“A 3 star that could be a 4 star!”

Best Western Hotel Butterfly
Ranked #21 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We chose this hotel on the basis of other Trip Advisor reviews and it exceeded our expectations. It's 2 minutes from the main station and the Gornegrat mountain train. It's friendly and has the feel of a small hotel, there's good service, the rooms are very comfortable and clean and the food was plentiful and very tasty. I would thoroughly recommend it and I would certainly return there again, as it seemed many other guests already do!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Parsleyandsage

Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is definitely much more than a 3 star hotel given that ever other hotel in Zermatt is rated as 4 star. We visited Zermatt in May when many of the hotels close down after the skiing season. After a lot of research and positive reviews on Trip Advisor, I zeroed in on Hotel Butterfly. It turned out to be a great choice though the pictures were not so inspiring. Location is great - its just next to the train station and still secluded. Good view of mountains (not Matterhorn) though it would be nicer views from hotels outside the city center. What made our stay special was the staff and the service quality. It was a lousy weather during our stay and we spent a lot of time in the property. I would highly recommend Hotel Butterfly if you are looking at staying in a good hotel in city center. Zermatt hotels are exorbitantly priced and this one is a steal

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GT001
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Frequent business traveler and had a free weekend in between two weeks of business travel in Europe where I hoped to get in two days of spring skiing. I chose the Hotel Butterfly because it looked like it had a good proximity to the train station, seemed reasonable compared to other very expensive alternatives and looked nice enough from the images. I was not disappointed! A couple hundred yards/meters from the train station to the hotel so you can just walk with your bags. The hotel itself is close to the main street where you can walk to many great restaurants and bars. The receptionist was very helpful (they speak fluent English) and even provided a 10% coupon for the ski rental and explained where I should go (also just about 100-200 yards/meters from the hotel where you can just stop on your way to the slopes). From the ski rental, you walk to the shuttle bus (free) which takes you to the main gondola to the slopes. There is even a "ski room" in the hotel that includes built in boot warmers for all the ski boots and overnight storage for all your equipment. Room (and bathroom) where very clean and perfectly nice (ski chalet style). Was a little concerned about that based on some of the reviews so was pleasantly surprised that it was actually quite nice. What really helped on my last day before I needed to catch the train in the evening to continue my business trip....I was still able to get in a day of skiing with no issues because the hotel provides a room for you to store your bags during your last day for that purpose but also allows you to use the spa to clean up and change before you head out on your way. Would definitely stay here again if my travels can get me back to Zermatt.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Jamie P
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have been to the Butterfly twice this year in late January with 'Luke J' s group and I fully endorse his review. I also went in early March with 3 friends we are long standing customers, this was our 14th year. I do not understand some of the negative reviews or where they come from. The Butterfly is a small very comfortable hotel, the rooms are well furnished and kept spotlessly clean. The staff are extremely helpful and strike the right balance between friendliness and service. The ski day to Italy is good fun, and the lunch they provide on the Italian restaurant sun terrace is a gourmet treat. Frank and Simone are a young couple who manage the Butterfly with charm and efficiency. I hope to return their hotel many more times in the future.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank John S
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The location of the hotel is very good.2-3 minutes to main street by walk.The rooms are a bit small and the bathroom is very basic.
The reception is welcoming but not helpfull.
The heaters of the hotel is not working in weektime, it starts working on firday means, guests are being freezed in friday and around saturday afternoon rooms are comming to normal warm degree.In the mean time the hotel is providing you electrical heaters which is a bit strange for me for a hotel in Siwtzerland Zermat when the hotel is so expensive like this.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ulaserdem
Frank S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Butterfly, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Mr. Ulaserdem,
As we talked about during your stay, it was not possible to upgrate you in a higher floor. We would have done this with pleasure - but the Hotel Butterfly was fully fully booked - also during weektime. It is high season period in Zermatt and winter!
Anyway... as we explained you during your visit, we mesured your room temerature and it was 25°C in your room. Yes you are right, the heating system has a maximum room temerature. It is mesured and operated by the Danfoss-Thermostat. But if the maximum is reached we can just go onto a higher temerature by an extra heater. This was the reason why we brought you this electrical heater. Normally we don't have any heating system complains (you can staight check the reviews). I am sure for more than 90% of my guests is an higher temperature definatly not comfortable - it is too hot!
By the way... nobody is freezed by 25°C. Not on friday - not on weekday!
BEST regards from Zermatt

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel during our Zermatt trip. Comfortable bed, decent room size, clean toilet, nice breakfast & helpful staff. It is located near the main train station, yet it remains quiet throughout the night. Breakfast is considered very good for the price paid. Will stay at this hotel if we are coming back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ngkhk
Frank S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Butterfly, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear ngkhk,

Thank you for your nice review. I am always happy to hear that my guests are happy and satisfied. All reviews are very helpfull but especially reviews like yours :-)
Sunny greetings from the Matterhorn
Direktor

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I should qualify this review by stating that we were looking for functional and affordable accommodation in Zermatt close to the town centre and ski bus to the lift stations. To this end the Hotel Butterfly served its purpose, the hotel is extremely well located, the rooms have good views of the beautiful surrounds and are functional enough. Average may be a little harsh and if there was a 'Good' rating I think that would better describe our experience. The staff are helpful and friendly and the ski room is big and well fitted out (boot warmers!) ensuring it's never too crowded early in the morning when everyone is getting ready to hit the slopes. Breakfast is typical Swiss / German fare which gets monotonous after a few days but you can always head to the bakery around the corner for a bit of variety if you tire of it as we did. Probably the only major let down with this hotel is the internet access. I know the manager has tried to put it down to lots of people accessing the network simultaneously but honestly that is a pretty poor excuse. You can always get more bandwidth it's simply a matter of money. The wifi was intermittent at best, constantly disconnecting, which was utterly frustrating. If, like us, you need to keep an eye on your emails and do a small amount of work while your on holidays I would recommend you look elsewhere. What should have taken us half an hour a day was taking close to 2 hours due to the erratic access which basically ate into our vacation time. I have stayed in much larger hotels and never had any issues with bandwidth or connection, there is basically no excuse in this day and age. All in all a good experience let down by poor IT infrastructure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Frank S, Manager at Best Western Hotel Butterfly, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Simon,
Thank you for the review. Just one question: What did you found in the bakery - we don't have on our breakfast buffet ? :-) We have more than 50 different items on our buffet: different fruits / vegetables, several kind of cold cut, different cheese, cereals, boiled eggs, scrabled egss, grilled bacon, baked beans, different kinds of juice, Birchermüsli (swiss special breakfast item), rolls and many more.
Anyway... I agree with the ......."but" - we talked about the problems with the WiFi connection: we sorted the problems out and fixed it. It was a problem with a broken hardware item.
Thank you and just let me explain for all our future guests that the Internet access is FREE OF CHARGE and unlimited. So I don't want to make money out of that ;-)
Greetings from the snowing Zermatt