“Best meal of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chalet da Giuseppe

Chalet da Giuseppe
Ranked #18 of 196 Restaurants in Zermatt
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Best meal of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

The pasta was out of this world. The steak melted in my mouth. Risotto was legendary. I want Guisseppe to cook every meal for the rest of my life!

London
“Great Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went on the recommendation of our hotel - tables a little too close together but food was excellent and atomsphere pleasant.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank tinkers234
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Southern Italy finds the Swiss Alps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

A bit of a challenge to find; it's just past the Gornergrat train overpass, with the misleading sign for La Chalet. Giuseppe makes you feel like you've arrived at you uncle's house and the (talented) nephews are busy in the kitchen. When the music is good, Guiseppe sings the chorus with a laugh and a smile. The decor is like old aunt Marie's knickknack collection had offspring. Don't let that deter you from the food, which is the highlight. Ask for the prix fixe chef's surprise and hope for the perfectly cooked lamb chops in the midst of an 8 course tasting menu. It's the best value we had in Zermatt, entertainment included.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Edward H
Jackson, Mississippi
“HURRY! HURRY!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had high hopes for this restaurant from all the reviews. The food was excellent, the atmosphere was unique and rustic, but the service was questionable at best. I felt like I was being rushed the whole time. They brought us the complimentary bruschetta and champagne, which was great. When my wife had a whole piece of bread on her plate, they literally grabbed it from her telling her to take her bread off. I don't know if they were in a plate shortage but it seemed ridiculous not to allow someone a bread plate. We ordered a nice bottle of wine, but before we could finish one glass they brought our entrees. Fast service is good when you have to be back at work in an hour, but on vacation at a restaurant where the cheapest entree is around 35 francs I want to sit and enjoy a long dinner with wine, otherwise I would go to McDonald's. They brought me the wrong entree, ravioli instead of the spaghetti chalet. My wife was done with hers by the time I got mine. It was ridiculous, we were out of there in an hour. I would reccomend getting carry out and having dinner at your own chalet if you wish to have a romantic dinner.

1 Thank Billy43833
Singapore, Singapore
“One of the best secrets in Zermatt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Italian owner Guiseppe treats you like family throughout the evening. I lived in Zermatt for 6 winters and it is pleasantly always a highlight to return here for dinner.

Great italian food is a given. But what is unusual for Zermatt is the welcome prosecco that everyone receives while they peruse the menu. Then as a thank you, he still places a bottle of grappa on the table. Prices are reasonable by Zermatt standards and he will even offer you a second portion.

His Italian wine list is reasonable and extensive and if you need advice for something new, Guiseppe will provide you with a pleasant surprise. He suggested a red from Verona that was only 58 chf that we add to our wine list now.

Book well in advance even in slow season as the locals love the place and it's relatively a small restaurant. (tables are close together which is the only drawback).

• Visited January 2012