“Dont' go there !” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
Toronto
“Dont' go there !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2009

Disappointing on all aspects. Poor service, tiny, smelly, very cold rooms. You can barely open a medium suitcase and walk around it in the rooms. The heating is turned off at night - in December ! Pretty noisy. Food is OK, however, nothing like a 4 trident should be.
All personnel gives you attitude for any request... Long line-ups for basically anything: from getting the room, the ski pass or a restaurant booking. Unwilling, un-knowledgeable personnel. Not enough parking. Wi-Fi Internet is unreliable, sauna and swimming pool were overcrowded.
Beware of another scam: getting the ski pass you pay 5 EUR deposit - returning it you get 5 CHF !!.... This sums it all. Good luck trying to straiten things up.
There was no ski bus to go to slopes, we were lucky it's not too far from Corviglia.
Overall a disappointment, from the conditions point of view. However, Saint Moritz is a great place, ski was generally good. Next time, we will just look at another place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank razimih

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Buckinghamshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

Yes its posh, luxurious and lives up to the st moritz image but there is another side...
The good - Clean modern rooms with great views, excellent apres ski centred around the lounge/bar area and great food. The manager was more like a game show host and loved getting involved with the shows. We didn't come on the transfer as a late booking so hired a car and drove up - not a problem. (The drive back in a dark blizzard was kind of scary though). Nice welcome from the manager upon arrival. Pleased with rooms and looked forward to getting the kids into kidsclub and ourselves onto the piste. Skiing was lovely and we made some nice friends. Lots of mountains to discover with our Swiss ski host.
The Bad - Amazed at how chaotic and random the kids club procedure was and this really let the resort down. Felt like it was playtime at school. Each day we had to get up early, gulp our breakfasts, fight to get the kids kitted up and into their ski group (12 per group - more on this later), then had a short time to sort ourselves out before joining our group outside the hotel. Than a looong and icy walk to the ski lift (knackering!) even though there was a minibus. Picked up the kids at the end of the day and learnt to queue early to get a seat in the restaurant as the tables filled rapidly.
The ugly - My daughter fell during her "lesson" and had a swollen knee so was out for 4 days along with me or the wife. I felt so guilty. I should have realised from the unreasonably large ski class run by the seemingly inexperienced group leaders that it was too much for the little ones. Apparantly my daughter was out of her depth but this was not picked up by the ski leader who used to ski to the bottom of the hill and wait for the kids. My two said there was no teaching and have regressed in their skiing.
Also looking out of my hotel room I saw a number of the younger children on their sleds behind the hotel. They were unsupervised and once whilst getting something from my car I watched one little girl return to the hotel by herself, dump her sledge, and carry on to the kids room. Wonder if her parents knew what she had been up to after having booked her into the kids club? Its nice for children to have some freedom but the hotel is not that secure.
I accept my view is coloured by what happened by I feel things could have been better managed. If its busy, get more staff. Sort out chaotic procedures and help the parents to get the children ready like MarkWarner does. For what I paid I don't think that's too much to ask. Unfortunately I suspect a lot of the budget goes on the shows.
The resort offers a flavour of St Moritz for a reasonable price (considering) but I would only recommend it to families with more grown up children/teenagers or young couples with some dough.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

My husband and I wanted a different type of honeymoon and we had heard wonderful things about Switzerland. We booked a week-long stay at the St. Moritz ClubMed and were very excited about some skiing along with some quiet relaxation. We got to St. Moritz and it turned out to be horrible. The bus service that is supposed to take you to the "resort" dropped us off at the bottom of a hill and we had to drag all our luggage and ski gear behind us for the 15 minute walk to the front door.

Upon getting in the hotel, we were greeted with utter madness. The front desk was completely disorganized, and children were running around yelling and unsupervised. We were finally showed to our room which was completely misrepresented in the brochures we'd seen - VERY basic with two twin beds -- on our honeymoon! When we asked if they had any rooms with double beds, we were told no and that WE would just have to push the beds together. The staff was completely unhelpful.

Trying to put this behind us, we went down to check out the situation for ski rentals. We were told that in order to rent gear, we had to sign up for group lessons and meet with an instructor at such-and-such time. My husband and I have been skiers since childhood - the last thing we needed was ski lessons. After being told we'd have to just rent gear from a shop in town if we were going to forego the lessons, we decided to try one of their "restaurants" to get a bite to eat. Simply put, I had better food in my college dorm. The room was set up like a buffet, the smell was awful, and the food looked like it had been sitting out for 2 days.

After eating maybe 2 bites of some unidentifiable pudding, we figured, lets just go relax in the hot tub of the spa that the advertising brochures RAVED about. So we go down to the spa, and there is no hot tub - there is only one small indoor pool and its overloaded with kids. So we decided to just go back to our room for some peace and quiet. Ha. Our room happened to be right outside the elevator, and the walls were so thin all we heard were people coming and going - we could even hear the conversations of the people in the rooms adjacent to ours.

So after the horrendous first 5 hours of our stay at the St. Moritz ClubMed, we contacted our travel agent and told her to arrange a rental car for us to pick up the next day. We went to bed, knowing we would be leaving in the morning. To top it all off, around 1am someone bangs on our door, and they announce its Housekeeping. We yell that its 1am and we didn't order any housekeeping! They insist we open the door and we're presented with a bottle of champagne on ice - like this IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT is supposed to make up for everything else.

The experience was absolutely awful. We filed a claim and have been given $2700 credit we can use at any other ClubMed, but I have such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't know if we'll ever put it to use.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bagheera13
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

I'm highly shocked at some of the reviews posted on this website, i totally disagree with the reviews saying how horrible "St Moritz" is. It was my first visit there, and i thought the whole atmosphere and my stay was amazing, the skiing was top notch, and i was able to spend my evenings socialising. The food was amazing, and a wide range. I'd defointally be re-visiting St Mortiz, and is most likely the most amazing ski resort i've ever visisted.

2 Thank harrietjustharriet
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

We were met off our flight by a taxi driver who drove us to St Moritz via the scenic Julierpass. The journey from Zurich took 3.5 hours, largely because of a huge traffic jam in the city. The manager came outside to greet arrivals - he was a very visible presence throughout the holiday (at the entrance to the restaurant, in the shows, at ski-school departure in the morning....) and made a real effort to welcome everyone.

Check in was much improved from last year. We were given two clean and comfortable adjacent rooms with a view of the mini-ski school and mountains. Queues for ski-hire and ski-school can be avoided by picking your time (and in the case of the ski-school desk, watching from the bar).

We skied at Corviglia, booking lunch tickets the night before, and leaving our boots and skis in the bottom station of the Signal cable car, which is a 7 minute stroll from the hotel - we timed ourselves! The Club minibus operated in the morning and afternoon for those who didn't feel like walking. Corviglia is sunny and varied and there is plenty of scope for six days' skiing just on the one side of the valley. Our teenage children joined classes and were placed with others of similar age and ability in English speaking groups. They explored the whole area. The mountain restaurant on Corviglia had both a salad buffet and a hot buffet; although at times it was busy (particularly on a snowy day) it was actually a lot less crowded than many public mountain restaurants we have visited in Switzerland , and some of the dishes were excellent.

The main restaurant is large and rather noisy, but we found the food generally very good. We found plenty to choose from, apart from the evening we tried the Italian restaurant where the selection was rather limited. The selection at breakfast was also good with freshly sliced oranges and grapefruit to compensated for the watery fruit juice, fresh eggs, breads, pancakes are more.

We did attend some of the shows, and found them entertaining. Of course, the performers are not professional actors or singers, and it was necessary to take the entertainment in the spirit it was offered.

Overall, the Club Med package - which includes ski passes, ski tuition or guiding, all meals and drinks - is excellent value, and this should be set against any minor niggles.

3 Thank Family152
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

We were really looking forward to this holiday. We have been to Club Med before and had a wonderful time. Unfortuately this time we had a very bad experience.

On arrival at the hotel we were give the key to our room and then told we had to subscribe the kids to the miniclub and go and pick up our ski rentals. We first went to the miniclub where we found complete chaos. Under staffed and zero communication! All the parents were complaining, the kids were restless and we were all left waiting for 2 hours to subscribe our kids to the miniclub. It felt like it was the miniclub staff first day and they didnt quite know what to do.

We then went to the ski service to collect our ski gear and that was just as chaotic. Under Staffed and a real nightmare with long queues and a 1hr 30 min wait.

We eventually made it to our bedroom and we found the room to be very basic for a 4 star (Trident) hotel. I have stayed in better fitted motels before.

On our first morning we took the kids to the miniclub and their ski gear had gone missing and noone knew where it was. Some of the other parents had the same problem so you can imagine the panic and chaos. We missed out first mornings ski lesson because of the miniclubs disorganisation.

The FOOD - Very basic, cooked for the masses.
The after dinner show was very basic, I felt like we were staying in Butlins.

The PISTE is a 15 mins walk from the hotel which you can imagine how uncomfortable this it is walking in ski boots.

All in all a very disappointing holiday although St Moritz was a beautiful location, I wouldn't go back again this CLUB MED.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank GlobtrotterLondon
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

Before leaving to go to Club Med in St Moritz, I typed reviews of club med St Moritz into google - this is the website it came up with. In a lot of ways it made me think twice about the holiday i was going on, now i have returned I think that maybe other reviewers are being sarcastic, or have very high expectations of which could never be met.
My experience with Club Med this year has been amazing. For the second I left home to the second I returned there was no money that had to be spent because it was all inclusive. We were met at the airport where we had our transfer to the resort, during this transfer we were given drinks, and amazing hospitality. On arrival we were warmly welcomed, and given our room key. We were in standard club rooms for the first 7 nights, and these rooms were nothing but excellant - fluffy towels, feathery duvets and amazing views. The furniture was far from 'crap' it was just what was required in a skiing hotel. The general decor of the whole hotel was fine, and the GO team were excellant.
The restaurant had a wide range of foods and the service was excellant, the 2 mountain restaurants were just as good. The bar had an amazing range of drinks, and the service was also excellant here too. The swimming pool, fitness suite, and all other facilities were excellant too.
I have also read on this website that the manager is never seen, something has obviously drastically changed, or its sarcasium. The manager welcomed us on arrival, came around and spoke to everyone in the bar of the first night. Danced in the show, welcomed us onto the slopes, and was always around if anyone wanted to speak to him. He also thanked us and waved goodbye on our departure.
We were due to leave St Moritz on the Sat however there was so much snow that the railawys were closed the roads were closed and there was no exit. The GO team were very apologetic (To include the manager), gave us free accommodation in their top class rooms until we were able to leave. There was 2 meetings informing us of the latest and when we would be able to leave. We were able to leave on the sunday and a GO took us and put us on the airoplane, after another goodbye from the manager.
Generally this holiday was the best holiday I have ever been on, and I definatly wouldnt like people to read other reviews on this website and not go with club med. I think that maybe these people may be coming from the fact that there is always entertainment, bands and dancing at club med, so unless you plan to sit in your room for the week - it isnt a quite holiday.
I have now been to 3 club meds, and I will continue with these holidays FOREVER.

• Liked — The friendly staff and presence of the manager
  • Disliked — Nothing
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank SkiLoverEngland