“Liked it”

Best Western Plus Hotel Mirabeau
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I chose this hotel for my French-speaking Switzerland journey and I was not disappointed at all. My requirement was air conditioning so I took a business-class room. Service was good - as far as I used it. Hotel is decorated in a nice retro style and the room was in a good condition. I was on the third floor (guest rooms start from the first floor) and road noise isolation was very good.

Location is great, to reach the railway station just walk downhill for, say, 10
minutes. My room had a silent minibar. Paid WiFi is claimed - actually it is provided by Swisscom. No omelette was available for the breakfast but this could be compensated with eggs. Restaurant was good quality but the portions were a little less than desired, good for health though. A free computer with Internet connection was available.

Problems: isolation from bathroom of a neighbouring room - noise from the shower could be heard so the isolation was just satisfactory. Bath cleaning could be a little improved.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank PaulZM
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Hotel Mirabeau

Reviewed December 10, 2009

Only stayed one night but reception staff friendly, restaurant excellent, room spacious and clean. Less than ten minutes walk from the station.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This is a 4 star hotel (and not 3 star, as presented in the tripadvisor site). It is very conveniently located, a few minutes from the railway station, and with stations of two main bus lines , Nos. 1 and 2, right near the hotel. The lake view from the rooms on the back side is very nice. The service was very efficient, and the room very clean. The hotel was apparently refurbished in good old style, and looks very respectable. The continental breakfast is good as such.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Travelling in a large group we needed a hotel with a reasonable number of rooms, and the Mirabeau suited our purpose. Conveniently situated near to the station, about a 15 minute walk above the lake the hotel offered reasonable rooms for a reasonable rate, inclusive of a very nice self service continental breakfast. Everything about the hotel was functional rather than cosy or trendy, typical of the Best Western chain, which I have used several times. I travelled without some toiletry items and the hotel was good enough to offer replacements without charge, which was appreciated. Free internet connection was appreciated.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank awsculli
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for two weeks on business. Hotel is situated about a 10 minute walk from train station slightly uphill. You can access the hotel via bus from the train station. The bus stop is located almost directly in front of the hotel. The check-in process was quick and smooth. Make sure you get the travel card which is included in the room price. This card allows unlimited transportation at no additional cost for the immediate Lausanne area. This included the buses and trains. Helpful when navigating the hilly area. My room was a non-smoking, one bed room on the 4th floor (5th floor for those of us in the US). The room was clean and appeared as if it was vacuumed daily. The bedding was quite comfortable. The bedding (at least the sheets) looked like they may have been changed every other day. The room had a decent view of Lake Geneva, when it wasn't foggy. The one window in the room, contained shutters and could be opened to allow in fresh air. I really liked the shutters. They could be lowered at night to keep out all light and also allowed for longer sleeping in the morning. That is if construction is not going on. I was there for one weekend and on the Saturday I was awakened by the sound of drilling and loud talking. I am not sure what was happening and where, but it was either next door or over my head and it was loud. Other than that, the room was quiet. On occassion I could hear someone talking in the room next door. But it wasn't an issue. The room had a mini-bar which contained the normal mini-bar items. It also looked as though there was room for storage of personal items in the mini-bar. The bathroom was clean and always had fresh towels. The bathroom did not have a tub, but had a very small shower. I felt as though I was showing in a closet. When I watched TV, it functioned well. I did have to unplug the TV, then plug back in to reset the clock as the time wasn't changing when I first arrived. The hotel could stand to upgrade to flat panel TV's. The service on the TV to view my charges did not function at all while I was there. I requested the use of an iron and ironing board while there. They both arrived quickly from the staff and were brand new. Once I was finished, I just left the iron and board outside of my door and they picked them up. Breakfast was daily and included in my room charge. It consisted of the usual . . .cheeses, breads, juices, yogurts, cereals, meats, fruits, and boiled eggs, with plenty of coffee and tea. Most mornings the breakfast was in the restaurant. This made for a nice setting. A couple of mornings, breakfast was held in a ball room. More space, but the room was stuffy and very smokey. It may have been okay if you were able to get in before the chain smokers arrived. Not a lot of air moving in the room. The hotel does have a full service restaurant and a seperate bar. The checkout process was smooth and quick. Final bill was accurate. All in all, not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank rlejr66
Reviewed January 4, 2009

My husband visits this hotel very often for business and we recently stayed here to do househunting in Lausanne, for 8 days. The furniture is a little old but wellkept and clean. The bed was wonderful!!Linen was changed every 2nd day. Bathroom small but very clean and sufficient.. Clean fluffy towels everyday. Our cleaninglady cleaned the room everyday and it was wonderful to come back in the afternoons to a made up room. We didn't use the little bar refrigerature. Rooms service coffee/tea was free in the mornings. We LOVED the coffee and tea. Freshly brewed whenever you ordered. The food in the restaurant was of the best!!!BReakfast was great.....unless you are a very big eater and has to order baked eggs etc. The breakfastbuffet had fresh breads and french rolls/croissants(yum)frech cold meats and sausages. 2 kinds of cheese, cold boiled eggs. Service of the highest standard. The hotel is 800yards from the station and close to a lot of restaurants. I will gladly go here anytime in the future.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank MissMocca
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I recently stayed in the Mirabeau for one night on business. I found the staff knowledgeable and courteous without fault. The room was much nicer than my experiences elsewhere on the same trip through Europe. I had the opportunity to have dinner in your dining room and was impressed with the service and the food I ate.

All this aside, I was blown away by the extraordinary service I experienced the day I checked out. I was surprised to find that not only had someone run into my car in the hotel garage but the hotel staff had made arrangements to contact the rental car company and have another car brought in waiting for me when I was ready to leave. It would have been very easy to let me deal with the repercussions on my own but they coordinated all of this, including all the paperwork, before I was even made aware of the problem. This speaks volumes for the exceptional service they provide. I am amazed and extremely impressed!

Chris

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ChristopherY