WINNER WONDERLAND

“Lovely, lovely hotel and they kept my shawl for me!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de la Paix

Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
“Lovely, lovely hotel and they kept my shawl for me!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Better late than never. My story will begin with a valued, beautiful large V-shaped burgundy coloured, fur-like shawl I left behind in Hotel de la Paix on a Christmas Eve evening after dining in their charming Italian restaurant (red/white tablecloth, high-back wooden chairs, wrought-iron balustrades(?) and even curtains on pretty windows!) where the Maitre D and his young team (a young lady + young man) despite being super busy, took care of us our dining needs like it was their own personal restaurant.

On this trip, the tour did put us up in nice, beautiful hotels in some Swiss towns/cities and even in UK where I moved on to.

But I remember Hotel de la Paix for how luxurious it felt the moment I stepped in - from the carpeting, sofas & upholstery, shiny varnished side tables (even a revolving door with 2 large plants on either side to make it stand out even more) and the elderly uniformed man who served us our welcome drinks. This Hotel de la Paix in Lugano simply lives up to its glorious name!! That evening unfortunately, when we checked in, the reception staff had to deal with so many in our group who were "demanding" for phone chargers. But they coped very well.

So few days after Lugano, I realised my shawl had been left behind. Over and over again, I was discouraged from getting it back: "It would have been gone by now", "Don't expect to get it back", "Don't expect anyone to be honest enough to keep it for you". Even upon returning home, I simply put away the hope of ever seeing my shawl again. But it was a special shawl, often it came back that I should have tried to get it back.

3 months long after that visit, I sent out an email - just to check if they still have it - I was ready for a negative reply, but I will just try. . First I heard from Lorena, then Alessandro, then Sonia - they were all following up on my enquiry. With such eagerness to help in the tone of their responses, I sent them a picture of the shawl, and afer a few days, they got back to me and "Yes, we'ge got it". And I thought OMG what honesty of the staff of Hotel de la Paix to keep it for so long for me to make the claim. What a fantastic impression of a hotel I have such a nice memory of.

The shawl I so valued is with me now. My special thanks to the restaurant staff who kept it for me

I want to stay in Hotel de la Paix.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights. Lovely room with all the expected sundries. Free mini- bar was re- filled every day which was a surprise but very welcome as Switzerland is very expensive. Very good breakfast. All the staff where charming especially the front desk. Location of hotel is very good, not central but only 2 minute walk to lake and then 5 minutes to the centre of town. Would come back to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room with lake view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mummy19911995
Lugano, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Been sleeping in room 210. On second floor. View on swimming pool and main busy street. Nice and comfortable bed. Free bar but not
Much in it and not been refilled. No beer for example but only soft drinks. TV channels are many from German to Arabs to Italian.
Breakfast is standard. Not extraordinary. Paid about 200 chf per night for a double. So I was expecting a higher standard.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ainz73
DirezioneDLP, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for your review. We are happy that you appreciated the position as well as the bed and the free mini bar in the room.

Unfortunately we can’t serve alcoholic drinks for free, but next time you might find a rich selection of them in our internal bar.

We hope that next time we’ll be able to show you something even more extraordinary!

Kind regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

It was very good as it just opened. The room was nice and spacious but the toilet was small. They had free drinks for customers. But when I called the reception for a water boiler they said to call the bar. So I called the bar and they said you had to go down to the bar to get it or you will need to pay 6 Franks for them to send it up here. I was like "forget it"

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

My expectations of Swiss hotels was high and I can only compare the four my husband and I stayed in on our recent trip. In that sense this was the most disappointing.
There is a slightly faded grandeur to the place - it must have been quite splendid at one time but the room was rather disappointing as it was rather dark. The hotel, however, was clean and comfortable but somehow lacked atmosphere - (perhaps it was because we were there in October), the pool was closed and the hotel was very quiet.
Breakfast was totally what might be expected, nothing memorable, but the big disappointment was the staff on reception who didn't really seem interested in answering our questions regarding the the town and in fact even gave us a map marking the location of the hotel incorrectly.
The location is a short walk to the lake but a 10 - 15 minute walk to the more lively centre of the town. Very convenient for a trip on the funicular up to San Salvatore, and a lovely town to explore.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

When one talks about high Swiss Hotel standards in terms of service and accommodation this does certainly not apply for the Hotel de La Paix in Lugano. That starts with the reception area. I arrived there with my 3 heavy luggage. Now don't think that anyone cares about it ! The bell-man in polishing the old world copper door handle and has no time to help. Well, I took a hotel trolley and pushed it myself to my room. But I got nice smile form the front desk lady.
Rooms well, max 3* . The bed is ok but just ok. Same goes for the bathroom. Rooms are small.
Hotel staff is mainly absent. Don't ask too much. They will honor it with this "what-do-you-want-again" attitude but finally do it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelInside
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Recent four day visit to Lugano brought us to this recommend hotel. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice hotel in the area. Full service with breakfast lunch and dinner options but to me the Staff was outstanding. From the front desk to the breakfast buffet to our Lake Como "friend" behind the bar, all were beyond helpful. Looks like the hotel is in an upgrade mode of the rooms. Nothing bothersome and we were lucky enough to get one. Hope you like hard beds because they are extra firm!

• Stayed November 2013