“It's okay but not great”

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for two nights in July. The location is great and the hotel does have a beautiful lobby and restaurant. The staff were friendly and I gues that made up for some real deficiencies that we experienced. The gym is totally inadequate for a hotel of this calibre. In addition we could not open our sliding door to the balcony after several requests and attempts by the staff to fix the problem they advised us on our second day that we could move to another room. I appreciate things do go wrong in hotels but they would have known before checking us in that there were problems with the sliding doors and to wait 24 hours before offering to change the room is pretty ordinary service. Staying in a hotel charging 625swiss francs a night I expect more.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank markandmaria17
There are newer reviews for Hotel Splendide Royal

Reviewed July 9, 2012

a deluxe hotel that I always love to go, fantastic atmosphere , beautiful view, relaxing .
rooms are nice, clean and great dimensions, personel is very pleasent

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank doctorarny
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Very, very good old fashion service. Room was great. Recommended for some sun, swimming, good food and some shopping.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BT2008
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two wonderful nights. The hotel lobby is elegant as is the dining room. Breakfast is included and has a good selection. We stayed on the top floor that had a very small balcony that overlooks the ferry terminal.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor with the lake view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank augirl47
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have been the hotel quite some times, but this time was very special. All my previous stays were for business, this time was my first private stay with the family. I am a LHC member which probably helped, but the reception we got was beyond expectations. We were put in the presendential suite which is marvelous. We got plenty of gifts for the children, and they also had their own separate room. We of course had a great view on the lake, and a nice terrace where we could spend the evening sipping away from the Spumante offered by the hotel. All the room features were great, but those who don't like a hard bed will be disappointed.
As the weather allowed, breakfast was served outside. A superb breakfast, up to the standards of the best 5 stars out there.
Perhaps one minor note is that the hotel does look dated, especially from the outside, and especially when you look at the new part which was built in the 70ies. Whoever decided to put that building next to the magnificent old part should never build anything again. Once inside however, you quickly forget about that. Unfortunately I don't travel to Lugano that often, but it does stay one of my favorite spots in the area and beyond.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cis_Lux
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel. It was wonderful. The hotel is very well maintained and is situated just 5-7 mins walk from the main center. We like the idea of staying at a place just a little outside of the main center to avoid the noise. It is located right in front of the lake. We had a room that had a side view of the lake, but it was good enough for us because we had a balcony that allowed us to see a part of the lake. The room was nicely decorated and well maintained. There is a clear difference between well maintained old-style rooms like this as compared to the terrible ones in 5 star hotels in Rome. I am very particular about having a clean and modern bathroom. I am very happy to say that Hotel Splendid had a WONDERFUL and CLEAN bathroom. We only had breakfast in the hotel and it was really good. There was a lot of variety and the staff was great and very attentive. I highly recommend the breakfast. The only issue was that the AC was not working properly and the staff tagged our bag to the wrong person when we left it there for a couple of hours after checkout.

Overall, we had a great stay. The staff was wonderful. We will stay there again if we go back to Lugano. I would recommend it if you are staying for 1 or 2 nights. Anything more than that, I would suggest some place more affordable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim L
splendideroyal, General Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review about your recent stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I am pleased that our room and our bathroom met your expectations and that you could enjoy the hotel’s advantageous position.
As you have observed, we put very much effort in maintaining our 125 years old marble lobby and hallways, frescoes, Murano chandeliers and each original detail. On the other hand we strive to make sure that our facilities are always up to the highest standards available.
We do apologize fro the momentaneous overnight failure of the AC that our technicians were able to fix the same morning.
I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and in particular the service and friendliness of our personnel, who is constantly committed to providing the best service for our guests.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at the Hotel Splendide Royal and I remain

Yours sincerely.
Giuseppe Rossi

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The suite with lake view was spacious. Tons of old world charm translated means, the rooms are large, the bathroom is great, but some of the upholstery should be updated. Overall, very nice rooms

The staff is very professional and makes an effort to know your name.

The Hotel restaurant is terrific but pricey.

The fitness center and pool are being renovated, but guests can use the facilities at a sister hotel close by.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel Splendide Royal.
I was pleased to read that you had such a nice impression about the hotel, which preserved the style of the grand hotels of the past yet offering all modern comforts.
I was delighted to learn that you have enjoyed dining at our La Veranda restaurant, however I was quite surprised that you found it pricey, since its prices are in line with the ones of most of the other similar restaurants in the region.
We have taken good note of your observation concerning the upholstery and please be sure that we have in place a renovation program which includes the replacement of our tired upholstery.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back again at the Hotel Splendide Royal in the near future and I remain

Yours sincerely,