“Great view but the hotel could be refreshed!”
Review of Grand Hotel Eden

Grand Hotel Eden
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Lugano
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Great view but the hotel could be refreshed!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel has a great view and a great situation on the lake, but to be honest for this category of price I would not say it is 5 stars but rather 4. The hotel rooms and the lobby are really 80's looking and overall the EDEN hotel building looks rather 80's style. This is a shame because the services in the hotel are very good: the staff is just perfect, and the location is the best in Lugano in my opinion! But renovating the hotel in a more modern way could give this extra touch that makes your stay unbelievable. And another tip: no free WIFI in such a hotel is unacceptable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and for your review. I am very pleased to read that enjoyed our services, location and furthermore that you appreciated all the efforts that our staff does in order to exceed our guest’s expectations.

With regards to our free Wi-Fi offer, I can only say that I have reviewed all recent comments related to this service and I have decided to change our basic offer to a 24 hours free Wi-Fi connection for all our guests.

Together with my team, I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden on a future occasion.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for five nights in March 2013, I could only afford it for that long because they had a special offer on. I would NEVER pay CHF 500 and up for a room, which is their normal rate. While the view was absolutely spectacular, the room was beyond old. Everything in it looked like it had been bought in the 1970s/80s. The bed was uncomfortable and the door in the bathroom's wood was actually peeling. Their was the obvious free soaps and maid service everyday which was excellent. The breakfast was very good but most of the staff, while polite, really looked like they didn't want to be there.My biggest complaint was WIFI!! When I asked for Internet they brought me a cable to plug into the phone! And you can only have 1 hour free Wifi at a time, the rest you need to pay for. This might have been a 5 star hotel in 1980, but not anymore.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden and for your personal review.

I read your observations and I am very sorry that except for the view from your room and the maid service, your overall experience in our hotel didn’t meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you especially for the bed uncomfortableness and the staff attitude at breakfast. I will take your review to their attention and I thank you for your assessment.

I am sorry for the bathroom's door condition which has been already refurbished after your signalization.

With regards to our Wifi service, we are actually offering a basic service which is of 1 hour per day and a premium service based on a premium connection available at a cost for unlimited time. Beside this offer we have also an extended free wifi zone that covers all our public areas and where all our guests can connect for free and for unlimited time. It is a shame that you did not used this offered service.

I thank you for your comments and I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you the Grand Hotel Eden in the future,

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife Lynette and I had a blast here - we swam in the lake - took midnight strolls while drinking whiskey - wow - what a great place. I would certainly go back and look forward to another great stay

The staff are awesome and so is the spa!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent review about your stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.

We much look forward to welcome you in the future for another great stay!

Best regards

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

the hotel is right by the lake, with view to the Alpes and Lugano city centre (15mn walk). the room we had was 5 stars, as expected...apart from all basic stuff you expect to have in a good hotel, the small terrace with view to the lake/alpes was surely a plus. It looks like all rooms have +/- same view. The restaurant also has the view, and the breakfast was delicious and various. Very nice staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.

I am very pleased that you could enjoy the view from your room balcony and also our buffet breakfast which offers a wide selection of specialties and many delicacies prepared by our Pastry Chef every day.

Indeed I look forward to welcome you back in a near future here at the Grand Hotel Eden.

Best regards,

Mickleton, New Jersey
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was great. I loved the balcony. It was very private and big. The view was stunning! I also thought bathrooms in Europe were supposed to be small. This one was large and beautiful. The room was so nice. This is what I imagined Switzerland to look like at the start of our vacation. This area was close to Italy so we went there too.

Stayed July 2012
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor community your nice review about your stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our Hotel and especially the view from your room balcony which is indeed a plus compared to similar hotels in the region.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in one of your future visits to Lugano.

Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here as part of a group and were treated as if we were royalty. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The location is terrific- directly on the lake and yet quiet as it is a 15-20 minute walk to "downtown" Lugano. You feel as if you are in a residential area, because you are!
The rooms are good sized and most have a terrace that faces the lake. The furniture is a bit baroque for Switzerland, but interesting to look at.
One odd thing is that you must walk a bit to the dining room as it is on the other side of the street! You don't have to cross the street outside as there is a walkway, but it is up and down stairs. The food at breakfast was plentiful and the view out the windows is stunning.
All in all, it is a great place to stay when in Lugano.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive and kind remarks about your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden. I am delighted to read that you loved the location of the Hotel which is quite unique in the region and also that you enjoyed in particular the service and friendliness of our personnel, who is constantly committed to providing the best experience for our guests.

We look forward to your return to stay with us in the future.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Well located near the lake promenade with a stunning view from the breakfast room and your own room if you are lucky. Apart from that, there is nothing special about this hotel with the old-fashioned décor.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Da_rt_1717
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the view from the breakfast room and your room but are sorry that the décor is not in-line with your expectations.

Regards,