“Fantastic food with a personal touch.”
Review of Cafe du Grutli

Cafe du Grutli
Ranked #133 of 696 Restaurants in Lausanne
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Omaha
“Fantastic food with a personal touch.”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I spent a week in Lausanne for a conference and dined at Grutli four times with different colleagues. I tried a different dish each night and every meal was perfect. The staff were incredibly friendly and the owners treated us like old friends. The staff speaks excellent English for which I was very grateful when it came time to discuss some severe nut allergies.

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
St. Helena, California
“Fonda Fondue!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We were on a three-day visit to Lausanne and feeling the need for some authentic Swiss fare without the tourist hoopla. We enjoyed a delightful meal in this cozy restaurant with its smiling staff and scarily good cheese fondue. It was definitely a two Lipitor kind of feast as we dipped our bread chunks into the pot of delicious melted cholesterol. We were informed the recipe changes with the season and features the freshest cheeses. Ours had a combination of Emmentaler and Vacherin cheese, white wine, kirsch, garlic and probably one or two additional secret ingredients. Since that was the starter, we did our best to compensate by ordering fish for the main course. Then, because we were in Switzerland, we indulged ourselves with huge chocolate desserts. I’m mystified why the life span there isn’t somewhere around 30.

• Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“2nd fondue of the winter for us but 1st in taste!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I are huge fans of fondue, therefore we tried a lot of different restaurants in the Vaud/Geneva area. We had tried café du Grutli years ago and to be honest did not really remember how it was, maybe a bit touristy.
1st thing I liked, when I booked a table I said it would be to eat fondue and they remembered it when we arrived. Then we really appreciated the service, very friendly but professional at the same time.
We had viande séchée as a starter, it was really delicious, very very thin slices of meat, just perfect. Sometimes I prefer not to order viande séchée as a starter because I'm scared it's gonna be out of the fridge and tasteless but here it was just brilliant.
My wife doesn't like white wine so we had some red to go with fondue, I know it is a sin, but I like the fact that the waiter didn't say anything about it :-)
When the fondue came we were silent for half a minute, simply enjoying the cheese. I thought the foundue was tastier than usual, maybe a stronger or older gruyère I don't know, but it was so enjoyable!
Again great service, the restaurant was very busy but still they were taking very good care of us. The "cherry on the cake" was they had moit-moit, which is like apricot or pear schnapps to have after the fondue.
They made our day, possibly our weekend :-)
loved it!

• Visited November 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Authentic Suisse”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I truly enjoyed my dinner here with friends and family from Switzerland. The cheese fondue is as authentic as it gets and luckily we had a good selection of wine from Valais that was pouring quite well. I opted to forego the "game" on offer as the hunting season is on....maybe next time! Owner shows great care and attention to patrons. That's a plus in my books! Excellent location. Must try!

Visited October 2013
jerusalem
“A real Swiss meal”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked a table expecting a Reclet meal and we got an excelent experience , it was the first time that we had a Reclet in a restaurant , it was outstanding , including the very good service and the cheese Reclet

Visited August 2013