“Fantastic experience”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We visited Laxmi yesterday with my partner. The location was lovely, as it was amidst the old Lausanne buildings at the centre of the bourg. Once inside the restaurant, we were welcomed by the beautiful aromas of curry, cardamon, chilli pepper, cumin and lot's more. The restaurant was divided into two ares. We were sat in a cosy spot facing a window. The waiters spoke excellent English, which was a great surprise for Lausanne. The menu had a wide selection of entrees and main dishes. We decided to try the Gambas géantes and the Indian cheese balls (Paneer Pakora). The Gambas (prawns) were out of this world. They were grilled to perfection. The cheese balls were indifferent, they lacked taste, but we were happy to just try them out. For our main dishes we ordered Chicken Tikka Masala and Lamb Korma with two different types of rice - a saffran-flavoured one and a garlic-flavoured one and a cheese and green pepper naan bread. We accompanied our meal with a bottle of Bordeaux rosé wine. Just a quick note here: Our mains took 1 hour to arrive at our table, but when they did arrive, the flavours over-compensated the wait and our slight irritation. The waiter also apologised and treated us to a limoncello at the end of our meal. For dessert, we tried the "GulabJamun" which includes two pieces of milk fried dumplings in rose-water syrup. They went down really well with our espressos and added some fine flavours to the overall Indian experience. Note: If you don't like spicy food, just make sure you tell them and they will cater to your taste buds. I highly recommend this restaurant. One suggestion that I would like to tell the owners is to add some nice indian music in the background. Bon Apetit!!

1  Thank _Kcreative_Projects

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Butter Chicken is to die for, definitely order it when you go! The Aloo Gobi is quite tasty as well. Seating was comfortable and the restaurant is quite popular. On the weekdays, service isn't the best, one server has to accommodate up to 30 guests, service can be slow. Location is in a happening area. Would strongly recommend this Indian restaurant for anyone who wants a change of cuisine here in Switzerland. Be wary that the prices for some meals can go up to 35 CHF.

1  Thank Markus R
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've been regularly going to Laxmi for 3 years now as i have an obsession with indian food and limited options in Lausanne. The other better option (that shall remain unnamed in a spirit of fairness to Laxmi) is always fully booked and in a less convenient area.
Yes the portions aren't the biggest, yest it is a bit pricey but 1/ it's Switzerland we are talking about, 2/ the location doesn't come cheap.
The restaurant is quite big but i've only ever seen them using the upper floor.
It's not the trendiest of them all but it hits the spot. Is it as authentic as in India? Wouldn't know, never been but i'm satisfied with it.

The staff is kind and friendly. What more to ask for?

Would i go back? Yup, keep going back since years ;)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We went in this restaurant with friends and I took a lamb Korma and my friend different Thali.
My friend get a normal portion of lentils,vegetable and/or meat in a neat dish. On my side I enjoyed my meal regarding the taste. Unfortunately it had a sour end. As you could see the bill my dish was 30 Chf but my portion was the very small and I am not a big eater.(just meat, nothing else) In fact this is not really well explain, a bit like the waiter presentation of the dish. I was asked if i would like rice of Naam, I chose Naam and he proposed different sort of Naam. The Naam I took was not mentioned as an additional side but part of the menu and it was a single name for 9 Chf which is to me a fraud.

Finally this looks like a nice restaurant but price are overly charged for some menu regarding the portion. You need to know in advance the size of each dishes or you will be disappointed.

1  Thank cedrics
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We went with 2 friends for dinner last night and had a lovely meal. We asked specifically for the food to be spicy and they did not disappoint! For a starter, main, rice, naans and 2 beers each it cost just shy of 50chf each, which by Swiss standards I did not think was over priced. Staff were helpful and friendly and had even sourced some mango chutney after we asked about it on our last visit. Would thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank David C