“If you can, find another hotel in Lugano” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Eden

Grand Hotel Eden
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Dublin
“If you can, find another hotel in Lugano”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I am amazed by some of the good reviews that this hotel has received in Trip advisor.
I have been staying at this hotel for ten years now as it is a hotel I have to use through business and I stay several times every year yet every time I arrive there they ask me whether this is my first time staying with the hotel! Then usually they are unable to find my booking or have the number of nights wrong and even when I show them my e mail reservation they will still claim they had not got the booking, particularly the older man who mans reception.
The rooms on the city side are decorated in bizarre silver/snakeskiin style and even though the lake side rooms are more peacesful they are still not furnished to 5 star standards. Though most of their guests seem to be english speaking they only have CNN and BBC World as English TV channels and no radio channels. In summer it is possible to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful lake views (and there is no doubt that the hotel is in a wonderful location) but in winter there is no general lounge areas for guests to enjoy, only at reception and the rather seedy bar.
Staff are singularly unhelpful and often rude except for Giorgio who seems to look after the pool area and Linda, the really great masseuse.
Breakfast is good and served in a room which again has fabulous views but otherwise the food is average and greatly overpriced. If you are ordering room service it is not possible to get just a glass of wine, only a bottle....incredible.
If you can, avoid this hotel and if you have a little more money or the choice try its sister hotel, the Splendide, which also overlooks the lake and is a world apart from the Eden in terms of surroundings and staff

Room Tip: Try the more expensive lake side rooms as more peaceful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel with a beautiful location, right on the lake Lugano. It was the most amazing hotel we have ever stayed in for a restful and relaxing holiday in Switzerland. The rooms we stayed in overlooking the lake had stunning views.The service was excellent. The staff (particularly the concierge and front desk) were extraordinarily accommodating, helpful, friendly and polite. They extremely knowledgeable of the surrounding areas and gave us great help selecting and scheduling places of interest to visit. Boats trips can be boarded from the pontoon just in front of the hotel and the most landmarks are within a short walk.
In short; I and family members wouldn't hesitate to book a stay at the Grand Hotel Eden again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kfhaimed
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing such a nice review about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden with other travellers.
I am glad you could experience the friendliness of our staff, the quality of our service and enjoy the beautiful views from your room, which are always one of the highlights of our guests’ experience.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again in one of your future visits to Lugano.

Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel has a great view and a great situation on the lake, but to be honest for this category of price I would not say it is 5 stars but rather 4. The hotel rooms and the lobby are really 80's looking and overall the EDEN hotel building looks rather 80's style. This is a shame because the services in the hotel are very good: the staff is just perfect, and the location is the best in Lugano in my opinion! But renovating the hotel in a more modern way could give this extra touch that makes your stay unbelievable. And another tip: no free WIFI in such a hotel is unacceptable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and for your review. I am very pleased to read that enjoyed our services, location and furthermore that you appreciated all the efforts that our staff does in order to exceed our guest’s expectations.

With regards to our free Wi-Fi offer, I can only say that I have reviewed all recent comments related to this service and I have decided to change our basic offer to a 24 hours free Wi-Fi connection for all our guests.

Together with my team, I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden on a future occasion.

Alicante, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for five nights in March 2013, I could only afford it for that long because they had a special offer on. I would NEVER pay CHF 500 and up for a room, which is their normal rate. While the view was absolutely spectacular, the room was beyond old. Everything in it looked like it had been bought in the 1970s/80s. The bed was uncomfortable and the door in the bathroom's wood was actually peeling. Their was the obvious free soaps and maid service everyday which was excellent. The breakfast was very good but most of the staff, while polite, really looked like they didn't want to be there.My biggest complaint was WIFI!! When I asked for Internet they brought me a cable to plug into the phone! And you can only have 1 hour free Wifi at a time, the rest you need to pay for. This might have been a 5 star hotel in 1980, but not anymore.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden and for your personal review.

I read your observations and I am very sorry that except for the view from your room and the maid service, your overall experience in our hotel didn’t meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you especially for the bed uncomfortableness and the staff attitude at breakfast. I will take your review to their attention and I thank you for your assessment.

I am sorry for the bathroom's door condition which has been already refurbished after your signalization.

With regards to our Wifi service, we are actually offering a basic service which is of 1 hour per day and a premium service based on a premium connection available at a cost for unlimited time. Beside this offer we have also an extended free wifi zone that covers all our public areas and where all our guests can connect for free and for unlimited time. It is a shame that you did not used this offered service.

I thank you for your comments and I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you the Grand Hotel Eden in the future,

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife Lynette and I had a blast here - we swam in the lake - took midnight strolls while drinking whiskey - wow - what a great place. I would certainly go back and look forward to another great stay

The staff are awesome and so is the spa!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent review about your stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.

We much look forward to welcome you in the future for another great stay!

Best regards

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

the hotel is right by the lake, with view to the Alpes and Lugano city centre (15mn walk). the room we had was 5 stars, as expected...apart from all basic stuff you expect to have in a good hotel, the small terrace with view to the lake/alpes was surely a plus. It looks like all rooms have +/- same view. The restaurant also has the view, and the breakfast was delicious and various. Very nice staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.

I am very pleased that you could enjoy the view from your room balcony and also our buffet breakfast which offers a wide selection of specialties and many delicacies prepared by our Pastry Chef every day.

Indeed I look forward to welcome you back in a near future here at the Grand Hotel Eden.

Best regards,

Mickleton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was great. I loved the balcony. It was very private and big. The view was stunning! I also thought bathrooms in Europe were supposed to be small. This one was large and beautiful. The room was so nice. This is what I imagined Switzerland to look like at the start of our vacation. This area was close to Italy so we went there too.

Stayed July 2012
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor community your nice review about your stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our Hotel and especially the view from your room balcony which is indeed a plus compared to similar hotels in the region.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in one of your future visits to Lugano.