“TOP PLACE TO STAY”

Zermatt Youth Hostel
norfolk
“TOP PLACE TO STAY”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

If you are looking for a good clean and warm accomudation then this is the place to stay 5 mins from the town, although there is a nice hill and some steps on the way back, this is our second stay here and three of use had a room with 3 bunks beds in a shower,toilet and sink area and was warm with plenty of hot water..

the breakfast was a continental and adaquate, cant comment on the evening as we didnt get back in time.

we travelled from geneva airport by train very easy to do if you need any advice let me know.

sum up - great, clean and warm place to stay!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We arrived here by bus from the train station since we got scared by reading a previous hint left on this website by another customer, but we immediately rrealised it was just a less than 10 min walk from the town center.
the location is very nice, 5 minutes from the city center, staff was very friendly and helpfull on directions.
dinner was nothing excepptional but ok.
I stood with my girlfriend in a 4 bed room just fro one night and it was ok, beds were comfortable and the view from the window was stunning!

I'd reccomend this for sure!
And i guarantee you that it's just a normal pleasent walk from the town center!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phps
Winchester, UK
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Having stayed at one of the 4 star hotels in Zermatt for a couple of days courtesey of my uncle for my cousins wedding, I was a little nervous having to de-camp to the youth hostel as that was the only accommodation in Zermatt that I could personally afford!

My friend and I had one of the rooms (323) which has 2 beds in and an ensuite shower room. I fear I am a little too old and set in my ways to share one of the 8-bed rooms! The room was clean and basic, but I wasn't expecting anything less. The beds were comfortable although there is only one pillow which was a bit rubbish, but again, this is a youth hostel. We had a stunning view of the Matterhorn from our room - it was like a picture postcard. Amazing.

To be honest, my friend and I did not try and integrate into the youth hostel and its fellow guests. There was a popular table tennis area outside, two computers with internet access at 1CHF for 10 mins (I found the connection speed to be very good) inside... The dining room was pleasant, with a few tables outside if the weather was suitable. The best thing about the price is that breakfast and dinner is included and with a meal in Zermatt setting you back about 30CHF a time, this was great. Yes, its not haute cuisine, but it was certainly very welcome. Breakfast consisted of a choice of cereal, cheese, ham, salami, bread, jams, nutella etc. Dinner was good hearty food - 4 courses, with a soup course, salad, main meal, and a pudding. We had pork with new potatoes in a creamy sauce, tortellini with a yummy tomato pasta sauce, and pork escalope and chips. Obviously not together but for the 3 nights we were there.

It is a little bit of a hike to get to the hostel - very steep road and then quite a few steps. Which is fine, as you have to expect something for the price you pay. If you want convenience then you should be staying at one of the many hotels instead! You can get a taxi from the station to the youth hostel - this will prob set you back around 25CHF - 35CHF depending on the number of people. The train station is prob about a good 20 min walk, but this takes into account the going up hill bit.... Going down to the station is much quicker!

All in all a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay there again if I was unable to afford one of the hotels....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank the_duchess_77
New York
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I recently spent three nights at the Youth Hostel and probably would not choose to do so again if I were in Zermatt for skiing.

The hostel is located up a steep, steep hill so at the end of a ski day, carrying your skis and wearing boots it's quite an irritation to have to haul oneself up the hill. Then when you get to the elevator-free hostel there is another 4 flights of stairs to climb to get to your room (if you are on the top floor as I was).

The rooms are mostly clean as are the showers. The food is plentiful but not very good. The internet is available for 1CHF for 10 minutes but the connection is extremely slow so works out to much much more as you pay to wait for the sites to load. I will say though, the view out my window was a direct shot of the Matterhorn and that could not be beat!

Guests of the hostel are provided with a 10% discount for ski rental services from Roc Sport. I strongly encourage you NOT to use their skis. The gentleman who helped me border-line mocked me when I asked for wide skis (and in the end only gave me 74's) and when I returned the skis and informed him of repair services that the bindings require he told me "oh, that is normal". I told him that binding condition was by no means normal and he insisted that I just didn't know what I was talking about.... of course I flew all the way to Zermatt from the US for skiing and didn't know a good binding from a bad binding! There are many, many places to rent skis in Zermatt, stay away from hostel referral service.

• Liked — food portions
  • Disliked — The steep hike to get there
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2007

This was our first Youth Hostel experience - normally we stay in 2/3 star hotels or B&B's.

We had a double room with our own facilities for 2 nights. After being used to hotel rooms there was a bit of adjustment. The room was smaller, no TV and no chairs to sit on.

However it was clean, the staff friendly and the DB&B cost was good value. The food was plentiful and OK but do not expect restaurant quality or choice.

The walk from the town was our major concern, it is steep as the hostel is up the valley. Suggest a taxi if possible.

The view from the front was great - the Matterhorn.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — The steep walk from town centre
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2007

I stayed at this hostel for 4 nights during July. It was an excellent experience. I was in the 8 bed female dorm right up in the roof and I had a fabulous view of the Matterhorn out of the window right by my bed. The hostel was very clean with excellent shower facilities. The price includes breakfast and evening meal which suited me, as Zermatt is pretty pricey for eating out! The food was good quality, although I can see that you may get a little fed up of it if you were there for too many nights. The location is good - near the cable car station for the Schwarzee and the Klein Matterhorn - a bit of a walk from the main station but there is a bus that you can take from just outside the hostel. Internet was available and reception were very helpful.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank klm500
England
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Good, clean, well equipt hostel with amazing matterhorn views. We stayed there for about a week and really enjoyed the walking. We had our own two person room which was clean and functional. Bathrooms were clean and there were no queing problems to get in the shower!

Only drawback was that the hostel insists on guests booking evening meals as part of the nightly rate. Breakfasts were great but the evening meal wasn't so good. There was no choice (unless you stipulate up front that you are veggie, etc) and the meals weren't great. We ended up eating out a couple of times which makes the hostel a much more expensive accomodation option. (might have just been us - others seemed to be tucking in!)

On the plus side, Zermatt is a lovely little villiage/town. Quite big but old enough for character and well preserved. The walking around is fantastic - huge panoramic views and proper footpaths (not the tarmac ones you get elsewhere). We saw marmotts, kites and deer and despite it being fairly touristed, hardly saw a soul when walking up in the mountains.

3 Thank Smudgepies