was doing this in my room. If you do sit in the lobby to use the internet there they have quite good music playing as well.

I saw a review where someone complained about noise from the train station. My room faced the street and I had no noise issues there, well other than a drunken Frenchman at 2:30 in the morning but being an American I found it rather humorous.

Stephane at the front desk was very helpful with restaurant ideas and his choices were all good. He also helped me get my postcard postage and mailed them for me.

Others here have commented on the room size and it is true that the rooms, the bathrooms and closet are quite small. But they are clean and cozy. I am not sure if any of the rooms are larger, I believe they have 6 rooms per floor and maybe 30-36 rooms in the hotel. The elevator is small but it is the coolest thing you'll ever see.

I'm also attaching a picture of a cafe which about 2 store fronts away from the hotel on the other side of the street. I went in there a few times for coffee but I noticed at lunch and dinner this place was always packed so I believe it must be good and what I had was quite nice. You might give it a try.

Alrighty I hope this helps and if you need anything else just send me a message. I am attaching a few pictures as well.

Ciao

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Viper2011
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The rooms are funky, small, and tucked away on random levels across from capricious elevators. Our tiny room had a bathroom at each end. Breakfast was on the top floor (use the right elevator and exit into the middle of the room). It was filling and offered me something I had been searching for in Switzerland--my own pitcher of hot chocolate for breakfast. The staff was helpful and friendly, although at times a little overwhelmed. Location below the train station was perfect for us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Glennn999
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We arrived in Lausanne without a hotel and were quiet nervous about how much we would have to pay. Luckily Tourist Info found this hotel which was reasonable and provided good, spacious and comfortable accomodation for the price. The proximity to the station was excellent for us as we were interailing and although it didn't have whistes and bells it served our needs very well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Supergrannieisgreat
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Stayed one night on way to Italy. Only a few steps from the station.Room was tiny but bathroom quite spacious. All very clean and had all you needed for a good nights stay.
Good breakfast provided , breakfast room being built into the attic.
Tiny but nice.