We wanted to treat ourselves and booked 3 days at Kempinski in St. Moritz, paying over USD 2000 per night. Normally you would imagine to get high quality in return but unfortunately not at Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains in St. Moritz. I can only recommend anybody who seeks a romantic stay to NOT book this hotel UNDER ANY CONDITION if you like to receive an appropriate service for the following reasons:
1. We arrived by car and parked as you would expect in the main entrance to get our luggage unloaded. However, instead of a friendly "welcome", he looked at us confused, almost questioning why we even parked in the main entrance to get our luggage unloaded. I had to explain in two different languages that we are guests and will be staying at this hotel and whether he can unload the car. Very unusual way of greeting their guests in such a apparently high standard hotel.
2. We booked a king-size bed. I explicitly called 4 months ago and requested it. We arrived and were given two single beds. We asked nicely and apparently it was impossible to get another room. Only when getting angry they apparently "tried". So, even if you call and book a specific condition like a king size bed, Kempinski is not able to fulfill their guest's request.
3. While waiting for the lady to sort out our room for 20 minutes, which in the end was not successful, we got offered a glass of champagne. Nice gesture you would think. But problematic was that both champagne glasses had sediment in it. We made a joke whether the hotel wanted to now poison us. Pity that this is Kempinski.. You would expect at least for them to get champagne right..
4. We were not successful to have a king-size bed room, although we booked it way in advance. To make amends, they offered to place a king size mini mattress on top to give the feel of a king size bed. After they told us they could not find a room with a king size bed, they forgot their offer so we walked into a room with 2 separate beds. We asked the person who walked us to our room to arrange to have the king size thin mattress placed on top, so a few minutes later the maids came…..when we returned to our bedroom after dinner, we realized that the maids had only placed a king size duvet but under that there were 2 separate mattresses without anything on top! So we went down to the front desk, told them for the 3rd time now (!!) to do what they offered to do, and that we would take a walk for 15 minutes to allow them time to do this. We return to the room later and a few minutes later the phone rung…They told us that all their maid staff had left for the evening! We insisted they take care of that….after all a romantic evening with beds that resemble being in camp is not exactly what we had in mind….eventually a maid showed up and she simply put a king sized sheet on top! We tried to tell her that it was not what we had been promised or described, but she unfortunately did not speak English or German…only Italian.
5. We were required to book half board and were told at check in that dinner is until 11pm. This was not a misunderstanding as we made a joke with the front desk member how both breakfast and dinner were from 7 to 11 (am for breakfast and pm for dinner). We arrived at the restaurant at 10:25 to a surprised hostess who told us the restaurant was about to close! Bad communication error? Again you have to get upset at them to get any effort to accommodate you and finally after a lot of negotiation they offered us to sit and eat
6. I wanted to open one of the steam food warmers to serve myself some pasta. They must have let it come to an end where it became dangerous, because when I opened the lid the steam came out so strong that it burned my hand so much that I screamed in the middle of the restaurant. I have little blisters and my fingers are swollen. How can something like this happen?
All in all, it is only our first day (more like 2 hours!!) but we both have stayed in many expensive hotels, including the Baltchug Kempinski in Moscow. But we both have never come across such poor service on the first night.
So to conclude: don't stay there, rude staff who is not able to fulfill basic requests, you might end up burned and really, it is not worth it !
We will keep you posted…with 3 days to go we are bracing for more and at least we can get some catharsis by sharing our experiences…
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kempinski St. Moritz combines great hotel tradition with modern service. That is why demanding guests feel at home away from home. At the four restaurants the classical art of cooking with local products is interpreted in a modern way. The Kempinski the SPA offers wellness, pool, fitness and a personal trainer. Taste the Kempinski comfort in a relaxed atmosphere in one of 184 luxurious rooms & suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains St. Moritz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.