“Excellent time & food”

Cuisines: European, Swiss
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Matterhorn Focus which was super great but no dinner serving restaurant. So walked to Sonnmatten Restaurant and had dinner outside facing Matterhorn with sunset (glad we brought ski jacket :) Birds was friendly and took bread crumbs from my hand. At sun down, outside of restaurant started playing the big horn.
The menu was very limited but what we had was excellent. Tomato soup was to die for! Carbonara was ok but the meat (was it pork? beef?) several hours in the oven was so good.
On the way back from the restaurant after dark was very pretty - looking down the lit houses.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on the trip advisor reviews. What a disappointment! The service was below average, smiling at first but showing little interest during the entire meal and was very slow. The food lacked freshness, quality and was too expensive compared to what was delivered. I took a salad as a starter, which was boring and composed of box ingredients. The pasta was overcooked and tasteless. The fruit dessert was not fresh at all. The wine was fine but expensive. The coffee did not lift the overall impression. This is not even a ** stars restaurant.

2  Thank morningsummit
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived here for the first time very late for lunch but were served delicious fish and burger with no problem by the very friendly staff. So we went back in the evening to have a drink and watch the sunset and ended up eating their evening menu. They modified it for a vegetarian and my husband enjoyed his beef very much, with a very good sauce. I asked if they did dessert wines and the answer was 'no but we have just made Heuschnaps today'. So I tried it. Having spend a day wandering round Zermatt where the farmers were harvesting the hay (very late this year) it was amazing to then be tasting it in a deliciously smooth drink. In the end even my husband tasted it and enjoyed it.

It had been the hottest weekend of the year and the staff had been very busy but they were still cheerful and ready to talk. We even got advice on where to walk when we went up the Gornergrat Bahn. Children were there and enjoying the trampoline but they did not disturb us. Everyone seems welcome here.

Make sure you go for the white wine soup if it is on the menu. I was less thrilled with the Basler Mehlsuppe. And take their advice on wines. the ones from the Wallis are very good.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was my second visit and the first under the new management. The restaurant was full (always a good sign ) and the service was very good despite the heavy workload for the staff. The menu has changed from an attempt at "fine dining" to excellently prepared and presented dishes with a hint of Swiss tradition. I had the noodles and salmon starter followed by Mistchatzerli (poussin) for the main course. The Gavi di Gavi wine was excellent and the whole experience much better than on the first . In contrast to my first visit the staff were very friendly and attentive.
It was a little to cold to sit on the patio and eat in the shadow of the magnificent Matterhorn and spectacular vista but maybe the next visit will be on a warm afternoon

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Our hotel recommended this restaurant and called ahead to make sure they could accommodate my gluten free diet - a result of celiac disease.

It was a short walk up the hill behind our hotel and a welcome escape from the busier area of Zermatt.

We were seated at a lovely table and received friendly service from the moment we arrived. The server let me know what dishes I could order and provided suggestions for our two children.

As someone else shared - the lobster bisque was very good and my sons soup was also very tasty.

It was one of the best dining experiences we had traveling through Europe.