Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Zermatt
from $89.12
from $24.58
from $59.92
More Info
All reviews local guide walk up haute route crampons crevasses equipment peak axe glacier snow altitude mountaineering ice
Selected filters
Reviewed September 5, 2017

Went on a solo hike (with a local guide) up the Breithorn. A little hiccup but thanks to my guide it was resolved quickly. The equipment rental shop assistant did not give me snow shoes despite me requesting for it but she kept telling me not required. On the morning I met my guide only did I realized I did not have snow shoes and we had to quickly scramble to rent a pair. It was a fantastic experience hiking with snow shoes (my 1st) and up the mountain. The view was awesome and I just didn't want to leave if I could.

Date of experience: March 2017
1  Thank Selina A
Reviewed August 22, 2017

Although very accessible from the lift and a queue of ascentionistas on a good day..the view from the summit is remarkable....the ground from the lift is over a glacier and you need some degree of fitness because of the altitude.The odd patch of vomit on the way marks the passage of the under prepared.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed August 3, 2017

Climbed/Walked up to summit from Klein Matterhorn. Top section is pretty steep but non technical. You do need to be properly roped up and wear crampons. Pretty crazy but saw one guy walking on his own, despite warning signs,one slip and potentially you end up in a large crevasse. It may look benign but there are some serious crevasses. The well trodden path is easy to follow and is a very popular route. The cloud base lifted as we were walking up and had superb view of all the numerous 4000m peaks surrounding Zermatt. Well worth the effort. Walked back down across into Italy staying overnight at Mountain Refuge Testa Griggia.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank DaveG3297
Reviewed July 3, 2017

While the Matterhorn is the main attraction, the glacier covered Breithorn is very impressive too. Both stunning mountain peaks are best seen from viewing platforms on the 3,883-metre-high Little Mattherhorn.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed June 22, 2017

Not for everybody, but if you are in a decent shape, I highly recommended. It is not easy, the high altitude will make this climb difficult, but it is definitely worth it. The views are spectacular and the sense of accomplishment of such is a peak it is something to look forward to.

Make sure you have a guide, unless you know what you are doing, and that you are using the proper equipment (can be rented down in Zermatt).

Date of experience: July 2016