“Delicious Food - Superior Service”
Review of Restaurant Julen

Restaurant Julen
Ranked #7 of 216 Restaurants in Zermatt
Cuisines: Swiss, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Time for specialeaties. Time for Tradition Julen. "Everyone is welcome in Restaurant Julen." That was as important for Meinrad Julen as it is today for the third generation of the family business. In the morning local workers stop by for their coffee break, at noon the traditional cuisine attracts businessmen, families and passers-by, and in the evening the cozy restaurant serves gourmet food based in traditional cuisine. New menus are created daily with love and passion. From the salad bar to beef tenderloin and lamb specialties to the hearty cheese fondue and dessert buffet on Thursdays, the a la carte menu has something for all tastes. Enjoy our carefully selected assortment of international wines. Make sure to reserve a table early!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had the pleasure of dining at Restaurant Julen this week during my visit to Zermatt. From the moment I laid my eyes on the exterior architectural details and pristine condition of the restaurant, I decided to go in. Once inside I found the atmosphere warm and welcoming. As I looked at table after table, patron seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

I was directed to see the general manager, Bruno, for a table. It was courteous and show me to a table quickly. Part ordered a glass of Fattoria Kappa, Tuscany. The wine was luscious and the rich and paired wonderfully with my meal.

I ordered the Braised Lamb Shank in Red Wine Sauce. Potatoes at Gratin. Vegetable Medley of Broccoli, Carrots, and Parsnips. Everything was prepared and presented beautifully.

Afterwords, Bruno invited me to try one of their locally made Schnapps at the bar. There were three different flavors. Apricot, beer, and prune. I selected the apricot. It was a fabulous way to finish the meal. Bruno further assisted me in calling for a shuttle to one of their sister hotels, Hotel Alpenhof, Which has a cigar bar. I had inquired about a place to get cigars and he hooked me up to a most amazing experience at the Alpenhof. I will write a review on that also.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Ask for Bruno!

1  Thank Jacob D
Write a reviewReviews (683)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Jessica and Guido were amazing staff, so welcoming, accommodating, and knowledgeable of the menu. We enjoyed a delicious Swiss fondue, wine, duck breast and halibut with risotto and asparagus. I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone who visits Zermatt!

Reviewed August 17, 2019 via mobile

Great ambience quiet environment fresh ingredients local lamb is terrific and a reasonable size portion.Expensive like all of Switzerland.Wait staff very good and changes easily accommodated.Excellent setup also tables not too close.Real craft beers from a smaller genuine brewer would have been nice.

Reviewed August 17, 2019 via mobile

We had a late lunch after Glacier Paradise trip in Julen - they take the last order at 1:25 pm. We had duck, fish and vegetarian dishes. Every dish was very good except the Massaman vegetarian dish , which was just good. The average dish cost was about 45 CHF - in-line with Zermatt restaurants.

Reviewed August 14, 2019 via mobile

Very tasty lamb meals. Definately recommend to try. Bruno is very helpful. I asked for cheese plate for dessert (not on the menu) and he made it happen!