“A wonderful stay”

Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent the last week in the Dante and loved it. The staff was incredibly friendly and welcoming and the service was immaculate. If you want to spend some relaxing and enjoyable days in the middle of Lugano, this is the place to go.
You can customize your room, I'm especially fond of the pillow choice since most hotels only offer those horrible fluffy things I can't sleep well on - I'm sure you'll find something that fits you. The minibar is free and filled up regularly.
The choices at breakfast leave everyone satisfied I believe (fresh fruit, yoghurt, a huge selection of bread, sweet and salty bits - whatever you like) and don't be afraid to ask for an espresso, they will be glad to help you.
Not the cheapest hotel of course but worth ever bit we spent. Especially the staff, be it the front of house, the chambermaids or the maintenance workers made the stay a lovely experience!

They were doing some maintenance work in the hotel while we were there and managed to have it organised in a way such that it didn't bother us at all, no hour long drilling noises etc. I don't know how they did it, but it was astounding how little you can notice a construction site!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel with our two small children and loved it! Perfect - no other way to describe it. Not a chain-type hotel without personality - this hotel is special. Lots of charm and considerable attention paid to every detail of the stay. Awesome location right in the middle of the old city and just a few steps to the funicular. Parking garage attached to the hotel. Toys, books, games, etc in the lobby for kids to enjoy. The room was stocked with complimentary beverages in the fridge, really nice bath products and even a box of chocolates on the bed upon arrival! The room is absolutely silent - when they say soundproof, they mean it. Comfy bed & pillows, plenty of plump towels and they even left a stuffed animal and a rubber ducky in the room for our kiddos. Brunch is a dream - a lavish array of offerings with American style offerings too. The fresh squeezed juices and hot chocolate were delicious. Service cannot be beat - you will be treated like royalty. Warm greetings every time you come and go, they recall your name, offer assistance, etc. Our 5 year old wanted to know when we could go back! Just can't say enough about how much this hotel and the experience they provided us added to our trip to Lugano.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Going to Lugano for a weekend my partner wanted a hotel with a pool but the only ones left were in Paradiso and that was too far to walk. So without telling her I booked this one based on the reviews I read.

On arrival we were greeted with sweets and brownies while we waited to be checked-in. Without being told the receptionist greeted me by name. I still don't know how! And all this set the tone for the stay. The room was a reasonable size and nicely furnished. The shower had some power which is a change I must say. The drinks in the mini-bar were free. The toiletries were not like testers but a reasonable size. Everything that should work did work. There was a free treat for us in the room. So she started to be won over.

The next morning the breakfast offered plenty of choice, no bacon but plenty of other things. We even received a lovely fresh crepe when we asked for it. The coffee we ordered was superb espresso and cappucino. Everything was as you would want to see it.

The hotel is very easy to reach from the railway station being at the end of the funicular and perfect for the town being in the middle of the shopping area and a very short walk to the lake. The staff are outstanding being friendly and professional but also being personal - you are not just another guest...

If you have the choice and you want to have a relaxing time in Lugano then this is where you stay. Don't bother paying more to be let down just book in here.

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room category and that was simply fine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Icsrkh
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I spent 3 days at the Hotel Dante and would gladly go back if I had the opportunity, in fact I would not want to go anywhere else if I went to Lugano. To start with, the funicular from the station lands you almost on the hotel doorstep. This was a big help as at 78 I am finding it difficult to manage my luggage. From the moment I stepped through the door I was warmly welcomed and made to feel that nothing would be too much trouble, and then escorted to my room. Everything was spotlessly clean and I was impressed with the generous provision of lovely toiletries in the bathroom. Then another surprise- not just a chocolate on the pillow, but a whole box of chocolates on the bed! A further delight was the Happy Hour - between 6-8pm, buy a drink and help yourself to a wonderful mini buffet on the bar - different each night. Perhaps the highlight of my stay was the fantastic breakfast buffet - impossible to do full justice to it - out of this world. Thank you very much to everyone at the Dante for this lovely experience.

Room Tip: I had a basic (Quality) room and it felt like luxury!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Audrey G
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were a group of six, staying for 8 nights in Lugano in July.
Location was key as we had 2 ladies in their mid-eighties who couldn't walk far. The Hotel Dante is a short funicular ride from the train station, in the middle of Lugano and close to the lake.
Quality of service was also key, since after much business travel my brother especially tends to be very critical about hotels with poor service. All the Staff at the Hotel Dante always had a smile, always did what they said they would do and nothing was too much trouble. My brother concluded this was the best Hotel of its class that he'd ever stayed in.
The rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated and easily accessible. The on-line menu allows you to configure temperature, what you want in your mini bar, pillow types etc before you arrive. Everything was done to make us comfortable.
The breakfast was excellent with lots to choose from including high quality fresh fruit and white or dark hot toblerone chocolate to drink (this is Switzerland after all). Chocolates and snacks were everywhere, just adding to the homeliness.
This was an absolute perfect stay for all of us. Not cheap but easily worth the money. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank martinru
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I noticed that the hotel has a plaque that showed that they won Tripadvisor number 1 choice. Was pleasantly surprised to know they had a free minibar and commented to counter staff that perhaps they won because of the free minibar... When I got into the room, we had customised messages...chocolates.... A cute duckling in my sink that made me laugh. Its really the little things that make this hotel different. Location perfect!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Switzerland, 3 days of which we spent in Lugano. The hotel Dante is extremely convenient to the train station (think hauling luggage) and only a 5 minute walk to the lakefront. We opted for a junior suite which was not much more than the deluxe room. Best room we had in Switzerland. Great AC...huge bathroom...and plenty of space. No view but the room was extremely quiet which we much needed. Had a view of the Matterhorn in Zermatt but the outdoor patio was below our room and we needed ear plugs to sleep at night. The breakfast is wonderful and there is something for everyone. Staff is extremely helpful and easy to deal with. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple