“beautiful hotel, lovely location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alpina Hotel

and 1 more site!
Alpina Hotel
Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
Pennsylvania
“beautiful hotel, lovely location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Beautiful small hotel tucked away in a cute, quiet little corner, off of the main street. Although Zermatt is a car-free village, it still sees it's fair share of taxis and service vehicles, so you are far from any street noise. It is an easy walk from the train station, and I was carrying two backpacks.

My lovely single room was on the third floor with a balcony, with stunning views of the Matterhorn above the roof tops. I opted for the shared bathroom which was just down a short flight of stairs and around the corner. I was aware of others on my floor, but never encountered anyone or ever had to wait for the wash closet. My single room had a sink with plenty of towels, the bed was comfortable and the thick down comforter kept me warm and toasty.

There are elevators to use, for those who dislike stairs. The lights in the corridors work on timers, just hit the button and they will go off automatically. You are given a code to let yourself in the front door for all the late-night party animals, there is also free wifi which works great, even when you are lying in bed. There is a cute little garden outside for sitting and relaxing, someone is always available to give excellent advice and the breakfast buffet was quite good and satisfying.

I had purchased a ticket for the Gornergrat Sunrise Summit on the internet, before I had arrived and was concerned about waking up in time. The lady at the front desk gave me a little alarm clock which woke me up at 5 AM, the appropriate time for me to rise and catch the Gornergrat Bahn.

My only regret is that I did not allow myself more time here. I arrived late on a Wednesday evening and left Friday morning. So much to do in Zermatt; the Gornergrat Bahn is very nice, if you are up for it, you can take the train up and hike back down to Zermatt. I did it my first day in Switzerland without any problems, other than a lot of stiff muscles and sore toes. I also hiked over to Z'mutt, which is a very pretty little 400 year-old village. An easy hike about an hour each way.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony facing the Matterhorn on an upper floor. There are elevators for those wh...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank stormbird

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was our second stay at the Hotel Alpina. Both Natalie and Manuella, the property managers for the Aftenblattens (who own the hotel), were extremely kind and friendly to our family. One afternoon hike, we were caught in a downpour and Manuella helped us dry our things when we got back to the hotel and Natalie helped us with our laundry. You could not have asked for more kind service.

The breakfasts were tasty and a great way to start each day. The hotel is conveniently located, just a short walk off the main street of Zermatt - perfect for getting back and forth during our stay.

Our room was comfortable and quiet and the other guests were very pleasant company.

Hotel Alpina receives my highest recommendation!

Lon

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lon B
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is split into several buildings. We are on the first floor with a view of the Matterhorn from our balcony.

The room is very comfortable with separate bath and sitting rooms. Dinner and breakfast were both good quality and plenty of it.

There is a large building being built next door. This may block the view of the Matterhorn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a view of the Matterhorn from the balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Bang in the middle of Zermatt, most welcome after a long walk to reach it up the valley. Very friendly welcome and no fuss about heavy boots, rucksack or the trail weary Englishman.

I would certainly return (and hope to). Great value.

Nice balconies on one side of the building with views of the village church and the unrivalled Matterhorn.

Also a super breakfast (unexpected after some in Suisse) - great selection and further happy service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tom M
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

This place is well-located and easy to find from the station and to walk to other places in Zermatt. The owners were very friendly and offered helpful advice on what to do in Zermatt. I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom. The room was simply furnished but clean and the cable TV had many channels. Like many places, the noiseproofing wasn't the best - lots of creaky stairs and thin walls. My room was on the top floor and from the window I could see the Matterhorn poking above the buildings - can't complain about that! The toilet and shower/bath was halfway down a flight of stairs - it was clean but it was one of those showerheads that you have to hold while you shower. I'm not sure how many rooms I was sharing the bathroom with but I never had to wait. Breakfast was included and there was a decent variety of cereals, bread, meats and cheeses. I was pretty happy with Alpina Hotel for the price and location.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south have a Matterhorn view and catch the sun in winter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hotel Alpina, well, what a fantastic hotel! I have nothing bad to say about the place. The hosts were wonderful (even with a rather sick 4 year old!) the breakfast was lovely, the rooms were very clean and the bed very comfortable. We had great views from the room of the mountains all around. It's in a wonderful location only having to walk about 5 minutes (if that) to the town for dinner or shopping.

Our family was split into two rooms and both had great views and a balcony, tv (with English channels, BBC 1,2 itv, channel 4, film 4, cbeebies, CBBC etc) and hair dryers.

I read another review saying that they had to wait for the lift and they had to still take the cases up some stairs. I stayed when it was very busy and I never had to wait for the lift. You did have to take the cases up some stairs but it was literally four small steps.

There was a boot room and ski room which was great. Had such a lovely time when staying there. The hosts I really can't thank enough they were friendly, helpful and very welcoming. Considering this is one of the cheaper hotels in Zermatt it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vic_toria391
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Very cute, clean (well up to swiss standards!), cozy little hotel. Great central location so you can walk everywhere easily, nice breakfast, friendly host. Our room was great! Given the price I was not expecting very much but was really pleasantly surprised. Saved so much money staying here. Would definitely go back or recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple