All reviewsimpressive hoteldifferent typesski shopdeluxe roomconcierge desklobby barkids clubturn down servicerooms are spaciousskiing holidaywonderful hotelthe hotel managerspa areacable carno air conditioningski schoolski pass
Reviewed January 24, 2012

So I recently found myself "stuck" in St Moritz for an evening (terrible dilemma I must say) I chose to stay at the Kempinski for the evening, and it looked like a nice place to stay.. I made a last minute booking and walked in. It took a couple minutes to check in as most guests plan their arrival unlike me.. Nonetheless this was no inconvience, I got to enjoy the warm, spectacular lobby, and I was even treated to a drink (Something you wouldn't expect in Europe) I was finally escorted to my room. I honestly booked the standard room, and had low expectations. What I found was an oasis of comfort in this vast city of -10 temperature. The room was just what I needed and more. I can say the web site, and some other reviews can't do justice. I was very satisfied, and I have stayed at a few grand hotels in my day.
On to the pool/spa.. Flawless, I could go on and on about what you get when you stay here. I am sure you all get the picture. On the day of my departure, went to breakfast which is comped for all guest. Again I have stayed at decent hotels worldwide. What I came to was a buffet that would rival the great breakfast buffets of Asia. The grandeur of the dining room rivaled the St Regis in Bali with of course snow outside instead of Sun and Ocean. Although not a massive selection of this and that, what you have is a fine selection of the best. Lets just say when I went to get blackberry jam for my toast, I had the inconvenience of having to choose from about 4 different blackberry jams! There was a table just for jam, and honey! The service was top notch. Of course you would expect this from a hotel which averages around $1000 a night or so in the winter season, but what I experienced was the staff at breakfast, and in general going above and beyond their jobs. There was also a kids table which was pretty cool.
I didn't want to leave, but all great experience must come to an end (well I guess unless you are a billionaire lol) After checking out, I had a hickup or two ([--] happens of course) When I got in contact with the hotel for a resolution the General Manager Rupert Simoner (not some desk jockey) got in touch with me right away, and like all his staff went above and beyond his duties to make sure I was a happy guest after I checked out. I have to give it to Mr Simoner, he does a hell of a job running this hotel, and all I can say is A+++ Stay at the Grand Hotel des Bains, and you will have a hotel impression which will last forever.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BangkokRyan
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a wonderful setting. We were travelling with our daughter's family and we found the staff very helpful. Children are well catered for. The highlight was the breakfast which was as good as we've had. Perhaps it was the range of freshly squeezed juices, the french champagne, the truffle shavings over the omlette, the special children's food table or the exceptional service. Hard to pinpoint but it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank greyman47
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Firstly I would like to write a great review about this hotel, but unfortunately I cannot.

The hotel is physically beautiful and set in amazing surroundings, but there are some staff which have made my stay here somewhat annoying. There are great staff working at the hotel, in fact at times the service was too attentive, however there are also staff which are outright rude.

I witnessed the door staff making jokes behind guest's backs and blatantly laughing to their faces.

I had issues with my room type and I was promised it would be fixed two days after my check in as all the rooms were booked on the weekend. On the Sunday, two days after my check in I called reception to change my room as promised, and I got a cold response and was told that they would call me back. I waited for their call but then had to leave for dinner and told them I would speak with them after dinner. At no time was my request actioned or even entered into the system, so every person I spoke to I had to explain. Now after my 5th night here the issue is still not resolved and at no point have staff followed up. Disgraceful really. I gave up as I hate to winge.

The breakfast buffet is inadequate and is very limited for hot options. The room service I have had has been good, but very over priced and the options available definitely do not cater to everyone's taste in terms of variety.

The rooms have some good features but are small in general, and little things like no phone beside the bed is just annoying when you have to get up to use it.

I was put in an interconnecting room and I could hear every word of what was being said next door, not to mention some drilling and banging.

All said the hotel is amazing to walk around and look at. It is somewhat reminiscent of something from a Bond movie but I would not stay here again. Very pricey with inconsistent staff and service. It is a shame that the few bad staff can tarnish the reputation of their colleges who do their jobs very well.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Troy-was-here
Kempinski M, Manager at Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains St. Moritz, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to evaluate your recent stay with us at the Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains in St. Moritz.

I deeply regret to hear that our service didn’t meet your expectations during your last visit. Behaviours as mentioned in your comments are certainly not tolerated. The Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains is well-known for the friendliness of its staff and I will do everything in my power to keep this reputation throughout the years.

As for the room, I sincerely present you my apologies. It’s not at all acceptable that the Front Office team didn’t find a solution for it during your stay. In fact the hotel was nearly fully booked during the period you were our guest, with exception of the weekend when the hotel runned at 100% occupancy. In any case it shouldn’t have inhibited the receptionist to contact and give you a fully update. Such situations should not happen and are for me totally inadmissible. Please rest assured that I have already discussed it with the respective head of department for immediate action.

I have appreciated your comments with regards to the breakfast buffet and room service menu. Although I would like to add that the breakfast buffet was recognized as one of the best in Switzerland. Your feedback and constructive criticism are very important while it helps us to better understand the guests’ needs and take the appropriate action.

The motivation of my team and me is to fulfill your wishes and make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Thank you once again for your time and I would be very glad to welcoming you back at the Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains St. Moritz in the near future.

With kindest regards,
Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains

Reviewed January 14, 2012

The hotel is a bit remote from the centre of St. Moritz but you can get there by walking along the (small) lake for 15 minutes. The standard of the hotel is just great (speaking as a very spoiled traveller). Top notch service, great food, very very clean. The staff really cares about you and your needs, is always friendly and attentive. The guests are very international and might be the crowed you like to be around if you don’t want to be around the usual crowd. However, the hotel and the atmosphere is not snobbish at all. I can recommend the mountainview rooms as much as the lake view (especially in winter when it's dark outside anyway). The bar is great place to meet and enjoy a snack. Especially the 'library' is a gem where you can enjoy a cigar after a nice day. There were some reports about late night noise from the bar on tripadvisor. I didnt encounter any, but the noise might go up and down with peak and low season (to be sure you have a quiet sleep, I would recommend to go there during off-season and choose a mountainview room to be on the safe side).

I am sure you will love this place.

Room Tip: Mountain view - you dont miss much of a view in winter when it's dark most of the time.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Kintung
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I spent the swiss national day there - 1st august
They organized a fantastic brunch, the food was very good. It is a 5 stars hotel and i had also this impression.. Great spa, friendly stuff, very clean and confortable..

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple