“Super room with great view.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Le Mazot

Hotel Le Mazot
Ranked #93 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
Atlanta
“Super room with great view.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent two nights in a room with a great view of the Matterhorn. At night we left the window open at the top and were lulled to sleep by the sound of the river running just outside. The climb up the stairs is steep and difficult if you have large bags or are older.

The restaurant was very good with meats grilled over a wood fire.

The WIFI worked very well.

We were happy here and would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank worldair

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed two nights at this little hotel in Zermatt and was very pleased. The Swiss couple that runs the place are very friendly, and speak several languages. The hotel is about a five minute walk from the train station (some places in town you'll be walking quite a ways and uphill.)

I'm a solo budget traveler, so I opted for an inexpensive single room with a basin in room, with the WC/shower in the hall (but it's only shared with one other room). All the other rooms have balconies I believe.

The breakfast was typical European continental with bread/rolls, cheese, ham/salami, butter, jam, yogurt, muesli/cereals, coffee (or order Milchkaffee, and you'll get a little can of coffee and a can of hot milk), juice.

This place also serves dinner, and the menu looked really good. I had to picnic my whole trip in Switzerland since I'm on a budget, but the food they were offering looked pretty great, and was priced similarly or less than what other places offer.

Hotel Le Mazot is definitely worth it and gets an "A" rating.

There's no luggage storage here, except in the Ski room which isn't locked. You can risk it (probably without any problems) or you can take your stuff to the train station, go down the stairs, and use the lockers. A large locker (big enough for two large Rucksacks) costs 10 CHF for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Solo travelers can save by staying in a single room with a shared WC/shower. You won't spend mu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ceejinator
Somewhere In Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Antoinette (one half of the team that runs this charming hostelry) gave us a warm greeting at the door and took care of the paper-work in double-quick time. We were delighted with our room. Every inch or square centimetre was put to efficient use. Windows from both the bed and bath-rooms had stunning views of the Matterhorn. Our decision to eat in the hotel's restaurant turned out to be a wise choice. Not only was the dining-room lovely, with charming Austrian-made furniture, but the food was outstandingly good. Roger, the chef, is the other half of the dedicated duo that imbues this hotel with elan and energy. Sadly, we spent only one night at Le Mazot prior to embarking on the Glacier Express next morning. We shall seek other opportunities to return and experience more of Zermatt's many charms, and will definitely stay at Le Mazot again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Therese R
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights in September, 2012 and couldn't have been more pleased with our room.
First of all, it was an easy walk from the train station and lifts, but a couple blocks from the noise of the main street. Our room had a huge private balcony with a view of the Matterhorn where we enjoyed a glass of wine and snacks in the afternoon. (Note to owners: a small table and a couple of lounge chairs would have made it even better!) The old town was to the right, the Matterhorn straight ahead, and the river to the left.
The hotel only offers a few rooms with a keyed private entrance off the street and a restaurant on the ground floor. We didn't eat there, but enjoyed a great pizza and salad at the restaurant Vieux Valais right across the street.
Our room was clean and comfortable and well maintained. The included breakfast was served downstairs in a cheery room--typical buffet fare.
We were there for the hiking and enjoyed a different route each of the four days. It had snowed the night before we arrived so some of the trails were covered in snow, but well marked by signs. It felt less touristy than Grindelwald (our next stop) and lots of mountaineering/trekking types all around.
This was my fifth trip to Switzerland, but my first time in Zermatt and I had read that it was difficult to get to and a "one mountain town". We found it easy to reach by train and we were blessed by great Fall weather. Sometimes the Matterhorn would be in the clouds, but they always parted for long views of what is really a unique, majestic mountain. I think the Jungfrau area is gorgeous and offers more diversity of hiking options, but it also is more touristy. Zermatt has a "sporty" energy and I'm glad I didn't listen to the naysayers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hartomine
Sheffield, Tasmania, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just perfect for 2 Aussie 60 year old budget conscious backpackers touring Switzerland. Away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger resorts.
Beautiful view of the Matterhorn from our cute little room (with en suite)
We dined just across the road in a wonderful garden restaurant where we received VIP attention.
The sound of the river was absolutely wonderful....lay in bed watching the Matterhorn and the night full of stars, before falling into a deep slumber.
Breakfast next morning was to die for - absolutely nutritious and delicious.
Clean and every thing you need. Highly recommend this perfect little piece of paradise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here one night and enjoyed it. Small rooms, although it was enough for me. The staff was very helpful when I interacted with them. The breakfast was good. Everything was very clean here. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jszafraniec
Billericay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Great little hotel, cosy, perfect location, good value, good service, friendly staff and nice breakfast.. I had a lovely time here but I'm a light sleeper & my room was right next to the river which sounded like Niagara falls with the window open so didn't sleep too well of a night. If I stay here again I'll opt for a room on the other side of the hotel ;)

• Stayed July 2012