“An astounding getaway in a getaway town”
Review of CERVO Zermatt

CERVO Zermatt
Ranked #10 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Zermatt is already a magical place disconnected from the outside world, free of motors and with crisp, clean air. CERVO just takes the experience to an even higher level. Although we do not ski, we found the ski elevator and tunnel very convenient for exploring the town on foot (watch yourself on the icy patches in winter, though!).

The rooms were beautiful, the service impeccable, and the views gorgeous, especially on a crisp, serene winter night. We would recommend this getaway to anyone, skier or not.

We traveled in January 2011, not 2012, but forgot to post the review...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin M

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Lot of positive things have been said about the Cervo in different reviews, I can only add that this place is very close to a perfect hotel. You have a great view over Zermatt, with a ideal situation at the end of the ski slope down to the village. The rooms and the spa(s) are beautiful, modern with a "natural" look and feeling.

The hotel staff is very friendly and helps out with a late dinner, which is not something very common in Switzerland. The quality of the food in the restaurant is also at a high level.

I visited 16 hotels in Zermatt so far during my stays in this wonderful village, and this hotel gets my first choice for now. Even the famous Riffelalp Ressort, where I stayed a few times, looks a bit old-fashioned compared to the Cervo.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Roblux
Reviewed April 30, 2012

For a few relaxing days, it was just perfect !
Very friendly, helpfull staff, beautiful rooms with breathtaking views, very nice SPA,
excellent breakfast, great care of details, we're impressed and looking forward to enjoy another stay.
Many thanks

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review. My husband, son (10 years old) stayed at the Cervo for nine days towards the close of the ski season. The accommodation was fabulous (we had a suite), the food was great, and the staff were helpful and accommodating. we will certainly be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Charmane R
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed at the Cervo for 9 nights. The staff were most unaccomodating in assisting with ski lessons and told us to call the instructors ourselves, after assuring us on our pre-booking calls that this was a concierge service they offered to guests. Furthermore, they attempted to add a surcharge when we went asked to pay for the lessons on our final bill.

The hotel plays loud music to attract crowds to their bar area daily. This affords the guests no lounge in which to sit apres ski, as the many intoxicated visitors stumble through the restaurant and facilities.

Spa faciliaites cannot be exclusively booked and are for the usage of all guests. Nudity is encouraged, once again allowing for no privacy.

The food served and the actual rooms were good, but I certainly would not stay there again and we feel their 4-star rating should be closely reviewed based on the lack of service they deliver to their international guests.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank N H H
dfl79, Inhaber at CERVO Zermatt, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear N H H

Thank you very much four feedback.

I am terrible sorry about your poor experience you had at the CERVO.
I personally will make sure to learn of our faults and to improve our services.

However I would like to give you a detailed feedback on all on your comments:

Ski lessons:
Our team coordinates with pleasure ski lessons with the different ski schools.
We are depending on the flexibility of the ski school and sometimes changes of lessons are just not possible. Regarding the payment: you have always the possibility to pay with no surcharge at the ski school or in cash at the hotel. As an extra service for our guest you can also pay with credit card with a small surcharge at the hotel. In your case with have not charged you with any surcharge.

Après Ski:
Yes we do après ski. It is part of our lifestyle and concept and also mentioned on our webside.
I would say our après ski is the most sophisticated in the Alps. With different bands and DJ's with are entertaining our guests. As we have 6 chalets with rooms and one main chalet with the restaurant and après ski, the après ski is well separated from the rooms.

Spa:
Each chalet has a private spa. Therefore only 5 to 11 rooms share the spa area and privacy is guaranteed. Spa culture all over the world is different. Being a hotel with an international clientele of course there are different ways to use the spa. However we have some guide lines that should help to respect the different cultures. If you wish a 100% privacy we suggest you our spa suites with steam room and outdoor hot tub.

Star rating:
We are rated from the two official hotel associations in Switzerland with 4.5 and 5 stars.

Unfortunately we can not turn back what happened. Hopefully you can give us a 2nd chance and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and give to greatest experience ever!

Best regards

Daniel F. Lauber
Hotelier & Hunter

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at the Cervo last week in a family group of 8 (including 2 children) and had a sensational holiday. From the many pre-trip phone calls until the moment we left, the staff could not have been more welcoming or better organised. I tend to mention those who give exceptional service by name, but dare not do it here for fear I might forget someone (everyone was exceptional!)
We often found ourselves describing the Cervo as having the most generous service we have experienced - we were made to feel at home at the same time as being pampered by everyone we came across. Every request was met with a smile and a genuine desire to help make everything perfect - nothing was to much trouble for the Cervo family.

We thoroughly enjoyed the food at the restaurant and at the bar - cancelling various reservations we had made in favour of staying in.

The massages we received from Maria were fantastic - Thank you.

The rooms were beautiful, comfy, spacious - immaculate. While I'm able to understand some previous comments about the bathrooms, I have to say this was not an issue for us and the subject never came up (we were staying in 5 different rooms). We took up all of Chalet IV and we all had impressive Matterhorn views.

The hotel's location was excellent - the Sunegga lift was extremely convenient. Unfortunately, I was a complete beginner, but those who ski red slopes will delight at being able to ski right up to the ski room and bar. The lift that takes you down to the centre of town was amazing - allowing us to experience Alpine isolation at the same time as being in the thick of things.

I cannot wait to return to Zermatt and cann't imagine staying anywhere else! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and I have to say, I have rarely met a more kind, helpful staff than at the Cervo. They accommodated our every need, which was not so easy, as we were a group of 7 adults and 8 children! I had to change our reservation a dozen times, and they never seemed exasperated with me. Our group had the only children in the hotel at the time we were there, and we never got a single remark or roll of the eye when they would run, jump, or say something too loudly. Whatever we needed help with, they were ready with a suggestion and helped in any way they could - restaurant reservations, packed lunches, children's special needs, etc. The rooms were large and spotless and every one of them had a view of the Matterhorn. Every evening, the turn-down service would give us a small present. I know this seems irrelevant, but that little extra something makes you feel special. It delights. Beds and cots were amazingly comfortable too.

The ONLY thing that I found disconcerting was the panel between the bathroom and bedroom. Basically, you could see right through it. Imagine slats of a wooden blind that are kept in the open position. This was the bathroom "door". If I had been staying with my children or husband in the room, it would have been no big deal, but given the fact that I was with someone that wasn't in my immediate family, I would have preferred some privacy. That said, by day 3, we were no longer too disturbed by the peep show bathroom situation. We just gave up on modesty and laughed about it, considering ourselves truly initiated into the "european" lifestyle. I would imagine however that some might feel quite uncomfortable.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family