“Nice Hotel”

Hotel Sonne Zermatt
Ranked #26 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed January 12, 2014

It was a good opportunity to find this Hotel in Zermatt during New Year holidays. This Hotel has good Spa, swimming pool. Hotel is located in the center of Zermatt next to the main Church, about 100 meters. It has very good rooms, very large for the the Swiss standards. The main secret of this Hotel is very friendly stuff. It was very warm family atmosphere. I was happy with this winter vacations.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sergey L
Hotel_Sonne_Zermatt, Manager at Hotel Sonne Zermatt, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Sergey L.

Many thanks to you for this wonderful feedback. It is nice to hear, that you could recharge your batteries and enjoy every moment here with us. We always try to do our best and we hope that we have been successful. We were very happy having you here, hopefully not for the last time.

We wish you all the best in 2014 and we look very much forward to seeing you again, eather in 2014 or in 2015. Sunny regards from the bottom of the Matterhorn

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Hotel Sonne is a beautiful property with the best service and hospitality I have ever received. Fabian, Alexander and their parents do not miss any details. They made our stay (my son and I) into the trip-of-a-lifetime. We were originally at another property that was, in our opinion, a disappointment. The Sonne found space for us during the busiest week of the year, and made everything incredibly easy for us. They even packed us breakfast bags for our early morning trip to the train station and drove us there. Overall, one of the best experiences I've ever had - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the property to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We spent 8 nights at Hotel Sonne over Christmas with my wife, mom, 2 year old daughter and our golden retriever. We ended up extending our stay as we simply couldn't leave as we were enjoying it so much.

I have stayed in many hotels in Zermatt and the warmth, care and quality of service at Hotel Sonne is the tops. The hotel is run by a family who are extremely personable and considerate. They know your routine and cater to your every need above and beyond expectations. They would give my dog all kinds of treats after our morning and afternoon walks direct from the kitchen. They would offer to walk our dog and play with my daughter if we needed to run errands.

The rooms and facilities are well adorned and pretty spacious. We were able to get a junior suite and a single room with a connecting door which worked perfectly for our setup.

The pool and spa area is truly excellent. The out-door hot tub looking out over a huge ice wall is a perfect way to end the ski day.

We ate dinner 3 nights in the restaurant and the food was excellent. Traditional but with progressive preparations. The breakfast buffet is great. Fairly standard swiss breakfast offerings but all high quality and the staff knew our coffee and tea choices by Day 2 and had them prepared for us right on arrival.

Public spaces are very nice. Traditional devour so not the modern flavor of the newer hotels but the rooms and spaces are beautiful, extremely well maintained and beautifully decorated for the holidays.

The guests at the hotel were extremely engaging and truly international (Swiss, German, Italian, American, French). Everyone in good mood it seems so great atmosphere throughout.

As others say, the hotel is a bit of a walk from the lifts but the shuttle van service runs every 15 minutes and we never had a problem with crowds and they even made special trips for us if our timing was off. It was very easy to get to ski. They also would drive my 75 year old mother to town if she wanted to walk.

Ski room is good and easy. Lift pass provides access in and plenty of space for equipment.

I have no negative comments to offer. Hotel Sonne is a wonderful hotel made better by the people that own and run it.

We will make a point to return to see our new friends!

The Knapp's

Room Tip: Junior suite with connecting room great for families
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KnappTravel
Hotel_Sonne_Zermatt, Manager at Hotel Sonne Zermatt, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Family Knapp

First of all we would like to thank you for your absolute fantastic feedback. We really do appreciate. It is always great to get feedbacks like that.

It is always more then a pleasure, having you here with us, and we do believe, your dog thinks the same way. ;-) As the whole family loves animals, dogs are always welcome, especially your little buddy. ;-)

We wish you now already a wonderful start into the new year, with lots of happiness and luck in 2014; and of course we look very much forward to welcoming you again, in 2014.

Send all our wishes to the whole family

All the best
the Forster-Crew

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Why would you travel 8,000 miles for a weekend at the Sonne?

Because there is nowhere else that makes you feel as comfortable and at home like the Sonne and the Forster family team.

Rooms are all very comfortable (I've slept in a lot of them!), the food is exceptional with lots of variety.

Zermatt is not a place to miss and i could not recommend more the Sonne as THE place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Nick W.

Thank you very much for your beautiful feedback. As you know, we love to have you here. You are already a part of the family Forster and without you, pre-Christmas is not pre-Christmas.
It is just too sad, that you could not stay any longer this year. We hope you could enjoy the days here in Zermatt, with us.

Please send all our wishes to the whole family. Tell them that we would love to welcome them again, reunionded at the Hotel Sonne Zermatt.

We wish you all the best for 2014. Looking forward to having you here again, veeerrry soon!

Take care Nick

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The personal touch by management and the proprietor renders the reception in splendour. I do not necessarily like the interior decoration style, rather outdated, it has consistently been done been with high quality grandeur. The very clean room provides sufficient space to feel at home while focusing on outdoor activities such as skiing. Wifi is offered at a low price, and as everything else in Zermatt "Only the sun goes up for free". The relaxation facilities are outstanding, though the pool does not lend itself to make any meaningful milage. The fitness, though small, is adequately equipped with high-end Nautilus equipment allowing for recovery training after ski training. The exterior jacuzzi is lime-lighted by the ice pinnacles that steadily grow in this time of year and allow for a visually impacting memory. A small ski storage room is adequate, but no room to prepare skis is available. The restaurant serves excellent food, though local traditional by nature, and offers appealing choice of wine. The personnel is knowledgable, multi linguistic and very friendly. This has been my 5th stay over as meany ski seasons, and I shall return. As Ieft this temporary home with a usual mixed sense of happiness and sadness, I was dropped at the train station by the hotel's transport service.

Room Tip: Just enjoy Zermatt!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Shogu

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we really do appreciate. It was a real pleasure, having you among us during this period. We always try to do our best, as a team and we hope, that it worked this time as well.

We wish you for 2014 all the best, have a great start into the new Year, which surely awaits with lots of surprises.

All the best and looking forward to your returning.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Sonne several times, usually leading a group of British skiers on holiday, and it feels like home from home. Kathy and Leo make everyone feel so welcome, and they have developed the hotel over the years extending the spa and facilities continually.
Many of the staff have been there many years, and remember the guests who return annually.
Although the hotel is slightly out of town, the hotel has its own electric taxi to bring guests to the lift station each morning, and also the hotel is away from the noisy youngsters in the village centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian D
Hotel_Sonne_Zermatt, Manager at Hotel Sonne Zermatt, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Ian D,

Thank you very much for your nice words. We are very honoured when our guests come back year after year enjoying our hotel and ski area. As you wrote in in your comment, our taxi shuttle service brings our guests to the ski lifts every morning, something that our guests do appreciate.

We wish you a good time before hopefully next winter.

Sunny regards from Zermatt!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

It is not a difficult decision to come back to Zermatt for a second time within a year. I cannot imagine myself anywhere else except Zermatt, as I'm very particular, and there were several options to stay however I decided to come back at the Hotel of Sonne Zermatt in the end, and I chose Matterhorn base on value and location.

My girlfriend and I are staying at 2 single rooms at the third floors, I can hear the sound of the waterfall all night, it was so quiet and I feel relieve of all the stress we have been taken during this years from work. I normally hardly can sleep more than 6 hours but when I am here I can sleep at least 8 hours. I feel relax for sure.

The receptionist is very nice and explain the location how and where to get around really well. I think this hotel is managed by the family or a family business. I think it is a competitive price in term of the location and place (very clean).

The morning breakfast is quite nice. A great selection of breads, meats, cheeses. As well as eggs, fruit, juices, and bottomless coffees (including lattes, cappuccinos, and espresso).

The hotel’s location is closed to the church and it is hard if you have a lot of stuff because you will have to walk uphill toward the hotel. I recommend a light packing will be great to stay at sonne.

The attention to customer experience is paramount here. The staff is excellent! If you are considering Zermatt, you'd have a tough time finding a better place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Vinnie T,

First of all thank you so much for taking time to write your experience about your stay in Zermatt. We are extremely honoured when our guest come back to spend some time with us.

Regarding the distance from the train station, it takes about 10 minutes to walk. We do offer a shuttle service in case you have heavy luggage with you. Please call us next time when you are in the Zermatt train station, there is a telefon corner where you can call all the hotels in town free of charge.

We are looking forward to host you again soon. Thanks again for your visit and your nice comments.

Sunny regards from Switzerland!