“Lugano City Center”

Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was my third visit to the Dante in Lugano. I first tried it because it was highly rated,less expensive than the hotel I used to stay at and conveniently located in the city center. While the other hotel has larger and perhaps nicer rooms, this one makes up for it in effort. The staff are all friendly and try to be helpful, the rooms are clean and well maintained (this is Switzerland after all) and perhaps most importantly, you don't feel that you are being nickeled and dimed to death every time you turn around - the wifi in the rooms is free as is the breakfast buffet and the nespresso coffee in the lobby, along with various sweets should you be so inclined. They refer to it as your home away from home, but at least at my home, things don't run as smoothly!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BJ157

Reviewed September 3, 2012

From the minute we made the booking, we knew that this hotel was a little special. Communications were great, right down to the text on the monring of arrival offering help if we needed it. Staff were attentive and very cheery, always a 'hello', wherever we met them.

We had a suite, and whilst not the biggest in the world, we were very comfortable and it spotlessly clean and well maintained. Sound proofing is also very good ensuring a restful night sleep. The air con struggled a little but that we probably down to exceptional weather in August when we stayed. Little touches again make the difference. If we had one niggle, its the hand towels. 6" from the side and above the toilet so they get sprayed eveytime you flush. We didnt use them.

Breakfast has to be seen to be believed. All fresh ingredients, juciers (including carrot) and a whole range of breads, cakes, pastries, fruit, yogurt and hot drinks, including hot chocolate made from cocolate bars. superb.

The house and General manager should be very proud. A cracking hotel right in the centre of town.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

While Lugano Dante Hotel isn't a five star note; they make up for it in service. It is conveniently located in the center of town and employs friendly staff who strive to make your stay enjoyable. A massive included breakfast each morning has something for everyone. Free candy sits at the front desk. There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel and the mini bar (soda/water) is completely free in your room.

I stayed only one night and this trip was for business. My room (304) was extremely small with a twin bed but it was not too concerning as it was just an overnight trip. The room itself, while small, had everything you needed. You could tell the bathrooms had been remodeled and where spotlessly clean.

If I returned to Lugano I would definitely stay here again. I liked the friendly service with a smile and all the little extra touches that the hotel offered to make you experience pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Spent 3 nights in Lugano Dante with my family, I would surely recommend this hotel. Fantastic location , the breakfast is amazing with such a variety. The rooms are spotless , beds are so comfortable the staff are very friendly and helpful. In general we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Melbournekoala
Reviewed August 27, 2012

After several stays at other hotels in Lugano, we decided to try the Hotel Dante based on its good TA reviews and proximity to the funicular from/to the train station. I stayed with a friend and co-worker. Before booking, I wrote to the hotel and asked if by any chance our company had a corporate rate with them. The hotel quickly responded that alas, no corporate rate but suggested booking via the pre-paid rate, which offered a 12% discount. We reserved our room that way, paying 291 Swiss francs for a classic twin-bed room.

As soon as we entered the hotel, we felt we'd made the right choice. We received a warm welcome and were quickly checked in. Our room (212) was compact, but certainly spacious enough for two people on a short trip. Everything was clean and in perfect working order. The beds were extremely comfortable and there were three good size pillows for each of us (this was much appreciated as so many hotels, even four-star hotels skimp on pillows). The room overlooked, well, nothing, but that didn't matter. The shower (no tub) had a rain showerhead (which I loathe) but fortunately also had a regular European showerhead and you didn't have to use the rain shower. Free mini-bar.

After a good night's sleep, we enjoyed the superb breakfast spread. Everything you could think of (ok, no bacon, only sausages, but that's very minor). I had cappuccino but was sorely tempted by the luscious white and dark hot chocolate fountains. Side note: there are bowls of free candy set out by the reception and entrance to the breakfast room.

Check-out also was smooth and friendly and I was given a log-in for future trips (with a 10 percent discount for booking via the personal log-in).

We had asked the hotel to book us a taxi to Foxtown. The taxi arrived on the dot, with a friendly driver behind the wheel of a late-model Mercedes. (He charged 80 francs each way, not cheap but worth it.) All in all, we had a great experience and I will definitely stay at the Hotel Dante again (I travel to Lugano a few times a year).

Only negatives: few (or perhaps none) of the rooms have lake views. That's a shame given how beautiful the view of the lake is. And if I could make two suggestions: one, upgrade the breakfast room chairs. They look and feel like run of the mill chain hotel meeting room chairs. A small point and VERY far from a deal-breaker, they're just not up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. Two, add an electrical outlet above the nightstand (between the beds). My friend and I each needed to charge our mobile phones. The outlet above the desk could, in theory, take multiple plugs but NOT if someone was using an adapter (the adapter blocked access). My colleague had to charge her phone in the bathroom, not the best arrangement for two people who needed to check messages overnight.

All in all, a very good stay and we both hope to stay with the Dante again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BaselTourmaline123
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We only stayed here one night, but how I wish we had been here longer. The room was large and comfortable with free mini-bar, tea and coffee facilities, air-con, an amazing 'rain shower' and PLASTIC DUCKS in the sink!!!

Breakfast was out of this world - we were stunned by the vast choice. I'm not sure about salad and cake for breakfast, but it was there! The lobby are had a tea and coffee area and there were snacks freely available - including sweeties on the check-in desk!

When we checked out I commented on the ducks, and when asked if i had taken them, I said 'No' I was told to go back to the room and get them as they were for us to take!

The hotel was incredibly easy to find if you came by train and took the funicular railway down the hill. It stopped almost outside the door.

The whole experience here was amazing. Well done Dante Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent August 1-6 at this delightful hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking first class accommodations in Lugano. Our room was surgically clean, the breakfast buffet is one of the best we have ever enjoyed anywhere and the staff could not have been nicer or more gracious.

Three items bear special mention: Prior to checking in, we sent a request to management to have flowers sent to the home of a nearby resident who was going to be hosting us for dinner during our visit. The bouquet sent was gorgeous and abundant and the request was handled without a hitch. Second, we ordered cakes for a birthday celebration from a bakery around the corner from the hotel--Grand Cafe' al Porto, offering beautiful, simply delicious baked goods and well worth a visit--and arranged to pick them up the following day, or so we thought. We misunderstood that they would be closed on Sunday, but all was well Saturday evening when we returned to the Dante and found that the bakery had thoughtfully delivered our order to the hotel which, in turn, paid our bill and stored our desserts in their refrigerator. Finally, we decided to ship some items home to lighten up our luggage. The Dante made all the arrangements with DHL which came to the lobby to pick up our package. We sent the items off on a Monday and they were at our home in the US by Wednesday. Clearly, the management and staff at this fine establishment understand how to deliver high quality customer service and are to be commended. We had a great time in Lugano and our experience at the Dante is one of the reasons why. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the lobby is filled with snacks all day long that change with the time of day!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family