“Al Bosco restaurant”

Riffelalp Resort 2222 m
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I visited the Al Bosco Restaurant which is part of the 5* Riffelalp resort twice for lunch this week. The summary is five star setting and prices, three star food, and two star service. The restaurant is poor value for money charging five star prices for very mediocre cusine. The service is not entirely the fault of the service personnel who worked hard during both my visits. There were three staff serving an average of 15 occupied tables which had an average of four guests at each. There were simply too few staff serving to manage the demands of the guests. My advice is to walk 300 metres on to Freddies which is friendly and good value with even better views.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Edward00

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our room at the Riffelalp featured a view of the Matterhorn...you just don't get better than that! The room itself was fine with a nice sized washroom. The king sized bed is two twins pushed together with separate linens, not my preference but very European.

The Riffelalp sits by itself on the side of the mountain above Zermatt. One feels very pleasantly isolated and away from the world. There is a large patio/bar, beautiful views and comfortable seating.

A small tram transports one from the train station to the resort itself. While it is an easy walk, the tram is so much fun that you should take it at least once if you are staying at the resort. (There is a charge for non-guests which is probably not worth it.)

While there I had a massage. The spa is wonderful, make sure you take a trip downstairs to the Chritti Grotto. I've never seen anything like it before and I love spas! My massage was exceptionally good, not cheap, but fairly priced.

The breakfast buffet is lovely and they go out of their way. One morning I asked what the meats were and if one of them was dried lamb. (I had tried the lamb the night before and really enjoyed it.) Within a few minutes they brought me a huge plate of dried lamb, far more than one person could eat.

We were there only two days, I could happily have stayed longer. There are some nice hikes, both for the adventurous and for those of us who are more sedentary. ...and the Matterhorn of course, I could just keep looking out of the window.

One note, we had a beautiful deck just outside our room, but it was shared with others, so while you may not see anyone, it was important to be aware that someone can wander by easily.

Room Tip: Face the Matterhorn.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The setting is unsurpassed (Matterhorn in view from many rooms and the pool); rooms are large with gorgeous modern bathrooms, traditional (so so) Swiss furnishings. Incredible indoor & outdoor pools with jets that feel incredible if you've hiked up from Zermatt. Far from the insane crowds of that town, this is the perfect escape.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the Matterhorn
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Excellent service, very friendly, delicious food and excellent accomodation for this very special "top of the world" hotel for all people who like to relax in a totally quite place, a bit "out of the world". Excellent wellness area too, both for summer (outside) and winter (inside).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

A stunning getaway from the tourists-conquered Zermatt city centre, this resort provides true serenity.
I will pass the well-known qualities it pocesses, instead focus on what really impressed me during my stay- service with a touch of humanity.
Quite a frequent user of 5 stars hotels, I always find the chain-managed premises elegant but cold.
On my first day of hiking trip, I found myself missing of a backpack. The concierge, after knowing that, offered to lend me his own backpack, without any hesitation.
The breakfast, as previously mentioned by other users, is wholesome with substance. The cook in the egg station easily prepared us the best egg white omelette. I thought I was full after eating it, but he came to my table, and confidently introduced me his made-to-order crêpe. I didn't regret over-feeding myself with his delicate crêpe; what a clear difference from the everywhere-American style pancakes prepared by most hotels these days.
I will be back to this resort soon. I knew that from the first day of my stay. And probably the staff could tell that from my discreet smile.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 24, 2012

After a lifetime of skiing, I know that I've found a perfect partnership - Zermatt and the Riffelalp Resort. I've enjoyed 4 winter holidays in Zermatt but the pristine location of the hotel at 2222m, dominated by the Matterhorn, providing ski-in/ski-out ' red ' runs ,easily makes it the best hotel. It richly deserves the ' 5 star superior ' status by virtue of its high quality accommodation, restaurants, ' wellness ' facilities and service. The staff exude a warm, relaxed charm and provide service with a smile . Memorable moments :- 1. a generous upgrade to a chalet room, making arrival on our wedding anniversary especially enjoyable; 2. relaxing tired muscles in the warm outdoor pool/jacuzzi whilst admiring the Matterhorn; 3. wine tasting before dinner on 3 evenings; 4. a fabulous dinner in the " Walliserkeller " ; 5. a gourmet meal in the " Alexandre " ; 6. ' gifts ' in our room, like champagne , chocolates . But, sadly, there was one big disappointment - we had to leave !! It is a pricey hotel but well worth every Swiss franc.

Room Tip: Request view of the Matterhorn.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Riffelalp Resort is a classic ski-in/ski-out hotel/resort. It is of the highest standard across the board. Excellent staff (truly friendly people all through the hotel), superb rooms (some small but all beautifully decorated and immaculately maintained). 3 excellent restaurants, the favourite being the Walliser Keller, but they're all good. There is a ski shop on site, and a lovely spa area where you can get various massage treatments, and where they have a calm indoor pool and a brilliant outdoor pool. Truly relaxing, and heavenly location.

Did I mention the stunning view of the Matterhorn from nearly all the rooms?

Room Tip: There are some rooms without views. Be sure to request a Matterhorn view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family