“Fantastico!”

Ranked #1 of 22 Lugano B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastico!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I arrived in the late afternoon on a Sunday after taking the Wilhelm Tell Express tour from Luzern to Lugano. Unfortunately, many things are closed on Sundays, something I did not foresee when booking my trip. As a result, it was a bit tricky trying to find a way into the hotel. I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to find a way into the hotel (all of the lights were turned off in each of the Gabbani stores), so a bit of panic set in. Then I noticed there was an intercom/door bell at the entrance to the hotel, so I rang it and sure enough it opened. I had to lug my heavy suitcase up the stairs to the lobby, but honestly, this wasn’t too bad (there’s an elevator you can use in the adjacent store when it is open).

I had expected to arrive earlier based on the times given on the Wilhelm Tell tour, but I was a few hours late. Thankfully the receptionist (Lisa, I believe), stayed behind and waited for me to arrive - she was very nice and very accommodating (as were the other members of the staff throughout my stay). I stayed in the room named “Pane” (or “Bread” in English) - very nice and super clean! Cool touch-sensitive light switches too :) It was actually an upgrade (I had originally booked a single room for 3 nights and a deluxe room for the 4th night since I was unable to get a single room for 4 nights; so they upgraded me to a deluxe room at the same rate as a single!) The room overlooked the interior of the café below, and natural light came in from the skylight/atrium above. The place was very well decorated and very clean.

In the mornings, the included breakfast was great! Croissants, fresh breads, yogurts, fruits, pastries, cappucino/americano/etc...

I really have nothing bad to say about this place. It was probably the best place I stayed at during my vacation to Switzerland! I stayed for 4 nights, and on my final night (a Wednesday) there was a gathering in the café/wine-bar below where people came to socialize and sample the food and wine. I later found out that this is a regular Wednesday social gathering - Cool! I was in my room for most of it since I had to leave early the next morning, but I liked the buzz of the crowd below. It only lasted until about 10pm, so it didn’t interfere with sleep. It is very quiet in this hotel, I should add.

There are some good restaurants around Lugano, but if you are in a rush, Gabbani has a Salumeria next door where you can get some good takeaway. Highly recommended! The hotel is central to everything in Lugano and within a 5 minute walk to the waterfront.

Also, if you need to go up to the train station, there is a funicular just outside the hotel entrance that takes you right up to the station (and vice versa). I did not know that when I arrived and took a taxi instead. If you walk from the train station with all of your bags, be prepared to walk down some steep inclines...I wouldn’t recommend arriving this way, especially if you have more than one bag or if any of your bags are heavy...

I think the only negative thing was that in order to get full signal strength on the wifi, I had to go as close to the interior window as possible. The further I moved away from the window, the wifi lost signal strength. But this really wasn’t a major problem. It was most likely due to the fact that I was on the 3rd floor while the wifi router was probably on the 1st. Again, not a huge issue. I was able to access the wifi at full strength over breakfast.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience! I would definitely book another stay here if I am ever in Lugano again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank citydwlr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Neuchatel, Switzerland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Very modern and trendy decor that is ultra comfortable... the bed was large for Switzerland and the bathroom sumptuous. Rooms have names (not numbers) and a color scheme to match the theme. Staff was very nice - location could not be better. Good breakfast - would definately stay again...

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room (window goes to an inner court yard) for absolute quiet, go for an outside ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dixon, California
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel has an ideal location for exploring Lugano. It is surrounded by very chic stores and is very close to the main piazza, Piazza de la Reforma. We enjoyed the local civic philharmonic do a wonderful performance during our stay in this piazza. One of the pieces included the music from 007. It was incredible!

Only cautionary notes on the Gabbani were the beds and pillows. Both my husband and I had difficulty sleeping. The mattress was very firm and the pillows were very soft. Tough combo for us. You also have to get used to going through the restaurant, not a real hotel lobby.

The bathroom was amazing though. A shower with three different heads and space to really move.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sweden
Reviewed August 12, 2012

An amazing hotel smack in the centre with clean, modern rooms and large bathrooms. The hotel offers small shops within and around the hotel that sells top quality cheese, cold cuts, wine and snacks. The breakfast is fresh and very nice. Very attentive staff that help you or advise you if need be.
Highly recommended and will definitely come again.

• Stayed August 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were happy to have chosen hotel Gabbani for our only night in Lugano. It is right in the middle of the city in the pedestrian area, two minutes from the lake. The hotel rooms are decorated according to food themes - we stayed in the chocolate room which is all dark brown and white. The room is very tastefully furnished and the bathroom is big and very modern. Everything was very clean and we felt comfortable.
Breakfast is served in a lovely area at the ground floor which is also a bar and a gastronomy shop. Recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Hotel Gabbani is located in the center/pedestrian zone of Lugano. Perfect if you're arriving by train. From the train station you take the city funicular (cable car) down the plaza and walk 50m to the hotel entrance. Very charming ambiance, mix of old style with completely new and modern inside. Nice and quiet and a nice walk through town brings you to the lake. Air conditioning for hot summer days. Free WiFi in the rooms. Breakfast was included and what a great breakfast it was. The most delicious fruit salad and a couple of lovely frittatas accompanied the usual breakfast buffet. We enjoyed the hotel restaurant the first night and wished we had gone back again the second night. Great food and reasonable price. Were traveling with a small child and the deluxe double room was the perfect size. Not overly large, but certainly big enough. After all, we weren't in Lugano to spend all our time in the room. The staff and service was good. We only wished we had made some purchases in the gourmet food shop next to the restaurant. It was closed on Sunday, the day we left. Will definitely go again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed in Lugano for one night and really enjoyed our stay. Hotel is conveniently located in the center of Lugano with walking distance to everything. Hotel is new and modern with the latest technology. Staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Breakfast is perfect, fresh pastry, coffee, yogurts, cheeses etc. We loved our stay and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: I recommend room with the window which overlooks the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends