“Lovley!”

Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovley!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is really nice, the staff are very very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and the bathroom was spacious compared to similar prices hotels on this trip.

The view was overlooking a cemetery and the canal, we could walk around the balcony and see the Matterhorn as no one was staying in the room next to us - AMAZING

I would recommend the Restaurant downstairs, we shared the steak for 2 with veggies, for the price it was filling and delicious.. I still think about that mean now! YUM

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Matterhorn view... that would of made my day
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlemisstiny6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
ZH
Reviewed September 13, 2012

It's a simple hotel, I might question the 4*, but I cannot say I was disappointed as based on the pictures I got what I expected. The rooms were clean and big enough, beds were made in the evening, which is a plus, not all hotels do that. The reception was friendly, efficient, quick check-in. Sure they must be fancier and better hotels, but not at this price. At least we managed to book at a quiet favorable rate. We didn't have a Matterhorn facing room as I was not willing to pay the extra, if we will be looking at it during the whole day anyway while hiking. So we had the rooms facing the small cemetery, but I find it a bit ridiculous why people get upset about it. It's probably the most beautiful cemetary I have ever seen :) I was surprised that half of the graves were lit by candles in the evening and nearly all covered with flowers. To me it was rather positive to see how people care here for their loved ones. For me the only minus point was, that somehow the hotel seemed to be on the way home for a bunch of people returning from partying and they woke us up on Saturday night, and kept us awake for a while at 4 AM... We didn't eat at the hotel, so I cannot comment on the food bit.
There is a small wellness / gym in the hotel, opened by request in the summer. 7 CHF for the jacuzzi. As we were really tired after a day of hiking, this pretty much saved my day.
So I find the hotel was good for the rate I paid. If it had been higher, I might have looked for something fancier in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MataHari_OnTheRun
Brisbane
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Staying at this hotel has been a delight.

We took a cheap room looking down the valley over the cemetery. Well the cemetery is across the road, it is beautiful well maintained and even lovely at night with numerous candles. We even took a walk through it looking at the headstones.

The rooms at the back are smaller, but cheaper and but are still a huge size by comparison to most other places we have stayed in Europe. We saw into a suite facing the Matterhorn as we were walking out at night and they seem massive.

The furnishings are clean, modern and lovely.

They surprised us by coming in and doing a turn down service as well.

The floor has heating, the room is quiet, and there is a bath/shower arrangement in a large bathroom. There are even bath robes and slippers provided, not that we used them.

On a few occasions we asked reception for advice on activities/Internet access.

I think it was the owners wife and a younger night staff girl. Both were friendly efficient and helpful.

The only negative, and I list it here so it may help other technological minded people. Only my iPhone would connect to the wifi. To correct this on our iPad and my wife's iPhone, I needed to use a static ip address, I copied the settings from my phone and changed the last numbers on the ip address to give them an unique number then they both would work.

We didn't eat at the restaurant as they seemed large meals and we had a late fondue lunch at the Gornergraut. Also a bit pricey perhaps.

• Stayed August 2012
Powder Springs, GA
Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you want a perfect view from your terrace, this is it! The Hotel was very clean and the staff was very nice. Make sure you request a room facing the Matterhorn though or you will face the cemetary (which is also very pretty and really not a bad view). I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Matterhorn. I was on the first floor but I think the upper floor would ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Canberra
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in September 2011 and had a very pleasant stay.
The staff we met were lovely, with Michael in the front reception and small bar particularly friendly and helpful. We had chosen a cheaper front facing room, with views over the centre of the town and the river to the alps and although it does look over the cemetery it also looks over a park and the rest of the town. We really enjoyed sitting on our balcony looking out at this view. The Matterhorn was easily seen from the breakfast room and restaurant and bars, in fact there are opportunities for great photos of it from the little bar near the reception area. We found the room really comfortable and enjoyed the extra touches such as having the bed turned back in the evenings and our rubbish bin emptied twice a day.
Breakfast was plentiful and the lady who made the eggs and bacon for us was welcoming and friendly.
We would recommend this hotel for those who want a comfortable stay in a beautiful area.

Room Tip: The cheapr er rooms don't have views of the Matterhorn, but still have peaceful pleasant views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Max Julen, the owner of the hotel, is deviant and unethical, to say the least. We reserved this hotel through TripAdvisor, to celebrate our anniversary at a wonderful place, counting on the few previous positive reviews. When we arrived we were given a room overlooking a cemetary and had no ability to change rooms on the first night because we arrived late (all responsible managers go home at 5pm and the hotel is left in the hands of a helpless clerk). The next morning we stated our religious objections to a room facing a cemetary and were given a room facing the other way at a steep markup. Not wanting to disrupt our vacation by changing hotels, we accepted the much more expensive deal (the "cheap" room was over 300 SF per night).

While we were out that day, Max Julen, the hotel proprietor, went into our room and moved our personal belongings back to the room facing the cemetary. When we asked later that night why this was done, Max told us (over the phone, he did not even bother to come in to deal with the matter in person) that he had personally moved our things because another guest who had requested the room he had moved us to had finally made it to the hotel and he had to give them the room. So, it was quite clear that he was collecting double booked rates on the "upgraded" room and counting on the guests who were originally staying there to never show up (and quite probably never receive their refund).

If the mercenary aspect of double-booking were not enough, Max had the temerity to invade our room, paw through our belongings which were out in the room (including my wife's personal effects) and move them without our permission or so much as notice to us. We learned about this when we arrived back at the hotel that night when we were asked to surrender our keys to the "upgraded" room and given the keys back to our original room.

Finally, Max Julen still charged us the "upgraded" room rate to my credit card, without my permission.

I will never stay at this hotel again and I would not recommend to anyone to stay here, unless a washed-up ex-ski-champion going through your undergarments is your thing.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NewYorkTraveller2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed February 21, 2011

"pros":
- Location close to the ski lift/bus and decent restaurants

"cons":
- 1/2 rooms face Matterhorn, the rest face the cemetery
- Our stay was ok but nothing great. We stayed at a ski resort with great service in Chamonix before coming to Zermatt, so we expected at least good service and were a bit disappointed with Beau Rivage - general lack of 4-star service and somewhat messy room conditions. We found dirt under the bed.

We spoke with a other hotel guests. There was an American lady traveling on her own, who seemed to be happy with her stay. However, there was an American couple who told us about the incident that deeply disturbed us and other hotel guests: the hotel owner, the Olympic champion Max Julen, personally moved their belongings, including intimate apparel, from one room to another, without their consent and while they were skiing, because he found someone else willing to pay more for their old room. The owner believed he had the right to do it. The couple filed a police report, not sure what happened after as we had to leave.

There are definitely pros and cons to staying at this hotel, but at the end we felt uncomfortable and happy our stay came to an end. In the future, we will probably stay someplace else even if we have to pay a little extra or walk a little longer to the ski lift.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family