All reviews old town james joyce train station lake view lake geneva belle epoque bit dated within walking distance central location triple room beds were comfortable yogurt town centre french alps visit lausanne balcony switzerland
Selected filters
Reviewed January 13, 2019 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of days in a corner double room. The main bedroom was huge and the views were to die for.
Recently refurbished, the rooms and the bathrooms were really very very good.
Breakfast was not lavish but more than adequate. Staff was very helpful and always smiling.
Within walking distance of the high street, this is really a great choice for tourists.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2018

We stayed at the Hotel de la Paix, Lausanne, for one night in November 2018. This historic hotel was built in 1910 and it features an impressive classical architecture. It is also very centrally located.

When I made the booking online, I asked for a Triple room with view to the lake - since that was a possibility indicated in the room description. However, I received an e-mail shortly after my request, informing me that Triple rooms were standard and had no lake view, and that in case I wanted a lake view, I had to update to a Suite. When I replied that I had found that possibility in the room description, the hotel informed me that they would correct the mistake in the room description; they were very polite and offered me a room update for free. This is a great example of high quality customer service.

Apart from the staff being very polite, the hotel is very elegant and our room was fantastic. It was very spacious and it offered a great view on the lake. The bathroom was also very luxurious.

Last but not least, the hotel features a parking on-site, which was very convenient, and all visitors get free passes for all Lausanne media of transport.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, the view and the tranquility. I would certainly recommend the Hotel de la Paix as a top accommodation choice in Lausanne.

Room tip: If you can afford it, choose a suite. It is very spacious and has an amazing view on the lake!
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

The view from our balcony gave us a view across the city and the lake. With a train stop a short walk away and within the old section of the city, there is lots to do and see within walking distance.

Breakfast and dinner were very good and the staff was helpful and courteous.

The hotel is a bit dated, but was clean and well attended.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2018

We arrived in the afternoon and left the car at the hotel parking, where the personnel is very kind. The “welcome” at the reception during check-in is very cold, at best. The rooms are OK but old and substandard for a Lausanne downtown hotel room paid CHF 230 a night (city view). The Italian-speaking lady at check-out did not bother to say bonjour or hello, and was very irritated that I asked to check if by chance I had left my ID at the reception desk the day before. Zero effort to look for my ID, which I finally found in my hand baggage. No au revoir, no goodbye. This hotel has evidently a problem with receptionists: below I copied a few unedited excerpts of comments/observations written by other travelers on TripAdvisor:
•“Nice hotel but very rude staff. Its just a shame the hotel is let down by their rude staff at the check in desk/reception.”
•“service attitude of staff a deficit”
•“I am astonished by the very unfriendly manner of the lady at the reception (said to be the chief in charge this afternoon)… she did not even look at my face or say hello when I first arrived. ”
•“Réception minimaliste, personnel très froid. ”
•“Personnel plus ou moins agréable selon les personnes, on a souvent eu l'impression de les déranger, par contre le service voiturier est cher mais impeccable.”
I will not come back to this hotel.

Date of stay: October 2018
2  Thank ViaggioLento58
Reviewed October 19, 2018 via mobile

Good 4 star property. Staff is very welcoming and happy to assist you anytime. Dinner and breakfast were absolutely delicious.
Our suite was very comfortable. The decoration however was over simplistic and a bit dated. Very good location (700 m from the train station) Definitely a good experience.

Date of stay: October 2018