“Older hotel”

Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
melboutne
“Older hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel was dated , rooms need renovating. Fridge in room. Staff were pleasant. Bed was too soft. Pillows to flat. Carpet was very old & worn. Breakfast was very poor. They need to go to coffee making school, it tasted like dirty water. Free wifi in reception area only. As for the area I think this was the 2nd last building at the end of st moritz. But bus stop is outside hotel. 10 mins walk to centre, if you want to call it a centre, nothing but a few very expensive shops which were all closed. A few restaurants, also very expensive. But if you are coming here I suppose it's for the amazing mountains & scenery, which were spectacular.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed as part of a Cosmos tour and no doubt from other reviews there are some lovely spacious rooms but ours was not. It was tiny and the bathroom had the smallest shower possible. We found the room safe in the wall at the end of the day, we'd looked everywhere around the wardrobe as usual. There was no air conditioning but we were high enough to safely leave a window open, which overlooked a construction site. Wifi worked only in the lobby and dining room.
We did have a good dinner in the restaurant. The first morning we had breakfast which was just cold selection, the other area of the dining room was sectioned off and occupied by another tour. The next morning we noticed the other area had hot food so don't know if that was available the first morning and no-one bothered to tell us or it was meant just for the other tour.
The hotel is located at one of the furthest points from town, uphill, although there is an escalator half way down to take you to the lake level.
If we were visiting again ourselves we would definitely look for a hotel closer to town.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RNP2008
SouthAfrica
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel, quaint and with picture-perfect views of snow-capped peaks. Huge indoor swimming pool with the views of the snow-capped peaks. Pure relaxation and bliss. Fast, efficient internet. Great breakfast. Spacious, comfortable room and bathroom. Nice children's play area. Lovely quaint bar and entertainment area which must be great in winter with the fireplace. Living room complete with books. Beautiful marble floors. Walking distance to shops yet quiet and a pleasure to sleep at night. Reception staff and friendly, helpful and fluent in English.

Only minor issues that I experienced were a hair in the bath that wasn't mine and a coffee stain on the breakfast table- cloth. Other than that, a magical place and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed June 2013
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a ways up on steep road and that caused us to skip the walk down to the lake. Our room was nicely updated with granite counters and dual sinks in the bathroom, toilet with its separate door, wood cabinets, doors and paneling throughout.
Being part of Cosmos we were offerred three 3 course dinner options, the ones we tried - penne pasta (vegetarian) 19F, and chicken 20F were nice. Service was fast. Credit card was accepted for over 40F total. Cold breakfast was ok, vegetarian options included milk and cereal, bread and fruit salad.
The hotel has a nice big pool and sauna area, for some reason it didn't appear to be in active use as many of the lights were out and several showers were non functional.
Wifi was available but signal strength was a bit weak to work consistently in our room or dining area.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank R K
Zürich
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel is ok, really just ok, maybe average. But definitely not a 4* quality where you pay in excess of CHF330 PER night for the most basic standard double.
Let me list out the good and bad:

Good
It's clean
Its proximity tonthe Dracula nightclub (which is just above the hotel) but no noise filters into the room from there.
It is walking distance to town centre - about 7-8 mins
Friendly staff if a bit....well see below (aprt from the guy at the desk in the morning at check out, he was very helpful and nice)

Bad
Now here requires a bit more detail. I arrived to check in at about 2pm and was ravenous. Thinking I could order room service to enjoy after perusing the pool and steambaths, I was greatly looking forward to getting to the hotel.
But can you imagine that they serve NO food until 5pm because the kitchens were closed. I though ok fine, at least in the mini bar will have some snacks and I can make myself a coffee.
In the room - no coffee or tea making facilities, a 4* hotel!
Minibar - two miniscule bottles each of cava, white wine, red wine and sparkling water.....no snacks!
This was getting silly I thought.....

Bathroom - no cotton bud/q tips, no cotton pads to wash my face, no nail file or any of the bathroom amenities you expect from a hotel.
Room - no bathrobe or slippers.......so how are people suppose to go to the pool and steam room.

I went back downstairs to ask about the food because I was simply starved. THEN I was told I can go into the little restaurant off reception for coffee.
Waited there for a few mins......no one was around. My mouth was beginning to water seeing the cakes covered on the bar top.
I went back to reception to ask whether this was closed or is it self service....
She seemed surprise that no one was around....turns out the kitchen guy was out back for whatever reason.
I then asked if there was anything I could order to eat (thinking hint hint she would tell me what the cakes were). The silly woman actually said NO!
I was like, what about these tarts here?????
Then she was like 'oh yeh of course.....'
So I wanted to take it up to my room to eat than sit at the silent, opressingly silent may I add, little corner of the 'restaurant'. My cake and coffee was then loaded onto a tray SO I COULD CARRY THE THING BACK TO MY ROOM MYSELF!
What service is this?! NO SERVICE
For a hotel I expected them to say something like 'certainly, I'll have someone bring it up to your room shortly'
This was ridiculous!
And the wifi was only available in that little restaurant too, nowhere else in the hotel. Are we back in the middle ages?!

Ater complaining to a friend of mine who also stayed at this place, he said that guests were expected to pay a deposit for the bathrobe and slippers, and then you get the whole cotton buds/q tips with it. I mean this is really like hostel quality then no??

Apparently, you have to pay for the sauna, even if you are a guest here. And you have to tell them an hour in advance that you want to use it.....and it is not open on Thursday or the weekends.......does that make any sense at all??? Not open on the weekends.....

So we go out for the evening, you have to change your room key to a night key specific to your room as the front door and reception is closed after 11pm. Old fashioned yes but it was no biggy.

The bath tub glass shelter doesn't do a very good job of keeping the water IN the tub with the result that the bathroom floor was all wet after my shower.....which I then preceded to cover the floor with all the towels available to soak up the water.
I thought, there must be a turn down service for a 4* hotel and they will bring me fresh towels -
I'll just do a little clean up myself here for now.

However, upon finishing my coffee and cake that I had to bring up to the room myself........, and leaving that tray of remains on the desk, we found out that the turn down service is literally that - turn down the covers of your bed and NOTHING ELSE.
No clean up of the tray of food, no emptying of the rubish and definitely NO CLEAN UP OF THE BATHROOM FLOOR AND NO FRESH TOWELS!
This was actually stupid as well as ridiculous, why on earth would the service exclude everything about a proper turn down service bar the turning down of the covers.....I could do that myself!
And there was absolutely no cleaning of the bathroom floor, with the still wet towels. I'm sorry but I really think it is just common sense when your service is to tidy up a guests room, they obviously would not want rubbish still around and the bathroom still wet and full of waterlogged towels....or is that really too much to expect?!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank imajesas

Travelers are raving about these St. Moritz hotels

Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Been here for week again over Christmas like almost every year. I like this hotel real family hotel very traditional Switzerland hotel, rooms have been renovated and are a lot better and bathroom are ok. For st moritz price quality this hotel is ok, comparing price quality and other regions i assume a lot would say to expensive. For sure will go back here more often, restaurant from the hotel is very nice and breakfast as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Baren during the Bobsled/Skeleton Championships, and the hotel was superbly located near the top of the bobsled run. The hotel is old, but the rooms are very modern and well decorated. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the view was incredible. My only complaint is that wifi is only available in the lobby area, which has plenty of places to sit, but it would be nice to have access in the rooms. The Olympia restaurant is excellent. If you're traveling with young children, they can get some downtime in the common area with a great selection of toys.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business