“Outstanding food and service”
Review of Chez Max Julen

Chez Max Julen
Ranked #6 of 201 Restaurants in Zermatt
Cuisines: Swiss, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2013

title says it all, go for the Chateaubriand to share, two services with two different side dishes on each service.

the restaurant has two floors, upstairs is very hot, go for the ground floor.

a huge spider decided to ruin my dinner experience; nevertheless, seeing panic in my eyes, the staff (big thumb up for the croatian lady :) had excellent reaction and moved us fast at the bar with a complimentary glass of wine.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Liked the atmosphere, the food, the staff, the wine! All was good! Outfit is casual so no need to dress yourself up, but it was still a restaurant:-)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I dined here on our last night in Zermatt. We had half board at our hotel and figured we should venture out at least one night for dinner, so we made reservations ahead of time. Definitely a good decision. We were seated immediately. The staff were friendly. We were seated next to their grill, which was more or less like sitting at the chefs table. We were able to watch as our Chateaubriand was being prepared. The steak was huge and cooked to perfection. To give you an idea about portion size, the Chateaubriand was enough for 4 servings and that included vegetables as well. They were very accommodating when making mixed drinks for us as we had a special request. The restaurant was busy and not exactly a romantic setting but the food was served in a timely fashion and there was no rush to leave.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

During my recent chalet skiing holiday there was the evening the great chalet host had the night off from cooking. The reps recommended Max Julen for an excellent steak meal and they were right. The helpful staff were friendly from the start to the end of the evening. It was a great chance to practice my German again and there was only one phrase I couldn't remember during the evening. Next time the waitress spoke to me she initially started in English but then caught herself and restarted in German again - a nice touch. The surprise was how the steak meal was presented. They carved the steak to show me to make sure it was cooked as I wished. While eating my main course I started to notice the other patrons getting a second course. Then my waitress told me she would just top up my french fries as the second half of my steak was coming shortly. She wasn't kidding, the second half of my main course arrived shortly thereafter. Great food and service throughout the evening...

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Best meat we tried last year. May be not the cheapest one, but deer was excellent!!!
Others steak were pretty good also!