“Fair price at good location”

Hotel Alpha-Palmiers
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is a good hotel, conveniently located 5mins walking distance from Lausanne’s train station.
It’s a recent hotel, ideal for a business stay: good business centre, offering all the modern utilities for either conferences or consumer researches.
Rooms are small, but clean and with comfortable beds and modern furniture. Internet connection in the rooms is very unreliable.
I didn’t have breakfast, however I had some food during meetings, and it was fine.
Reception staff was friendly.
I definitely recommend this hotel. Moreover I found it very reasonably priced for Lausanne.

Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The closeness to the train station is nice, but that's as far as I'm going to go saying that. There are so many pickpockets and beggars near the metro/ train station that I have to keep looking behind me to see if I'm followed. Honestly, I thought coming to Lausanne and as Switzerland being the "safest place on Earth!" (yeah, right, by the way) I felt very wary. I've been to parts of Asia and even India and NEVER have felt this way before. Also, the wifi is probably the worst thing I've ever witnessed. The signal in the rooms is spotty at best. However, the rooms, in contrast are simple, nominalistic, and modern. I like how it is roomy and the bathrooms are nice. There is the very, very, nice thing of air conditioning. Even the lobby is nice. Despite everything, there's a lot to be desired here. If you don't mind being harassed on your way into town everyday, I would recommend this hotel. The price is much more reasonable than those of the hotels by the water, which is certainly a plus!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Everything about the hotel was great, except for the attitude and arrogance of the people working the reception desk and the additional charges. Although they provide the usual sign for the door (housekeeping service please, vs. do not disturb), they do not seem to believe in it. I did not need housekeeping services every day, yet they would call me from the reception desk everyday in disbelief. I asked for a flower vase or even a carafe from the restaurant, but that seemed to be an impossible request to accommodate. The surcharges on top of the cost of room are tremendous: 2.80 Swiss Franks "taxe de sejour" per day. Don't ever think of using the telephone in your room even for a local call - it will cost you more than roaming on your cell phone. Laundry fees are exhorbitant - it wiil be less expensive to throw the dirty laundry away and buy new things.
Alex

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Alex285
Reviewed July 29, 2012

If you are used to at least getting a sandwich/cold snack after 10 p.m. at night then this hotel is definitely not for you. We arrived approx 9.45 p.m. from a flight into Geneva to be told that the kitchen was closed & no food was available in the hotel until breakfast time. We were directed to McDonalds down the street or to the railway station supermarket in search of dinner.

As mentioned by other contributors the bathroom wall, which is right behind the bed, is made of frosted glass. See photo below. The minute the bathroom light is switched on, the entire bedroom is flooded in light and any sleeping partners are immediately woken up. So not good if sharing with someone who pays bathroom visits in the night or has to get up very early first thing in the morning. No way will you sleep through it.

On our second morning's stay, there was no hot water in the bathroom for morning showers. I telephoned reception to report the situation. Nothing happened for 35 minutes until my husband called down again to reception. We were then told that the hotel's boiler had gone and that the entire hotel had no hot water. The problem would not be fixed until much later in the morning or lunchtime. Whilst we accept that machinery can sometimes fail, the complete lack of customer service was frustrating and disappointing in a supposedly 4 star hotel. Nobody had taken the time or effort to call us back in our room to explain the situation. We had no idea of when it might be possible to get a hot shower. Cold showers were taken.

For the money, I'd go elsewhere for a good night's sleep, receptive and informative hotel staff & more catering facilities to suit individual traveller's needs.

3  Thank worldseerCambridge
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Arrogant welcome.
Came in late, after 1.500 km. in car. 22.04, but the restaurant closed 22.00, so no understanding, no food.
The room is okay, not real clean, but okay. Water change from boiling HOT to ice cold, depending of your neighbors use of hot water.
Next day, down for lunch 14.06, but no way, restaurant close at 14.00. Okay, we where late again.
Bartender don't understand one word of English, and don't wan't to. Hard to order.

Room service only when normal two restaurant is open, 12.00-14.00 and 18.30 - 22.00, but that is not when you need room service, is it ? NOTHING at any other time.

If you wan't to iron yourselves, believe into magic, the ironing table is smaller than a tissue.
MINI bar, closet, and the/coffee machine is inside the toilet room, never seen that before, not very hygienic.

I choose this hotel partly because it has a Thai restaurant, as I love Thai food, and it would make my working day easier, BUT, after 2 days, it closed for 1 month of vacation, but it is still in the add for the hotel, Surprise, surprise.

But but but, we had service and good food, as Mr. Sinisa and he's team in the two restaurant's make magic, REAL GOOD food, super service, always good for a smile and laughter, THEY know their business, and the rest of the hotel should follow them for a day or two, and learn what service is. I think two of the best restaurants in the city.

You just don't, in any way, fell at home in this hotel.

It is sad, as it would take very little efforts to bring this hotel up to 4 real stars, as it is a nice hotel, and all it needs is there, but as it is, no way.

I am traveling every second week, for many years, to good hotels, makes reviews in our national guide book, therefor my review are based on MANY other experiences.

5  Thank TheTravellingDane
Reviewed July 13, 2012

although the hotel has been recently and nicely decorated, the bathroom walls are made of frosted glass. If sharing a room you will wake up the other person if you turn on the bathroom light at night. Also the nightstand lamps are placed on the wall about a foot above the pillow, you should move the bed away before you go to bed so you dont bump yopur head on it.
Warning: if you try to check in late morning you will be charged 50% more for early checkin (no the person that checked out early doesn't get a 50% discount. After coming in on an overnight flight and wanting to rest I wasn't about to pay 50% more so I will never come iback to a hotel tht has the room available and clean but will not let me go in unless I pay 50% extra.
So Alpha is really Omega.

2  Thank g z
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel was wonderful, the accomodations and staff were outstanding. My husband, son and I missed our boat from Capri to Sorrento and ended up taking a boat to Naples and consequently a long cab ride back to the hotel. My parents, both 75 yrsd old were at the Alpha Hotel, and understandable VERY worried and upset. For three hours the staff called all the local police, and tried to find and comofrt them. My Mother was most grateful, and the staff was like our extended family. I would recommend them any day, and twice on Sunday. This is a great family place, andif you want a wonderful experience, this is the place.

Sincerely, the Kametler Family and the Minns family

Room Tip: All were great, rooms were very clean and bathrooms very western.