“Would give this hotel more than a 5 score if I could..”

Le Petit CHARME-INN
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Would give this hotel more than a 5 score if I could..”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Really great hotel, with excellent staff, all round good value for money. About a 10 minute easy walk from the train station. Come out of the station and turn right and walk up the main street through the town - go past a bank and museum on the left and you will come to the Metzggrasse ahead on the right. Go up the road, veering to the left and the hotel is in front of you on the right (number 28).

My friend and I had two single rooms. Both rooms were clean, comfortable rooms with a comfy bed, decent wardrobe space and a desk area with tv. The excellent shower room was modern and clean with a great shower, and a hairdryer. Rooms were warm - important when its -14 outside!

The staff at Reception were excellent, so friendly and helpful and with great English. When I found I had forgotten my power adapter, I got one from Reception immediately. We needed directions to places we had booked and again the staff provided maps and directions immediately. (We went to Chez Vrony for lunch and the Igludorf Zermatt for dinner - check out my separate reviews). We found the rooms quite noisy due to the town clock chiming and people on the street outside - not the hotels fault obviously - take ear plugs if this might be an issue for you.

Breakfast was included in the price - it was fine if not fancy. Everything you needed was there, eg tea, coffee, juice, cereals, breads, yogurts, cold meats, boiled eggs etc. The dining room was nice and cosy.

If I was being picky - and I mean picky - I would mention that a shelf in the shower would have been helpful, as you have to put shower gels, shampoos etc on the floor which is a bit annoying.

All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Be aware it can be noisy what with the town clock chiming, and large numbers of people out in the st...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jakesmum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bristol, UK
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in January 2013 and found it to be very good. As the name suggests it is small but very comfortable. Rooms were very warm but windows could be opened. Good view of the Matterhorn from the roof terrace.
Room cleaned early to a good standard but perhaps worth asking for extra pillows if you want more head support at night.
Breakfast was typical continental with a good choice and lovely coffee.
Very helpful reception team sharing local knowledge.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
london
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A nice warm room (some hotels in the alps neglect this bit!), with a good bed, new bathroom. Everything clean and comfortable. The breakfast was standard Swiss fodder of cheese, ham, breads, eggs, fruit, etc. The staff were friendly and would go out of their way to help. Location is ok. Its around 7 mins walk from the station, but there is a bit of a hill involved, so if you have a lot of luggage, or are not very balanced on your feet you may want to take a small electric taxi from outside the station.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Yes this is a small - petit hotel but it packs a huge punch in the friendliness stakes. The staff could not be more helpful. The rooms are lovely and have nice new bathrooms with heated towel rails and comfortable beds. They have a really yummy breakfast and at the end of the day somewhere to store your skies and boots. The rooftop has a great view of the Matterhorn and it is really close to town. And everywhere in fact. I lost my camera whilst here and the staff chased it up for me and forwarded iron for me.-they really are just the best. Thanks agin

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Viv H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Zermatt for one night as part of our honeymoon trip. Since it's my first time in the country, I was still excited over the winter season to look over the little gripes that some travelers would have about the hotel.

1. The hotel is quite a walk from the train station. I had a heavy army backpack and a roller suitcase that I pulled through the snow. The slope off the main street up to the hotel is quite a challenge, I was practically sweating in my winter coat! But if it's your first time in Zermatt, it's a nice orientation around the area to dispel those "how far can we walk in this town?" feelings. But if you are traveling with the elderly, please take a taxi. The hills are a little steep and icy in the winter.

NOTE: If you're checking out but still want to explore the town after, the hotel staff will suggest to keep your luggage with them until you're ready to leave Zermatt. But maybe you wouldn't want to go back up that slope so if you have some money to spare (CHF5 a bag to be exact), you can leave your bags at the train station. They have a dedicated luggage drop area.

2. Yes, the hotel is tiny! I didn't think about it beforehand but when I reached the hotel I said to myself "How am I gonna lug our luggage up the stairs in this dinky place?" Fear not, because there is a lift. A le petite lift. But it works so that's all that matters!

3. I liked the room that we were assigned to, it's all a matter of perspective really: I like small rooms because it prevents me from leaving a big mess. A lot of channels on the tv to surf through, toilet is renovated so it looks amazing (I wouldn't mind an old sleeping area but toilet I would like modern facilities please!). Our room overlooked the school so you can catch the youths outside during recess and observe the social cliques to be reminded of your own teenage years.

4. Breakfast was nice, pretty basic but a good spread: bread (toasted or not), coffee/tea/orange juice/grapefruit juice/water, jams, butter, eggs, fruits, yogurt, cold cuts and cereal. Everything was stocked to cater to the visitors staying in the hotel, enough to keep you alive till lunch time. They cannot provide you with an electric kettle in the room (we try to budget by eating instant noodles) but they are more than welcome to boil water for you down at the eating area if you need it.

All in all we had a good experience here, even though it was just for one night. A very nice place to see almost everything in Zermatt just by walking to the hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heyzahir
Dorset, England
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the 3rd December 2012 for 3 nights. We had a double room on the 2nd floor and we were pre warned that the hotel was small but I was surprised as our room was a reasonable size and very clean. The bathroom was new, very clean and functional.
The breakfast was basic but there was something for everybody and you won't go hungry!
The staff were friendly and really helpful telling us which ski lifts and runs were open each morning. It was nice that they took time to chat to you and tell you good places for evening meals.
I would advise you need a taxi from the train station with your bags as its uphill and not easy in the snow!
Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mholley222000
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed three nights in this small hotel (hence its name) a short walk from the main train station in Zermatt. I found it slightly tricky to get to as this hotel is two turns off the main street. I also arrived late and it was dark and snowing heavily. There is a hotel directory and map at the train station where the trains come to a halt which I found extremely helpful. Check in was prompt and the receptionist was very friendly. Our room did not have direct views of the Matterhorn but gave us a good view of the village as the hotel is situated on a slope. It was not a large room by any standards but was very modern, comfortable, warm and most importantly, clean! The bathroom had also clearly been recently refurbished to high specifications. Breakfast was a decent spread of the usual fruits, muesli, cereal, bread and cheese which were enough to keep us full till lunchtime. The cable car to the Matterhorn is a comfortable 10-15 minute stroll away, and there are many restaurants and shops on the main street. Don't forget to top deck of this hotel for an amazing view of the Matterhorn and Zermatt village! Overall a comfrotable, fuss-free stay which was well worth the price paid, especially considering the exorbitant prices of hotel accommodation in Zermatt. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple