“Outstanding hotel & service”

Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Port Townsend, Washington
“Outstanding hotel & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I'm here to tell you all that this hotel should not EVER be a person's second choice in Lugano, but their FIRST!
Every hotel in the world could take lessons from Hotel Dante...to start, I arrived 3 hrs before check-in and only wanted to park my suitcase, but they checked me right into my room.
This hotel is in the heart of shopping & cafes & just a short walk to the lake & promenade. Trust me, you won't miss a view of the lake although I give it one point less for this small imperfection. It's a beautiful hotel and my room was spotlessly clean, roomy & deliciously comfortable. They actually allow guests to custom prepare their rooms before they arrive, right down to room temperature & toilet paper!! There were gifts in my room (I treasure my rubber ducky), an afternoon treat, a full breakfast buffet and service beyond compare. I spent three weeks in Switzerland, but my short time in Lugano was the highlight because of Hotel Dante and it's remarkable staff. As an older woman traveling alone, its such a pleasure to feel you are being treated as kindly and as well as the businessman on an expense account.
Thank you Hotel Dante! I'll not forget you.

Room Tip: Their "view" rooms look out on the main Plaza. It's pedestrian only, so no traffic noi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 58687Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We traveled round Europe staying at some great hotels but this was simply the friendliest and despite a few watch outs the best we stayed at.

From the moment we booked the service was excellent with several personalized emails that made me confident it was a good choice. The Hotel is at the bottom small funicular railway from the station into Lugano centre so is exceptionally convenient from the train. The funicular is so close to the station we almost missed it by going outside!

All the staff throughout the hotel were friendly and made a point of greeting you. I realise it is how they are trained, but it seemed very genuine. The breakfast was well organised and had lots of choice, my favourite was the hot melted chocolate for breakfast, a weakness of long standing. The room was comfortable but not large and the bathroom well appointed. We liked the little touches and the thought that had gone in.

The only think to watch out for was the pasta night, don't be expecting much more that pasta on plate served in the lobby. The pesto pasta was poor by any standards and to be almost in Italy was doubly disappointing. They could do it so well with a couple of different local pastas and some tasting notes but it was just a choice of two pasta in the seats by the reception. If you are going to run events do them well or not at all. When I mentioned it to the desk the next day they took it well, apologised and made me feel listened to which was all I wanted.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Trikala, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed for 5 whole days in this hotel and all I have to say is that it's a SUPERB place to stay. It maybe lacks great lake views but it has a very convinient position in the heart of the old town, in beautiful piazza Cioccaro, just 3 min walk from the lake and with the funicular to the train station just outside its door. But what it lacks in views it gains in EVERY other aspect. Clean rooms, perfect room service, free soft drinks from mni bar, every amenity you could wish in your disposal and above all a wonderful, friendly staff which tries (and succeeds) to make guests' living easier and more comfortable. Hotel has its own (hi-tech) car park, so nothing to worry about parking. Plus of all other a really FANTASTIC breakfast we'll remember for long time with lots of fresh food and some quite unprecedented surprises (hot white chocolate and thick mocca milk-shake).
If you can afford its HIGH price, give yourself the experience of a Hotel-Paradise.

PS And, because no one is perfect, just 2 remarks:
one day we returned at 15.00 and the room hadn't been cleaned. They apologized, offered us some drink in the lobby and in 30 min, the room was ready
Air conditioning needs some serious upgrade as it's not fully adjustable from the room control panel and seems to work only in a somehow on-off mode.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Usually, I tend to chose more upscale/luxury hotel, but thanks to all the good reviews on TripAdvisor about this hotel, we decided to stay for few nights at the Lugano Dante hotel.
FANTASTIC choice!
The staff is indeed BRILLIANT!
The staff is what makes this hotel so good!
The hotel itself is comfortable, very clean and very well-located, but certainly not pretty, and no special view.
But we loved it! The staff is so friendly and helpful. Do not hesitate to ask them where to eat : they advised us 2 great places (Cucina di Alice, and Grotto Antico in Bioggio).
Breakfast was VERY good - lots of choices (though in a slightly dark room - only thing I would change in this hotel).
If we go back to Lugano, we will definitely stay in this hotel again.

NB: the hotel doesn't have a restaurant (but plenty of good restaurants around).
And if you come with a car, do have a look at their parking system - quite extraordinary. Simply brilliant!

• Stayed July 2013
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights,and enjoyed our visit. The hotel was clean, and the staff was a friendly as any I've encountered in Europe. We arrived by buy from Lake Como, and the hotel was a 20 minute walk from the bus-stop, made easier with Google Maps on an iPhone. If you arrive by rail, it literally is a funicular ride down the hill to the hotel. Very close to shopping, the lake and some fine restaurants, this hotel is expensive but still a good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is the most service oriented hotel I have ever stayed in. They anticipate your every need. They offer you one free beverage or ice cream when you come. I got ice cream for my son, but the lady offered me some as well. They have coffee and rolls in the lobby as well as candy to snack on. When we went to check out they asked if we would like snacks for the road. They gave us some water as well. The location is great. The air conditioning could be a little stronger other than that, the hotel is perfection

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This was the first hotel we stayed in on our Switzerland trip. The problem with this was that all the following hotels we stayed in paled into insignificance.
The best things about the hotel were;
The location - just a few minutes walk to the lake and shops
The breakfast - words can't explain how plentiful and tasty it was.
The service - All the staff were so friendly and helpful. Staff regularly gave toys to my young son.
The only downside was that the room was small and there wasn't a view.
I would most certainly stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013