“Awesome skiing, boutique style”

Backstage Hotel Vernissage
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
“Awesome skiing, boutique style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Spent 5 days in Zermatt skiing for new years. Hotel was a last minute find for a busy week, so I probably paid more than you normally would. Had no idea what o expect but ended up loving the place. It's different, so it may take a day or two o get used to it. Upon arrival, before I could even check in, they offered me a free drink of my choice nd told me to sit and relax! That's a first and a very nice touch. The lobby/ dining room is amazing...floor to ceiling glass with a view of the mountains and hockey rink across the way. The chandelier was supposedly designed by the owner and it's incredible to stare at in the foreground. I stayed in one of the Rooms (as opposed to the cubes). Balcony is super comfortable with a great view...but I was on the side of hotel, which is less than perfect for the view. Shower was nice and hot with good pressure, separate toolbox for toilet and yet a further separate space in the bedroom for the sink (I found this a bit annoying, but got used to it). Gas fireplace a nice touch on the eyes and makes it feel more like a ski hotel than a trendy boutique. Good closet space, but a lack of shelves to put clothes and no drawers. Though nice touch, you can put all your luggage under the bed. The ski room is awesome...tons of space for all your gear and a secret exit to the street that saves you time and distance getting to the main street. Must take advantage of the spa...cool concept of a bunch of diff rooms tied o creation of the earth...outdoor hut tub, sauna, steam room, plunge pool, etc. very cool experience. The vernissage club downstairs is also awesome. Bar, movie theater and concert venue. Key tip....ESP on a night with a big event on...lbo need to pay for tix or wait on line...you get in free and easy as a hotel guest. Got to see an awesome concert as part of the zermatt unplugged series. Very cool bar scene as well. Breakfast was good....amazing service and waitstaff .... Eggs cooked to order, any kind of coffee, hot chocolate and decent continental breakfast fare with meats and cheese as well. Location is absolutely great...two seconds from the main drag....5 mins walk to the lift, or 3 mins to the ski bus to go to the other lifts. Staff in general were great. One of the most unique places I've ever stayed....not for ski traditionalists, but great for anyone with a sense of adventure or looking for something cool and new

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street to get an even better view, though may potentially be noisier
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Magellan12
backstage2009, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Backstage Hotel Vernissage, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely words and for such an informative feedback! It is very much appreciated. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Sunny greetings from the mountains, the Backstage Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 4 days in Zermatt and our stay was perfect. The weather was great the town is amazing and the Backstage is incredible! A one of a kind hotel experience! My cousin and his wife joined my wife and I on our Swiss adventure in Zermatt. We really didn't know what to expect and were blown away by what a great experience we had. Everyone at the Backstage were great, I recommend this hotel without reservation, it was fantastic!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

On a 9-day trip to Europe this was my favorite of all hotels! It is a lovely boutique hotel with a very cool design. Hotel is new, rooms are beautiful, comfortable, and spotlessly clean. Met the owner/designer and that was a nice bonus, and all of the staff were exceptionally kind. The hotel offers a wonderful breakfast and has a bar and cinema downstairs. The hotel is well located and in easy walking distance to the train station, restaurants, and shops. Stay here and you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Matterhorn.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We loved:
- central location
- very helpful staff (they booked for us restaurants and gave a lot od useful infos about Zermatt)
- rooms with modern design
- spa with unique concept (creation of world)

Our stay in hotel was 5 star. Highly recommended

Tip: There is no room service or restaurant in hotel but there are many lovely restaurants just few steps from hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Nice hotel, great rooms, breakfast and spa.. Unfortunately not all staff was friendly. Some of the standard rooms have a view on the Matterhorn so ask for those! Overall we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

When you read the reviews on tripadvisor about this hotel you already have all the big positive points: awesome design - real central location - state of the art equipped rooms - great view from the balconies - nice staff - great breakfast buffet - innovative wellness.

So I might stop here, but this was not my impression when I left the hotel ... The first and essential piece of a hotel room is the bed, mine was very hard and when I looked at the design of the bed I knew why - it might be a good idea at first to have enormous storage capacity under your mattress, but then you shouldn't sacrifice comfort for that. The shower is also a piece of art, until the moment where you leave the shower and you notice that a lot of water has escaped the shower under the "closed" door and created a small lake inside your room. Then there are a lot of buttons for different lights in the room, light sceneries included, except that I never got the result I wanted when I pushed the button.

The wellness - again what a great idea to innovate with different cabins/themes than the common offer in other hotels. But again it is not practical, you don't know until you disturbed the person inside the cabin if it is already occupied or not. And a sauna experience is based on wood absorbing and releasing the heat, not about a cube of 60% glass surface.

Last point - the hotel seemed a bit "light" on staff, the guy at the front desk was trying to manage everything alone, the room was not completely made up, and no one took away the piles of towels and used glasses of drinks in the wellness area.

I visited some 15 hotels in Zermatt over the last 20 years, but at this point I must say this hotel is far from being my favorite. Best hotels so far for me in Zermatt are the Cervo and The Riffelalp.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Roblux
backstage2009, Inhaber at Backstage Hotel Vernissage, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Guest of the Backstage Hotel

As the owner and designer of the hotel I would like to thank you at this point in the name of the entire Backstage Hotel team for all these charming and positive messages we have received so far.
Especially that is why I was personally hit by this critical and negative message this week. I would like to apologize for the disappointment.
In one point I fully agree with Mr. Roblux. Last weekend we were totally run over in our hotel and especially in the SPA area, so that we were a little bit “light” on employees. As a result we reacted with the employment of an additional person to support the existing team and to take care of the SPA.
Regarding the criticism of the functionality and technique of the hotel I would like to highlight that I question certain aspects about it too since I am always trying to find alternative ways of solving such issues. I cannot stand if there are suitcases disturbing the esthetical image of a hotel room. Therefore I build the beds in the Backstage Hotel slightly higher in order to provide space to hide the suitcases underneath. However this has nothing to do with the comfort of the bed and the mattresses. By the way the beds we have in the Backstage Hotel Vernissage are exactly the same like the beds of the Hotel Cervo which you praised so much Mr. Roblux. A reason that the shower was floated was probably that the shower door was not properly closed, or else we would have noticed already damages in other rooms in the meantime.
The use of our SPA concept of the creation of the world story from the Bible with the seven rooms is comparable to the concept of a normal SPA. The treatment rooms are available to anyone and provide so much space until they are full. The only exception is “DAY 5, Fauna”, which one can experience in a floating. The room is limited to 2-3 people and rather intimate. The user can find red buttons at the entrance which indicate if the room is occupied already or not. We will consider if we should add some extra signs for the doors though, thank you for the input! Moreover it is security wise not allowed to have doors in the SPA which one can close from inside.
The entire concept with its range of products of the Backstage Hotel Vernissage is different compared to another hotel. This might cause that some customers which usually stay in traditional hotels could have some difficulties. On the other hand this concept chooses a very specific segment of clients which highly appreciate and seek something diverse.
At this point I would like to thank again all our friends and guests which appreciate our uncomplicated but exclusive way of hosting customers in our world of music, art, film, design and architecture.

Heinz Julen
Designer & Owner
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

If location, style, service and fun are important, Backstage is the best hotel and the best kept secret in Zermatt. The hotel is owned by Heinz Julen, designer and architect who created hotels Coeur des Alpes and Focus, among others. Backstage is the culmination of this, but located in the heart of town! Downstairs is one of the coolest bars in town and a funky movie theatre. The spa is sensational. We had a great time and it was very hard to leave.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends