“If you are 20 yrs old then stay here, if not, go elsewhere.”
Review of Unique Hotel Post

Unique Hotel Post
Ranked #35 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Spent two nights here recently, the staff was very friendly. They were having a computer issue when we arrived and had to wait 90 minutes to check in. We spent the time having a drink/snack in the bar. The food was good and prices were comparable to the rest of Switzerland.

Our room was located on the second floor (other reviewers are correct, don't stay on this floor). There was noise all night! Not from the band/music but from the people above, and next to us. It sounded like they were constantly rolling suitcases across the floor. It did not matter how early or late it was, the noise went on constantly, even at 5AM! We were in room 208.

The hotel is a hike from the ski entrances, and after we spent the day skiing we made the very wise decision to taxi it to the Grand Zermattherhof (cars aren't allowed on Main Street).

We would not stay here again due to the noise, cramped room conditions, and distance from the ski entrances.

If you are older than 30, consider staying somewhere else, if you are from the States you will be disappointed by the room sizes.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Ashfritz
There are newer reviews for Unique Hotel Post

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last October for a few nights after another hotel in the same town, and i must say, it was pretty near perfect! The staff were so friendly and attentive, we often saw the manager wandering around talking to guest and laughing etc. The rooms were modern with a hint of 'chalet chic' and were spotless. My room had one private balcony over looking the main high street (which i suppose was a little awkward when diners over the road could see into your bedroom) and one shared balcony with a view of the Matterhorn and a table/chairs set for in the summer. The reception are is nice and cozy with a fire place, wood and stone walls and a leather sofa. There are plenty of bars and clubs in and around the hotel (My fave being The Brown Cow next to reception) however some of these are closed during certain months. The hotel is right in the centre of town, no further than a 10 min walk from the train station, two ski lifts, bars, clubs, restaurants and shops. All of this in a friendly, small and quite (except for aprés) town - perfect.

Room Tip: Some rooms over-looking the high street have a view of the Matterhorn but during peak season you hav...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I selected this hotel based on the information provided on their website and in Tripadvisor. I thought it would be nice to stay in a modern renovated "Boutique" hotel located in an old historic building in the center of town. Unfortunately what you get is more style than comfort. Overall my impression is that they are trying to cater more to the visitors in town rather than their own guests. There are many restaurants/pubs/clubs located on the street and lower levels with a lot of people coming and going. That made the reception area crowed, busy and noisy with all sorts of people. There also is not a quiet, comfortable public area to sit and talk after skiing or dinner, you have to go to one of the loud, crowded bars/clubs.

My room was very nice, clean and modern. I did like it very much. Except for that fact that the bed was on wheels making it seem like a temporary type setup. I also requested a room away from the potential noise (after reading about that as a common complaint on Tripadvisor) and I was given a room on the 3rd floor (4th to us Americans) with a nice view of the Matterhorn. However, the thumping drone coming from the 4 bars/clubs located below was still audible until early in the morning. Also, the ski room is small and cramped and in the morning you have to walk through the empty Disco to get there which can reek of spilled beer.

I purchased a "Package" that came with the room, ski pass and 3 massages. However, I was told when I arrived that their masseuse was injured (it can happen) and that they would have to arrange something else. The next day I was told that they found an alternate and the massages would have to be in the evening on the dates and times they set, not changes, no exceptions and no talk of any refunds. Two of mine were scheduled for my last evening there which I just could not do. They said I could reschedule for Saturday morning but I was leaving at 10:00 AM, again no mention of any reimbursement. I am mentioning because it just sort of summarizes my overall feeling about the place. Nice to look at, but lacking a lot of personal comfort.

Maybe I am spoiled by all my previous skiing trips to Austria where they are known for Gemütlichkeit, which I did not feel here.

So overall, a nice, clean, modern, trendy hotel that was not really very enjoyable for me. As I look back at their website and read the reviews, I guess it is what I should have expected, but not what I wanted. You may want something like this but it was not for me.

Room Tip: I can't imagine what the noise would be on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tomserv
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a very great hotel... I like the fire behind the sofa near reception and in the restaurant.
The room is very cozy. with wood and stone combination. The bed is comfortable. The bath room divide into some sections and very cool. Although It was cold, but I feel warm inside the bed.
The staff are nice, they ask whether I prefer French or German, although this is German speaking part of Switzerland.
The food in the restaurant is nice. I ate venison (deer meat), one of the best dish I ever ate.
The spa is great, I got a 30 minutes massage and enjoy some steam. The juice also nice.
One trouble is one the 2nd morning I need to take a shower and wash my hair. I tried to call the receptionist since I got trouble with the shower tap but no one answer at 6 am, I called again and the person said I need to wait until the first shift at 7 am because he can't help how. So at 7am I go down to reception and the receptionist help me. Luckily I still manage to catch my 8 am promise.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We've stayed one week with friends and family in this cosy hotel. We've had the double room "Loft" which is done very tasteful, although the rooms are kept simple, the lightening was not sufficient.
Staff is extremely nice - would go back again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2012

A short walk from the train station, manageable even with a heavily laden bag of ski gear in tow, the hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Zermatt. Upon arriving the exceptionally friendly and helpful multi-lingual staff escorted me to my room while expounding all that Zermatt has to offer. The floor to ceiling wood paneling of the room gave the sense of being warmly nestled within a cozy cabin - a cabin with a large flat screen TV, CD/speaker system with ipod connection, ample sized wardrobe, small desk, and free wi-fi. The room’s modern finishing spillover into the clean and stylish bathroom which offers a heated floor and shower, no bath. Tucked behind the room darkening double curtains are the full length windows and door opening onto the spacious porch – one can imagine enjoying their morning coffee on a summer’s day here, however in December the extent of my time spent here was the 17 seconds it took for me to capture a photo of the view. Unfortunately without the Matterhorn in the background, but nonetheless the surrounding mountain scenery primes you well for the view on the other side of the hotel. Start your morning’s right with the complimentary breakfast that has plenty of options, whether seeking something light or a more hearty feed. There are many ski rental outfits in town, but 'Stoked' is located only steps opposite the entrance to the hotel. Any rented gear can be stored in the hotel's equipment room located in the lower level. The lifts are all walkable in ski boots, but Gornergrat (5 mins) and Sunnegga (10 mins) much more so than the gondola to Furi (15 mins). Sunnegga and Furi offer small storage lockers, Gornergrat however might find you stashing your trainers in the snow. After a day on the slopes the hotel spa offers a great way to relax - the hot tub is large and vigorous, but don't plan on having a chat if the jets are running. The night can easily be topped off in one of the hotel’s 5 happening bars/clubs – I only made it to the Brown Cow pub which provided a fun and laid back après vibe. Without a doubt I’d come back; I’ve got 4 more bars to try!

Room Tip: The clubs were not in full swing when I was there, but I imagine the higher room the better to avoid...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I almost don't want to tell everyone how amazing this hotel is so they don't raise the rates, but here goes. Very nice hotel, clean, great location, breakfast and Internet included in room rate, two good restaurants in the hotel and a couple of bars.

The room was beautiful - two balconies with great views, shower/bath tub, beautiful wood walls and stone floor, comfy beds with big down comforters, very quiet. There's a Tex Mex restaurant and an Italian restaurant in the hotel and they're both good. Every time I go to Zermatt, this is where I'll be staying.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple