“Meat paradise”

Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The guy that owns this place reckons the lamb that you eat were grown by him on the Alpine pastures. Where ever it came from, it tasted good. And just to confusion you it comes twice - you get a double helping. Oh my aching stomach.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Schaferstube

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Very cosy and chalet style restaurant in the Romantik Hotel Julen. The decorior is all lamb oriented even the lamps are made of sheep horns. We were 6 and seated at a smallish table but it is overall a rather narrow place which of course adds to the cosiness. The lamb is outstanding (they have their own) whatever type you go for. This is really what to go for there as it's the best I ever had (I had the ribs). Just outstanding! The wine list is very impressive with lots of excellent local (Valais) producers and a vast international selection. On the slightly disappointing side was the cheese fondue which had a strange consistency like if it was "watered" down with cream and had too much nutmeg for our taste. I don't know it that's more palatable to foreign tourists but it was a different fondue than we Swiss are used to. Overall though a very enjoyable evening with an amazing lamb experience in a homely place and friendly service.

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

They own their own sheep and serves really good lamb loin! The meat could just melt in your mouth! House wine was a little unexpectedly pricy tho.. Services atmosphere were all great

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was by far our best meal in Zermatt. Very small, cozy restaurant with the most delicious lamb specialties ever. My husband had the rack of lamb, my daughter and I both had the leg of lamb. We hummed our way through our meals. None of us left a speck of food on our plates. You will not make a mistake coming here just for the quality of the food. Absolutely delicious for the price point. Wonderful Swiss ambience. And fabulous desserts. Don't forget salad before the main meal, that was delicious as well. And the service was very personal. Felt like we were in the owner's kitchen.

2  Thank caro55
Reviewed September 15, 2012

With only 2 nights in Zermatt, we had to pick carefully and Schaferstubli was a real winner. Charming atmosphere, and lamb chops to die for!! We went very early so had no difficulty being seated. However, since this is a small, intimate space, I would highly recommend you reserve. Hostess was friendly and polite, and made helpful menu suggestions. I can't think of anything to adequately describe the mouth watering grilled lamb chops I had. Just go.. and be sure to order them!! Fondue is available also and several specialties to choose from. Located on a side street in the basement of Hotel Julen, it is easily overlooked, but so worth finding!!

1  Thank Chinana