“You ABSOLUTELY have to visit this Hotel !!!!”

Backstage Hotel Vernissage
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
“You ABSOLUTELY have to visit this Hotel !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We spent 10 days here this year and of all the places I've visited this has to be my top choice. The design is fantastic and meeting Heinz Julen the designer and his wife who personally ensured we had a fantastic stay was an added bonus. As for the Hotel itself this is quite amazing and the benefit of the Vernissage Cinema and Gallery add exponentially to the value of the experience staying. The Wellness Centre sets the highest standard for this facility and was a fantastic place to relax after a days skiing.
We had our two children with us and were accommodated in the Cube room with adjacent kids room complete with shower, basin, wc and cupboards which was truly a marvel of design and fabrication. There aren't enough superlatives to describe this hotel and we would recommend this to anyone without hesitation. Zermatt itself is a fabulous destination and this hotel is really the pinnacle of design in this outstanding resort.
What more can I say, we loved this place and will happily be back sometime in the near future!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the South of the Hotel have an excellent view over the city and the mountains. Don'...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vincent_Buxley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is more than a Hotel, it is an unique experience. Starting with the friendly & personalised welcome , the staff was amazing ! The room , well... you have to see it ! the cube Suites are great ! You can personalise your room theme it's amazing ! Then your room is equipped with plenty of little attentions from coffee machine to a automatic fire place.
The morning breakfast buffet is beautiful and everything is freshly cooked in front of you. After skiing don't forget to enjoy the SPA , a beautiful track trough the creation of earth , my favorite the Dead Sea Bath ;-) aaaaaammmazing !
The hotel is also very central for those skiing and those enjoying the nightlife of Zermatt (but far enough so you don't have the noise !
And for on site NightLife the Vernissage club and cinema is a legend !!! the Bands playing there are great ! and try the Cinema dinner & cocktail just great !

Overall you don't really feel in a hotel here , it is rather a friendly house , with all the staff passionate about what they do !

Room Tip: Get the Cube Suites they're Great !!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Let me start with the fact that a Hotel really has to blow me away before I write a review. Secondly, I am from the Hotel industry and have experienced and been to countless hotels all around the world.
This hotel is by far, the most incredible one! (this is not an exaggeration). This hotel exceeds their 4 stars by a mile. In my opinion i would consider it a 5++ star. All the thought and details that have been put into this hotel is amazing!
The location is perfect! You are in the centre of the town, 2 minutes by foot from the Train station, yet you feel it is private. The Rooms are one of a kind! The designer/architect really has put their heart and soul into this. You will never find a hotel remotely comparable to this one. The beds are super comfortable and you feel like your sleeping in heaven! (no joke). Then there is the Spa. The Spa is incredible. Again, the details to attention is great. Due to the fact that the hotel has a limited amount of rooms, and they control outside guests very strictly, you feel as if the entire spa is reserved for you alone. The spa consists of 7 rooms and a Jacuzzi. I highly recommend to try out all rooms. Every one is unique in its own way. Afterwards you feel like a new born, completely relaxed and fresh!! But do take your time for this (i recommend around 2.5-3 hours). As for the food, they have an amazing concept!! the Flight box! TRY IT! Basically, its rooms service, for any location in the hotel, with a fixed 3 course menu. It is amazing! The chef has a great sense of tastes and portions! It is a MUST!
Underneath the hotel, there is a stylish bar with access to a private art gallery.
I could go on and on with praises for this hotel (in all honesty), but at the end, you really have to go there to experience it.
For any questions regarding this hotel, it would be a pleasure to answer anything. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this to anyone. It is worth every penny and more!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I am a CEO, and with lots of travel, have become quite picky with the finer details of what true quality and service look like. I can say with absolute conviction, Backstage Hotel is my new yard stick for quality. Amazing! the staff, the design, cleanliness, price, food, rooms, spa, and in house movie cinema all flawless.

In the middle of such as small village, to find a unique, modern hotel was an absolute treat.
Highly recommended. It is very funky to fit the 'backstage' theatrical concept, which we loved, but may not suit those looking for the quintessential swiss mountain chalet with cow bells and plain wood. If the look suits your taste from the photos, the experience won't let you down.
enjoy, and thanks Backstage!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I rarely write reviews. As a matter of fact, I think I only wrote one in the past.. However, I enjoyed my stay at the Backstage so much that I felt the necessity to share it..
What a fantastic experience! From the moment I arrived until departure my stay was a pure pleasure.Three things in particular needed to be mentioned.

First of all, as I walked in the building I was impressed by the unique interior design inspired by various art forms and especially music (as the hotel's name suggests). I was later explained that the owner created every single item, from the architecture to the mirrors in the bathrooms (they also sell the furniture in the store next door!). The result is a very personal and warm atmosphere full of surprising details. I stayed in one of their cube lofts and it was simply the coolest hotel room I ever stayed in. Make sure you get to visit one of them at least...

The second point that deserves to be praised is the genuine hospitality of the staff. They were simply perfect all along. The team led by a charming young manager was always very friendly, smiling, helpful, never rigid, they made me feel at home. I am not an expert in service methods but I'm pretty sure that I'm tired of having to deal with arrogant or snobby staff. Simplicity and authenticity that's how I measure service quality.. They passed the test with honors

Finally, on my last day I enjoyed their SPA which is simply great. It is built around seven rooms corresponding to the seven days of the creation of the world as described in the Book of Genesis. One of the most relaxing rooms features a highly salted pool where you will find yourself floating while listening to various animals (I almost fell asleep).

If you're tired of the usual standards of luxury and looking for a fresh alternative then this is the place to be in Zermatt. My only regret is that this concept can only be found in Zermatt! When will you bring Backstage to London or Paris?

PS: Wether you stay at the hotel or not, book a table for diner at their movie theater! They'll serve you a "table d'hôtes" style menu while you're enjoying the movie... Awesome..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

What an unexpected delight to find this amazing hotel in Zermatt! it stood out from all the traditional swiss chalets and ski lodges, with a very unique design and style. The hotel is exceptionally central in its location, a short 2 minute walk from the train station, and located above a cinema which shows international as well as english language films. There is also a lovely spa downstairs, which had a beautiful lounge space.

The hotel is a lovingly-created work of ART, with the artist/ owner's touch visible in almost every detail of the hotel. From the amazing 'chandelier' made up of music instruments, violins at the base, guitars higher up and brass instruments to add the sheen to the copper-plated walls, the hotel is jawdropping from the moment you walk in. There is a unique steampunk style to the hotel, with many of the hotel's fixtures hand-made by the owner and his team. The rooms are comfortable and well-laid out, with the softest duvets imaginable. The water did tend to leak a bit into the room when you showered, because of the design of the bathroom, but it was easily stopped by stuffing the bathmat into the ledge under the door. There is also a huge, and well-stocked ski shop and ski rental station IN the hotel (on level 1), so no need to go around hunting for one- it's all one stop at this hotel! One of the nicest things we did was to book a table in their art gallery downstairs for dinner. We ate a meal in a stunning ambience, sitting around a modern lit table decked with candles, candelabra and flower petals, surrounded by steel sculpture art created by the owner of the hotel. I would also strongly recommend the movie dinner experience. The theatre itself, which is 20 years old is a work of art in itself, you have to see it to believe it - with massive steel chandeliers (that swing to the side when the show begins), cosy leather sofas and blankets. The three-course dinner that was served was also very good.

Kudos to the staff for service - one helped me to change the ISO setting on my SLR camera when it was too dark to shoot correctly, and another helped to print out the train schedules when I enquired on the right train to take to catch my flight to Zurich. And I should mention that breakfast is included, and it was awesome - fresh-cooked eggs in any style, great cappucino, fluffy croissants and oranges to squeeze into the freshest juice you can have.

The layout of the hotel might be better suited to friends and couples traveling together though, as the glass bathrooms and lack of hooks for hanging towels inside, might make modest guests a little uncomfortable. The family room (for four) also has a glass bathroom, so... ! But for couples, the hotel is amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone. Even my parents (my dad is 70) found the Backstage fascinating, they were staying at a tradtional ski lodge down the road, but kept coming around to hang out in our lobby and have dinner with us!

Room Tip: If you are staying with a group of friends, ask for rooms on the same side of the corridor, as they...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jetsetter741
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

the hotel is amazing even though me and my girlfriend felt oakward checking-in a 5 star hotel dressed in skiing outfits only with a backpack and snowboards in our hands (we were actually staying for the week in Cervinia, the italian side of the matterhorn, and decided to spend one night in Zermatt, so we just skiied our way to the swiss side) we happened to meet Heinz Julen, the owner of the Backstage who was extremely kind and made us immediately felt at ease helping us out showing us the way,he is also the guy who designed the whole ambience and concept of the hotel which is actually very cool, i especially liked the big chandelier in the lobby! Special thanks go to Dominique as well who gave us some nice indications for skiing and eating on the slopes and introduced us to the unique spa concept of the Backstage, "the creation of the world in 7 days" for which you go trough 7 different cubes and in each one you get different things like infrared lights, or you find yourself into a jungle, or you float in the water like in the dead sea! that was really awesome! completely different from the normal spa concept you find in other hotels/wellness centers.
Moreover you have a cinema, a bar and restaurant where bands play and there's a table where you can eat which kind of flies over the art gallery of the hotel. believe me the hotel's structure itself is really cool, and you just want to take lots of picture of the decorations,lamps, the spa cubes, open air jacuzzi and everything else! the staff is very friendly and you can tell that they pay lots of attention to detail just by looking at their table set up of which i wish i could post a picture! my girlfriend loved it! The rooms are very comfortable and everything you need is inside there, views over the matterhorn are enchanting and the bed is the best i ever tried! really rejuvenating! Usually i ve some difficulties getting asleep but overthere i slept like a child! So what else to say...both me and my girlfriend work in hotels and love skiing and we think that Zermatt is the place to be if you love to ski, and the Backstage is the place to be in Zermatt! overthere you can relax in a simple, familiar but still very classy atmosphere where friendliness,art,fun and attention to detail are all combined together! We went there and enjoyed the vacation as a couple but we would recommend the hotel to anyone, family or friends! we will surely be back at the Backstage next year and this time not only for one night!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple