“Huge Burgers!”
Review of L'Etoile Blanche

L'Etoile Blanche
Reserve with
L'Etoile Blanche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 697 Restaurants in Lausanne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Major place for people living in Lausanne. We go there to drink a coffee, taste a dish (brasserie style) or spend a great evening in the bar. Music and theme evening are proposed
Kota Bharu, Malaysia
“Huge Burgers!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

If you find yourself hungry after all the shopping on Rue du Bourg. Head down to this establishment, located around the corner. Of it could be the other way around. Eat first for the heavy shopping later. Huge burgers enough for two! And to top it off, they give you a bucket of fries to go with it.

A bit crowded but you can always choose to sit outside along the sidewalk. Service was fast and friendly. No English menu but the waiters could speak English. Well, worse comes to worst, just ask for the burger. It sounds the same in French or in English.

• Visited August 2013

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Best Brunch in Lausanne”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I love this place. I have only eaten brunch on Sundays, but I plan on going back one evening and trying the dinner menu. The eggs are sooooooo good. The outdoor seating is great in the summer, with views on the mountains and great people watching. The service is friendly and nice, but the best thing is the food. Large portions of excellent food, with something for everyone. I had read the reviews and they are right: this is the best place to be for Sunday brunch in Lausanne. (But, make a reservation if you want to sit outside; it gets crowded!)

• Visited September 2013
“Overcrowded!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a few times for drinks, and eaten here twice. The bar area gets so busy, you can barely stand without feeling squashed and pushed - forget it on a Saturday night. That said, it is a bar, so as long as you're expecting it, it's ok. The restaurant area is casual
(open plan next to the bar) the food good but not amazing. Burgers are great as are the skin on fries.) You might have to shout over the music though...

• Visited April 2013
Zurich
“Interesting and modern place”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I discovered lately this place, on a sunday lunch time.
Service was very slow, but the dishes were generous. You should be really hungry to eat the whole "Canadien Salé" brunch!
Staff is friendly, and the terasse is full on a sunny day.
I would go there again on an occasion...

• Visited May 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Brunch”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Brunch is definitely a *thing* in Lausanne. I'd imagine it's because there isn't that much to do on a Sunday as most places are closed. Seriously. I've yet to even find a bakery near our new flat where I can nip out of a Sunday morning and pick up a couple of pain au chocolat to bring back to the Mrs with a flourish in order to get me out of cooking breakfast. Now there is no skiing to take up the whole day I'm unsure what we will spend most of our days doing. I'm quite happy to spend most of the day on a terrace somewhere reading the Sunday papers with a nice beer in my hand and some good food, but that depends on the weather and the Sunday Times on an iPad isn't the same...

So brunch is a good way to spend a couple of hours, and everyone tells me that the place to go is Etoile Blanche, a little walk up the hill (isn't everything?) from the station. It's not massive, but is on a good corner plot with plenty of light, and I like the old fashioned battered furniture and decor. This is something the likes of Bar Tabac and The Great Escape also have in common, a kind of effortless shabby chic. Gastropubs in the UK strive for this, but a lot of the furniture seems to be straight out of some warehouse that makes chairs and tables and then throw them on the floor, scuff them up a bit and charge an extra 20%. Seems to work here though.

Booking is pretty much essential if you want to guarantee your place and not sit perched on a stool by the bar. The menu is pretty comprehensive, covering everything from English breakfasts to pancakes, bacon & maple syrup through to eggs benedict and salmon bagels.

The Full English... I love a Full English, and there are few better hangover remedies, but I shudder to think of the times where we walk through towns and resorts in places like Spain or Greece with the menus shouting "Fish 'n' Chips! Burgers! Full English!" Invariably they are full with sunburnt Brits who haven't bothered to learn the language drinking beer at 9.30 while the place around the corner doing amazing paella or fish fresh from the harbour that morning is half empty. At Etoile Blanche its pretty much the most expensive thing on the menu, no doubt tapping into that expat market for sausage and beans. I ordered it once just for research purposes as I was intrigued as to whether they could pull it off. It's pretty good to be fair, but I did feel the weight of the package holiday experience on my shoulders as I ate it...
As the typical Swiss breakfast seems to be an Espresso and a cigarette though, this is one area where I don't think I am integrating. My favourite is the Canadian, where two large pancakes are covered with bacon and a couple of eggs, with a pot of maple syrup to drown everything in. I could eat this all day, and the portion size is certainly big enough that you probably wouldn't want much else anyway. The place is invariably full so you get a nice lively atmosphere, but the service always keeps up and you aren't ever left feeling neglected. We still haven't been in for a drink yet, but I'd imagine that on one lazy Sunday we could start with brunch, move to the bar with a few beers, finish with a hamburger a few hours later and be more than happy. You could even pretend that things were going on outside the doors!

Visited April 2013