“Historic estate turned into beautiful backpackers (+hotel) in the heart of Lugano!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montarina & Backpackers Hostel

You added Hotel Montarina & Backpackers Hostel to your Saves list
Hotel Montarina & Backpackers Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Via Montarina 1, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This wonderful backpackers (+hotel) was once a private sprawling estate overlooking the village of Lugano and the lake below. Located up the hill from the main train station, the grounds of the Montarina are covered in palm trees and leafy shaded pathways. The main building, an architectural beauty itself, houses several large dorm rooms with 5-10 bunk beds per room, as well as hotel rooms upstairs. A large communal dining area is available, as well as a kitchen, for those who want to cook, have a drink or play board games and meet fellow travelers. A chess game between newly met friends was going on outside on the balcony overlooking Lugano (through the palm trees), when we arrived.
The city center is just a short stroll downhill and connections with the train couldn't be better.
The price/value is incredible! A fantastic way to stay in Lugano and experience this gorgeous and exciting slice of heaven!
I will certainly be back to the Montarina!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I have been to Hotel & Hostel Montarina, Lugano in March 2009. I have booked a private backpacker room with a shared toilet. The room was small and looked like a dormatory but it was a nice experience. The toilets and bathrooms were very clean than that of hotel rooms. Above all the staff was very very friendly. I dont know the name of the manager but the lady manager was very helpful and has smile on her face everytime she talks. The area is very good and the location is just near the train station. Hotel is big enough and have a big lawn and a swimming pool. If I have been given a chance, I will stay again in this place.
If you are not concerned about the size of the room, the place is very budgeted to stay. Above all it is mostly suitable and safest for the Families and the teenager girls.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AOPL
Silver Spring, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

Unfortunately, we did not have a good experience at the Montarina. It is a lovely old inn on the exterior with a palm tree lined drive but nothing more than a hostel room - with a private bath - on the inside. The staff at the front desk and in the restaurant for breakfast (do not get brkfst at $12 swiss francs per person, it is not worth it) were unfriendly and unhelpful. Had they even remotely tried to be personable, we would have rated higher. The walk in to town is very far and all down hill which makes for a difficult return. Very thin walls - could hear the man in the room next to us snoring through the wall. Plus that it is so close to train station but also a minus that it is so close unless you are a very heavy sleeper and can sleep through the sound of a train rumbling by every 15 minutes about 30 yards away. Not worth it for the price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank TeresaB06
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I'm a bit on the fence about Montarina. For each positive, there seemed to be a negative. I stayed in an antique room in the main building. On location, conveniently located by the train station. However, it's a bit of a challenging walk uphill if you have luggage, and the train does make a lot of noise. My room had a lot of character, antique furnishings, and a nice view overlooking town. However, it was right above reception and the dining room. I would highly suggest not staying on this floor. It did get noisy. Reception was okay. Not the friendliest, not the rudest. Internet access left a lot to be desired. I would do this in town instead. One huge tip: Take the funicular to town!!! The staff did not tell me about this, and I walked far down and uphill until I realized that there was a much easier way. The weather wasn't great when was there, but the outside grounds did look very nice. I did not opt for breakfast, I bought a few things in the grocery in town. I would probably pick somewhere else to stay, I think you can find comparable in terms of value and location. Another quick tip, I realized once there how close Lugano is to Milan. It was an easy day trip via train, especially with how close the hotel is to the station.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Julie B
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

First, I have stayed both hostel and hotel"Comfort type". and I loved both of them!! Of course hotel part is way better but still the location and swimming pool with the price can't beat any other hostels. I don't recommend hostel to any older people sometime since there could be a group of school kids staying together and the number of beds in one room could bother you alot.
I loved their Comfort room. It is in the different building from reception. There is no elevator BUT it is so worth to go one floor up with your heavy luggage to get the view!! I had a room with a balcony(some don't ) and it was AMAZING!!!! Everything was so new and clearn and bed was comfortable. Although the size of the room was bit small but all you need is there so not a problem.
I would go back for sure!!!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — No elevator, No bathtub
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

This hotel/hostel is very conveniently located (by the train station) and should be considered as a great budget option for all sorts of travelers. However, you need to determine the best room option for your stay.

My wife and I were traveling with our six month old baby so we ended up reserving a “standard room” which is a double with a private bathroom for 110 Swiss Francs per night. It sounded great.

However, when we walked into our room, it was very small. Va_Hiker’s description is dead on. I know she referred to it as a “comfort room” but her review brought back the room right into focus. We were even asked if we wanted a cot for our son. I really don’t know where it would have gone as there was really no extra room!

However, I would still suggest staying at the Montarina as they have different styles of accommodation that should fit your preferences. The antique rooms, which don’t have a private bath are 10 francs less but are much larger and are very cute. They also have larger rooms with private bath as well.

In anycase, the staff there was very friendly and understanding of our situation. Unfortunately, the other double rooms were all booked so we ended having to find another place, but again, I would recommend this hotel/hostel. Just make sure you choose the appropriate accommodation!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MoreVacations:)
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

When we first checked in the woman at the desk looked somewhat worried -- we are clearly older than most of their clientèle. However, we loved our double "comfort" room. It looked newly renovated, was comfortable, and has a spectacular view across Lake Lugano. The price was about half to two-thirds of that for other hotels with its proximity to the train and downtown Lugano. The staff were efficient and helpful. The park-like grounds are wonderful. And, at least while we were there, it was wonderfully quiet in our room despite the many kids staying in the hostel.

• Liked — Quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rtmwhhmwdad