“Great design but practical ?”

Backstage Hotel Vernissage
Ranked #29 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed August 21, 2012

When you read the reviews on tripadvisor about this hotel you already have all the big positive points: awesome design - real central location - state of the art equipped rooms - great view from the balconies - nice staff - great breakfast buffet - innovative wellness.

So I might stop here, but this was not my impression when I left the hotel ... The first and essential piece of a hotel room is the bed, mine was very hard and when I looked at the design of the bed I knew why - it might be a good idea at first to have enormous storage capacity under your mattress, but then you shouldn't sacrifice comfort for that. The shower is also a piece of art, until the moment where you leave the shower and you notice that a lot of water has escaped the shower under the "closed" door and created a small lake inside your room. Then there are a lot of buttons for different lights in the room, light sceneries included, except that I never got the result I wanted when I pushed the button.

The wellness - again what a great idea to innovate with different cabins/themes than the common offer in other hotels. But again it is not practical, you don't know until you disturbed the person inside the cabin if it is already occupied or not. And a sauna experience is based on wood absorbing and releasing the heat, not about a cube of 60% glass surface.

Last point - the hotel seemed a bit "light" on staff, the guy at the front desk was trying to manage everything alone, the room was not completely made up, and no one took away the piles of towels and used glasses of drinks in the wellness area.

I visited some 15 hotels in Zermatt over the last 20 years, but at this point I must say this hotel is far from being my favorite. Best hotels so far for me in Zermatt are the Cervo and The Riffelalp.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Roblux
backstage2009, Inhaber at Backstage Hotel Vernissage, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Guest of the Backstage Hotel

As the owner and designer of the hotel I would like to thank you at this point in the name of the entire Backstage Hotel team for all these charming and positive messages we have received so far.
Especially that is why I was personally hit by this critical and negative message this week. I would like to apologize for the disappointment.
In one point I fully agree with Mr. Roblux. Last weekend we were totally run over in our hotel and especially in the SPA area, so that we were a little bit “light” on employees. As a result we reacted with the employment of an additional person to support the existing team and to take care of the SPA.
Regarding the criticism of the functionality and technique of the hotel I would like to highlight that I question certain aspects about it too since I am always trying to find alternative ways of solving such issues. I cannot stand if there are suitcases disturbing the esthetical image of a hotel room. Therefore I build the beds in the Backstage Hotel slightly higher in order to provide space to hide the suitcases underneath. However this has nothing to do with the comfort of the bed and the mattresses. By the way the beds we have in the Backstage Hotel Vernissage are exactly the same like the beds of the Hotel Cervo which you praised so much Mr. Roblux. A reason that the shower was floated was probably that the shower door was not properly closed, or else we would have noticed already damages in other rooms in the meantime.
The use of our SPA concept of the creation of the world story from the Bible with the seven rooms is comparable to the concept of a normal SPA. The treatment rooms are available to anyone and provide so much space until they are full. The only exception is “DAY 5, Fauna”, which one can experience in a floating. The room is limited to 2-3 people and rather intimate. The user can find red buttons at the entrance which indicate if the room is occupied already or not. We will consider if we should add some extra signs for the doors though, thank you for the input! Moreover it is security wise not allowed to have doors in the SPA which one can close from inside.
The entire concept with its range of products of the Backstage Hotel Vernissage is different compared to another hotel. This might cause that some customers which usually stay in traditional hotels could have some difficulties. On the other hand this concept chooses a very specific segment of clients which highly appreciate and seek something diverse.
At this point I would like to thank again all our friends and guests which appreciate our uncomplicated but exclusive way of hosting customers in our world of music, art, film, design and architecture.

Heinz Julen
Designer & Owner

Reviewed August 15, 2012

If location, style, service and fun are important, Backstage is the best hotel and the best kept secret in Zermatt. The hotel is owned by Heinz Julen, designer and architect who created hotels Coeur des Alpes and Focus, among others. Backstage is the culmination of this, but located in the heart of town! Downstairs is one of the coolest bars in town and a funky movie theatre. The spa is sensational. We had a great time and it was very hard to leave.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I have done a lot of travelling and generally stay, in Europe, in 2/3 star accommodation. I have NO REGRETS for breaking our tradition to stay in this quirky special hotel. i totally agree with other reviewers, so won't repeat it all here. Suffice to say, we wished we could have stayed longer to utilise all the facilities; This is NOT the place for dumping your bags, going out all day and night - you need time IN the hotel enjoying all that's been mentioned.
Also- we thought this was good value for what was provided, considering it's Ski resort territory:Zermatt.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Previous reviews have said it all and we agree with the exclamation points. I would just add that Dominique Julen provided excellent recommendations for a range of dining options in Zermatt and likewise good tips for our summer skiing.

Room Tip: The web site says that rooms are for max double occupancy, but in fact rooms can fit more than two p...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Taylor B
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We spent 10 days here this year and of all the places I've visited this has to be my top choice. The design is fantastic and meeting Heinz Julen the designer and his wife who personally ensured we had a fantastic stay was an added bonus. As for the Hotel itself this is quite amazing and the benefit of the Vernissage Cinema and Gallery add exponentially to the value of the experience staying. The Wellness Centre sets the highest standard for this facility and was a fantastic place to relax after a days skiing.
We had our two children with us and were accommodated in the Cube room with adjacent kids room complete with shower, basin, wc and cupboards which was truly a marvel of design and fabrication. There aren't enough superlatives to describe this hotel and we would recommend this to anyone without hesitation. Zermatt itself is a fabulous destination and this hotel is really the pinnacle of design in this outstanding resort.
What more can I say, we loved this place and will happily be back sometime in the near future!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the South of the Hotel have an excellent view over the city and the mountains. Don'...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vincent_Buxley
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is more than a Hotel, it is an unique experience. Starting with the friendly & personalised welcome , the staff was amazing ! The room , well... you have to see it ! the cube Suites are great ! You can personalise your room theme it's amazing ! Then your room is equipped with plenty of little attentions from coffee machine to a automatic fire place.
The morning breakfast buffet is beautiful and everything is freshly cooked in front of you. After skiing don't forget to enjoy the SPA , a beautiful track trough the creation of earth , my favorite the Dead Sea Bath ;-) aaaaaammmazing !
The hotel is also very central for those skiing and those enjoying the nightlife of Zermatt (but far enough so you don't have the noise !
And for on site NightLife the Vernissage club and cinema is a legend !!! the Bands playing there are great ! and try the Cinema dinner & cocktail just great !

Overall you don't really feel in a hotel here , it is rather a friendly house , with all the staff passionate about what they do !

Room Tip: Get the Cube Suites they're Great !!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Let me start with the fact that a Hotel really has to blow me away before I write a review. Secondly, I am from the Hotel industry and have experienced and been to countless hotels all around the world.
This hotel is by far, the most incredible one! (this is not an exaggeration). This hotel exceeds their 4 stars by a mile. In my opinion i would consider it a 5++ star. All the thought and details that have been put into this hotel is amazing!
The location is perfect! You are in the centre of the town, 2 minutes by foot from the Train station, yet you feel it is private. The Rooms are one of a kind! The designer/architect really has put their heart and soul into this. You will never find a hotel remotely comparable to this one. The beds are super comfortable and you feel like your sleeping in heaven! (no joke). Then there is the Spa. The Spa is incredible. Again, the details to attention is great. Due to the fact that the hotel has a limited amount of rooms, and they control outside guests very strictly, you feel as if the entire spa is reserved for you alone. The spa consists of 7 rooms and a Jacuzzi. I highly recommend to try out all rooms. Every one is unique in its own way. Afterwards you feel like a new born, completely relaxed and fresh!! But do take your time for this (i recommend around 2.5-3 hours). As for the food, they have an amazing concept!! the Flight box! TRY IT! Basically, its rooms service, for any location in the hotel, with a fixed 3 course menu. It is amazing! The chef has a great sense of tastes and portions! It is a MUST!
Underneath the hotel, there is a stylish bar with access to a private art gallery.
I could go on and on with praises for this hotel (in all honesty), but at the end, you really have to go there to experience it.
For any questions regarding this hotel, it would be a pleasure to answer anything. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this to anyone. It is worth every penny and more!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple