“Stunning...”

Ranked #30 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
London
“Stunning...”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

To be quite honest I had mixed feelings when I booked a room here for one night,reading some of the reviews on here made me think twice...
However, just take away the location and the hotel is perfectly fine, my room was good, comfortable bed and clean, the staff, check in and food all better than ok. Dinner was much better than I expected, not much choice, only 2 main course choices, but I suppose given the supply logistics I imagine a massive menu choice would be foolish to expect.
However, the location is what make it, I was so lucky with the weather, clear blue skies all day on the day I arrived, spectacular sunset and then the full moon rising behind me. Outraegously wonderful!
Not normally a morning person was up at around 0500 to watch the moon vanish behind the Matterhorn and then a while later light up with the suns rays on it. And the stars..........
I doubt if it had been cloudy all day and night I would have been so impressed, but sometimes it all works out right!
Recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank NeilM31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Maybe it is the altitude but I found the woman on the front desk appalling. Unfriendly, unhelpful and cold. The waitstaff were lovely, the food was fine - nothing special, but not terrible. The rooms were clean, fresh but a little Spartan. No fridge, no shampoo, no extra pillows. No bathtub. No little touches. There didn't seem to be anywhere to make a cup of tea, unless you had to pay CHF6 for one. There is nothing else up there, so after a day or half a day hiking at 3000+ metres, it would be nice to be able to make a cuppa. They would benefit from having a small mediatheque/library available to paying guests to browse maps and books about the area and relax with a coffee.

I would recommend staying if only for the views of the Matterhorn, but it might be smarter to stay lower down, and come up for the view. Without the mountain this hotel is a B-

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank InnDevMgmt
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed here for one night during a 9 day holiday in Zermatt. The hotel location certainly lived up to our expectations and it is very cool staying up on the mountain when everyone else has gone.
We splashed out on the Monta Rosa suite and would recommend the room as it is outstanding.

Unfortunately the food and service did not live up to expectation and do not compliment the awesome location. Neither are 'bad' but there is room for improvement to make this a truly memorable experience. Generally the staff were polite but disinterested. There is nothing to do in the evening which is fine, but there is opportunity to create a more homely atmosphere, it is all rather sterile with little (no?) effort made for hotel guests. Small things like books on the history of the place, a place to sit / drink away from the day time cafeteria, tea and coffee making facilites in the room, a daily in house movie on TV, etc would make all the difference.

Food was disappointing for hotel in this price range, does not compare well with the other mountain restaurants, and not a patch on the Hotel Butterfly where we spent 8 nights . Perhaps we had been spoilt?

Despite being there in a 'white out' - which ruled out the star gazing opportunity - we enjoyed the experience and recommend it - with reservations about the food and service - go for the location and the general James Bond atmosphere!

• Liked — Mount Rosa Suite
  • Disliked — Service and Food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Cass2007
London
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed for 6 nights over Christmas, with our 15 year old daughter for a skiing holiday. The location is completely unique with stunning views from the bedrooms. We splashed out on the Monte Rosa suite and it was worth every penny.

It was not a problem being 'stranded' in the evenings at 3000 metres after the Gornergrat railway closed because the hotel has a warm friendly atmoshere, and we all loved the restaurant.

It was a great place to ski from, and the cog railway became our friend, the way we always returned at the end of the day,

The shops downstairs provided good Christmas presents, and the self service restaurant was good for snacks and lunches.

We were lucky enough to have clear night skies, so were able to see the stars through one of the telescopes in the observatory one evening.

Nothing however can beart lying in bed under a warm soft duvet seeing the rising sun strike the Matterhorn. Fabulous!

• Liked — Unique location, friendly service, good food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DoctorKate
Carmichael, California
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Upon checking in you would not know this place is 100 years old. It is everything a recent reviewer said it is. We stayed here for two nights (24 and 25 September) following an all-day trip on the Glacier Express from Chur. We had a room that faced the Matterhorn, which was in view on the way up on the Gornergratbahn. The next day it disappeaared. Outside there was a break in the clouds that resembled flying in an old piston DC-6 aircraft. When we left after the second day it was snowing. However, the only drawback is that if you are not into hiking there really isn't anything to do up there. Also, the Gornergratbahn does not run at night so forget about Zermatt night life. Overall, it was one of our best stays in Switzerland. And, there was no problem with the altitude, which is over 10,000 feet. We recommend it and I'm 74.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank N6JM
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed at Kulm Hotel for 1 night in room 4357a twin room. It is one of only 2 rooms in the hotel that has a terrace / balcony. The terrace was large with a stunning view! Hotel has only 23 rooms and there are also 2 observatories. The stars at night are stunning!

We only had a weekend to make a trip from Geneva since I was there on business. We spent the previous night in Zermatt (La Couronne Hotel - see separate review) and came up here for one night.

You arrive and leave by cog and wheel train - necessary since the angle is so steep. The views from the train are also outstanding. It makes 4 stops along the way (there are other hotels at them if this one if fully booked). Takes approx 45 minutes. The train station to Gornegrat is directly next to the train station to/ from Tache.

We arrived before the room was ready (11 am). They let us store our luggage so we could go and walk around. When we checked in they took us up to the room and showed us how everything worked.

Staff: Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

This hotel was recently refurbished approximately 2 to 3 years ago and I don't believe it is a 1 star hotel anymore. It is defiently much nicer - everything is new all throughout the hotel from the rooms, to the restaurants to new shops and stores. My fiance was here 15 years ago and he was astounded at the changes.

All the rooms are named after one of the mountains in the range they look upon and the and elevation of that mountain.

Room: Bed was two twins together with the gap in the middle. TV with CNN, BBC and BBC Prime in English. Drapes are room darkening. Sunrise is early. Lots of hanging / storage space. Small minibar in room.

Bathroom: Shower only. Toiletries were soap and shampoo / shower get only so bring your own. There was a towel warmer there for the towels.

Internet: They have a free internet terminal - one level above the reception desk. I also got wireless in my room but it was a very sketchy connection - think I may have been accidentally riding off someone else (perhaps the office or the observatory??)

Room Service: None. Dinner (excluding drinks) is included in the price of the room and served in the dining room. Menu changes but is set for the day - small salad bar, soup, 1 meat (veal) and 1 vegetarian entree (flour dumplings with cheese sauce), dessert, coffee / tea. If you have any special dietary requirements let them know when you book your room and they will do their best to accomodate you.

There is also a cafeteria style dining area open during the day when all the day trip tourists come up. Otherwise there is no additional dining / grocery store etc available. The gift shop sells drinks and candy but that is it.

There is no tipping during your stay but like other European hotels they give you the option to tip upon checkout. Standard at most hotels where this occurs is usually 10% of your room charge (i.e. 340 CHF / day = 34 CHF tip per day)

Shopping: They have some stores - one sells wathces / jewelry, one selling Swiss souveniers, luggage, hiking poles, third is a chocolate shop and the fourth is a camera store (sells postcards, posters, pictures, batteries, film etc). My lithium ion battery was totally drained and I did not have my charger with me. The camera store charged my battery for me over 2 hours for a charge of 5 CHF.

Things to do: Enjoy the view or go on one of the many hiking trails. You can also take a tour of the obersavatory if you request in advance. My fiance and I arranged for a tour - only once a day and it was at 9pm. It was very interesting. The gentleman explained what he was doing, showed us both observatories - one has a digital telescope and one a regular one that he let us look through to see Jupiter and three of its moons. His English is pretty good but he can't explain everything. If you speak Swiss German you'll learn much more.

Altitude: You are at 3100 m - over 10,000 feet altitude. If you are not used to it take it easy - just walk around slowly and don't run.

Bring suncreen! The sun is very intense here even if it is cold out. The high temperature was 7C while we were there.

Fabulous time. We lucked out on the weather and it was great. We want to come back for longer to do some hikes next year.

• Liked — Terrace and view - hiking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NYC-Canuck
coconut creek,fl
Reviewed July 10, 2007

SWITZERLAND: Gornergrat
An Island in the Sky
Thunder awakened us on Thursday morning, June 21, 2007, the Summer Solstice, from our comfortable beds at the Hotel Butterfly in Zermatt. After breakfast we boarded the Gornergratbahm at 11:36AM to travel to the highest hotel in Europe, Kulmhotel Gornergat. Gornergrat, above Zermatt, is Switzerland's highest open-air train station. The Gornergrat Bahn electric railway opened for business in 1898, taking tourists from Zermatt to a scenic overlook 9.4 km (5.9 miles) away. Situated at 3100 meters above sea level amidst 29 glorious peaks, most of them covered with snow 24/7, year-round, the hotel has 23 modern-furnished rooms with a Matterhorn view on the west, our choice, and a Monte Rosa view on the south side. Actually, from our room we saw the Matterhorn, a Swiss view. Leaving the room’s front door, we saw Monte Rosa, an Italian view!
That Soltice morning in Zermatt we were in torrents of rain and ,wow, there’s nothing like a Swiss rainfall to chill you. As we ascended the mountains, we sailed through the clouds, then rose above the mist and saw the tops of those clouds. At 12:15PM , we reached our destination and die sonne scheinte!…not a cloud in the sky, and 5 degrees Celsius. Little did I know that this capricious weather would be a foreshadowing of the night to come.
We were greeted at the Kulmhotel by Ruth, a smiling, friendly receptionist, a native of Appenzell, Switzerland, and after only a 20 minute wait, filled with moments of peak-gazing and sipping on Switzerland’s famous ovalmaltine, Ruth escorted us to our room on the top, 3rd, floor. The fragrance of the knotty pine in the hallway and our room was so refreshing. Our beds, chairs, table, and desk were knotty pine. In front of our beds was a flat-screen TV which seemed so futuristic in this classically natural, woody, ambience. Outside our double window, larger than life, was her majesty, the Matterhorn. Each room is named after a mountain and the number indicates the elevation of each mountain. Ours was Rimpfischorn 4199. We lingered in the room for awhile, knowing that the daytime tourists who roamed the hotel environs and visible walking paths, clicking away on their assorted types of cameras, would soon be on their way.
From the distance, the path we selected for our hike looked like a section of the Great Wall of China. At 3:30 PM we hiked to a small mountain where previous hikers created “dolmens“. There were approximately 40 “mini -dolmens” ranging from 8 inches to 7 feet high.(Notice I switch from one form of measurement to another which is an indication of my mathematical weakness---cannot convert these numbers. . . even algebra burdened me, LOL). I use the term dolmens with poetic license because by definition a Dolmen consists of three or more upright stones supporting a large flat horizontal stone and usually it’s on top of a tomb. However, these appeared to be megalithic dolmens of praise adoring the natural attraction of this incredible communion of landscape and sky. On our return path to the Kulmhotel, we interacted with an ibex. Cautiously keeping about a 20 foot distance, she followed us back to the hotel. Weren’t we surprised to find that she was staying at the hotel ,also. Her “room“, an outdoor portion of land, located near the hotel’s large patio, was a series of tiny plateaus and peaks that she shared with her entire family of 12. They reminded me of an extended family relaxing after a holiday meal. We exchanged glances for about 10 minutes and I could not help but think of Blake’s “Little Lamb” companion poem which depicts the mild, tender, gentleness of lambs. To us, they were sweet like lambs. I just wanted to climb out on a ledge and join them. They were so beautiful and seemed to look deeply into your eyes…exchange glances. I can understand why Thoreau observed the ants at Walden Pond. I think we can learn so much from watching animals. In this case, I just felt complete inner piece participating in their presence. The natural and arranged, flowers, trees, peaks, waterfalls, clean air, benevolent people who speak several languages and the fauna, have been a catalyst for my return to Switzerland since 1986.
Time for dinner. When you stay at Kulmhotel, you eat at Kulmhotel. All the way up, alone in the sky, there are no other options. It
did not matter because the dining room was grand and featured large windows. While we ate and sipped on our rot wein und weissbier , we watched the ever changing appearance of the glaciers, peaks, and sky, as a result of an unhurried, sunset. The hotel had a fantastic salad bar which included pate, lettuce, vegetables, a variety of fresh bread and local cheese, hmmm good. We had 2 choices for a main course, dessert and tea/coffee . This dinner was included like the breakfast in what is called “half-board” The entire price per night was 260CHF which, translated to our $ currency, was a little over $215...a reasonable price to have a priceless experience.
As the sun approached the horizon, we departed for the bedroom, das zimmer, and commenced an intermittent night-long vigil. The regal pyramid-like structure, the Matterhorn, continually changed color and shape as a result of the sun’s gradual departure and the cloud movement. Leaning over our window sill like kids watching a parade, we felt like we could just grab the Matterhorn with a stretch of the arm. Suddenly, the sun vanished and light orange glimmered on the horizon followed by extremely chilly and voracious winds which blew the clouds over the Matterhorn, like a blanket covering a sleeping child. She was gone from our sight. In a few minutes, clouds rolled in like ocean waves and covered everything from our sights. Time to play rummycube! An hour later, we looked out the window and the clouds vanished! A million stars came out to watch the Matterhorn at rest. We could see her, also. She was a vision of ultimate splendor. We braved the cold, [remember nancy & valerie are Floridians], just to enjoy this incredible picture. With midnight approaching and a day of outdoor activity, slumber was a must. I awakened at 2AM to discover that the clouds returned, but this time they were layered. Then, an hour later, I was drawn to the window, our portal of mystical nature, and the clouds disintegrated again! The stars seemed to have doubled in luminous strength. Finally, I returned to bed and awakened at 7AM, just out of curiosity. She revealed herself , again in total splendor. I turned around and said,”Nancy, this is such a great way to greet the day!” and as I said that, we heard a sound like rice hitting the pavement thrown en masse at a wedding. It even looked like rice. SNOW!
This night time location was a weatherman’s opera!
We left the next morning with an experience of nature which will be performed in our memories forever. I highly recommend one or 2 summer nights at the Kulmhotel, Gornergrat, Switzerland. In the winter, it’s not unusual for people to spend a week there because of skiing. But, if you like hiking, walking, beautiful animals, peace, a night time performance of ever-changing weather, a wonderful hotel staff, adding up to a supreme experience, take the Gornergratbahm from Zermatt, a heavenly village, and experience this island of paradise high in the sky

2 Thank europhile149