“Nice place for short stay”

Agora Swiss Night by Fassbind
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Warsaw, Poland
“Nice place for short stay”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Seems tha Agora is relativey good priced among hotels in Lausanne. It is very closely located to main train station. The hotel is not spectacular but rather nice. Service is good, supportive and attentive. Breakfast room is located on top floor so have great view over Lausanne and Lake. The issue I coul dsee is rather small room and problems with mobile network

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 25, 2013

In April, I visited lausanne to attend a meeting and booked a room for four nights at the Agora Swiss. This was my first visit to Lausanne and based on previous reviews felt that this would be a good bet. Overall my experience was good. The hotel is located very near to the railway station and was not a problem walking to even with my luggage. The hotel itself is small, pretty and gives a very neat look. Its location is nice, in a quiet area and very close to the Grancy metro. Switzerland is an expensive country and the Agora appeared to be a good bargain at CHF 143 per night. However, the hotel has a policy of no early checkin untill the guest pays 50% of the one night tariff. I felt this was excessive especially when I had a booking for four nights. I reached Lausanne around 10 am and wanted to freshen up before going out but was told that I could check-in only at 2 pm, so I was left with no option but to go for sightseeing in Lausanne. The one good thing about most Lausanne hotels is that all guests get a free metro pass to go around. The hotel room was small but well laid out and very neat. It was well designed making best use within the small space. I had breakfast on my first morning and was disappointed with the spread especially with the price of CHF 22. On other days, I went to the nearby cafes which are in plenty around the hotel. One that I would strongly recommend is the Cafe de Grancy. Overall, I was on a business trip, had a good experience and would recommend the Agora again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dg18972
Lausanne
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We brought my parents on their 40th wedding anniversary to take a European trip. This hotel is in a terrific location but unfortunately our stay at this hotel thus far has been marred due to the service.
The rooms are modern and clean, the rooftop breakfast area beautiful. We booked two rooms, they were directly across the hall from each other. The plan was for my parents to stay in one and my brother, pregnant sister in law and myself to stay in the other.
Unfortunately, one of the two rooms we booked does not have working air conditioning, which is difficult for our elderly parents and also for my pregnant sister in law. When we first approached the front desk about this - the concierge informed me it was because we had recently taken a shower. Upon my informing him that the showers in both rooms had been used (and only 1 room had this problem, also last shower was 3 hours ago) and that one room had in fact been hot from the get go,he came down to verify that indeed it was hot in the one room (the hallways and in fact the temperature outside of the hotel were cooler). He pointed out that I had only turned the dial to 15C and it had to be turned down lower. It was probably about 26C in the room. He told me It would take atleast half an hour to notice any difference.
The concierge then informed me that there had been a ban on air conditioning before 8 pm (it was 10:30 pm), which also made no sense or bearing, since the other room was very cold (more like 20C). He also informed me that Switzerland had a policy that the hotels couldn't be more than 6C cooler than the outdoor temperature (which also was not applicable, since our room was HOTTER than the corridor and also hotter than outside).
Shirtly after, the lights then went out in the cold room - I (in the hot room with working lights) called upstairs and were told that they would send somebody (our room is one floor below the main floor). They then called the dark room and asked my elderly father to make his way across the pitch dark room and flip the fuse switch somewhere near the door. Luckily I heard my father talking on the phone, since my room door was open to try to get some air - and called the desk to ask why they weren't sending someone when they said they were.

The air conditioning is still not working and I am hoping that it is rectified before the end of our stay. I also hope that there are reasonable explanations in future when services don't work, rather a litany of excuses that are not logical. Fingers crossed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Janey H
Amsterdam, NL
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just minutes away from Lausanne main rail station, and literally 1 minute away from Grancy metro, the location couldn't be better. Using the free public transport pass (provided to you upon check in), getting up and down town is hassle free. We spent quite a lot of time down at Ouchy (waterfront) so having the metro next door was perfect (it's only 3 stops down). It's in a quiet neighbourhood, and there's a nice park and botanical gardens a few minutes walk down the hill (take the path upwards when in the park - you'll get a great view of the city, lake and Alps).

The hotel looks new, nicely renovated - more boutique style than chain. Friendly, knowledgeable staff.

The room was perfect - not much in the way of having a view (rooms at the back probably do though). Get outside and enjoy the fresh air and the amazing views from elsewhere in the city. Nice, tidy, cool design. Tea, coffee, and an iron (just in case you need it - most hotels tend to offer these on request only). Comfy bed! Some reviewers have slated the fact that the bathroom is glass enclosed. Well, I guess like us, as well as a lot of guests, this will not be a problem with couples (unless you're prudes). And besides, it's an exaggeration to say that it is completely open without privacy. It's not clear glass throughout, and hey - just ask whichever stranger you are lodging with to give you some privacy if need be :o)

Overall, considering the look and design of the hotel, comfort, location - it will be difficult to find much better value! Didn't try the breakfast, which is not included. And there is a neat fitness room downstairs.

Tips:
Art Brut - a must see collection of strange and often incredible art
Cafe de Grancy - nice restaurant almost next door to the hotel - had brunch, must reserve!! Was lovely...
Montreux/Chillon - there's a round trip boat ride (cgn.ch) from Lausanne-Ouchy to Chillon. After much deliberating, we decided on taking a morning train to Montreux, walk to Chillon, then take the boat from there back to Lausanne. The walk is lovely, and as the mountain views are pretty much constant throughout the region, the boat return to Lausanne was perfect to take in the Lavaux views. Took a 1st class ticket though - the upper deck was lovely with deckchairs and benches - it was really worth the extra francs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyMaxx
Tadcaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

very easy to walk to from the station, yet quiet location and comfortable rooms. Nice modern 'swiss' feel to it. Nothing in Switzerland is inexpensive for the UK traveller, but the hotel is reasonable value for money on that basis. Free wifi is appreciated and there are gym facilities (we didn't use them) and breakfast (again we didn't use) . Only negatives are minor - pillows very soft and don't support your head, nice shower but inevitably it splashes out of the tray on to the floor.
First challenge is to find the correct door to your room, when you get on to the bedroom corridor - a little teaser which we did solve without having to go back to receptiona and look foolish asking where the room was!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Perfect location near the main station, half way between the lake and the old town. Loved the decor, it was incredibly clean and the shower was massive with great water pressure, which is relaxing after a big day exploring. I also loved the breakfast restaurant. Such a great idea putting it on the top floor so everyone can enjoy the view and not just those that can afford penthouse suites. In expensive Switzerland its worth the CHF22, or there is a LonelyPlanet recommended restaurant/cafe two doors up but its quite expensive. Also appreciated the gym.

Only having 2 teabags for a twin room and then making you pay CHF4.90 in the reception if you wanted another cup seemed a bit of a money making scam to me. Would have loved a robe too! And enough with the feather pillow already, you'll need to fold them in half!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our original plans took us no where near Lausanne, but because we decided to travel by rail to Rome (an excellent decision) instead of flying from Frankfurt to Rome, Lausanne and the Agora Swiss became one of our overnight stops on the way to Italy.

This is a very modern, well kept and it looks like newly built or renovated hotel - everything is sparkling clean, with bright colors and environmentally intelligent additions. The rooms are not large but certainly comfortable for 2 people with a great bed and a unique bathroom that doesn't have the usual doors and privacy fixtures but is very functional and once you get used to the open space, everything is good.

Breakfast is amazing - not only the nice layout and presentation of various food, drinks, and great coffee but the location of the breakfast couldn't be better - at the top of the hotel, overlooking Lausanne.

The other aspect of the hotel we really liked was its close proximity to the railway station - no issues getting to and from the station - literally 5 minutes walking distance away.

Certainly, if we return some day to Lausanne, it's a hotel we would certainly make a return visit to.

Room Tip: Upper floors are probably better from a view perspective since the hotel is nestled between some lar...