“St Moritz”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
Basel switzerland
“St Moritz”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

SHould have checked the weather before driving over the St Julia pass as winter itres were called for!
Reasonable hotel standard Swiss Alipine type. Was looking forward to a good thai dinner but thia resturant is closed on Mon night (should have checked?). Heat in room was unbearable and had to sleep with window open. Nice staff pleasant experince (note not in downtown St Moritz but easy enough to get too

Room Tip: If looking for Asain food check days are open.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jrcbasel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Arrived in St. Mortiz off the Glacier Express. As soon as we stepped off the train we were met by the shuttle bus (mini-van) driver for the Laudinella. Was not expecting this so it was a big bonus. The hotel is not situated near the train station so you will need to organise a taxi if the shuttle bus is not around.

The reception staff were efficient and helpful, although not overly friendly. The lobby and communal areas are large and there is plenty of room to play cards in the lounge (important for us). There was a cat wandering around reception that seems to live there, very cute, affectionate and well looked after.

We were travelling with another couple, but for some reason we were given rooms on totally different sides of the hotel. We booked with the same travel agent at the same time, so I'm not sure how this happened. In any case it was a little inconvenient as our elevator was located next to reception, while theirs was located through a rabbit warren of corridors at the other end of the hotel.

The rooms were very sterile and bare, and the tv was a little old. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were tiny. Our room was well insulated from the cold outside and the noise in the hallway. The bathroom was huge, but then our travel companions had a tiny bathroom, so I guess it's luck of the draw. There is free Wi-fi

There are numerous dining options available, from asian cuisine to an italian pizzeria. I honestly can't remember them all, but there's no need to leave to the hotel as everything you need is right there. Breakfast buffet is very good if you can contend with all the elderly German trekkers.

Have stayed elsewhere in St. Moritz, but for value for money in Switzerland, I recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wales
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were booked into this hotel whilst on a Swiss rail tour booked by Rail Tour Switzerland. A hotel mini bus met us at St Moritz railway station. The hotel is modern and we were quickly through the efficient reception staff and into a very nice room with free Wi Fi.

We went out for a walk and to look for somewhere to eat and quickly realised that the hotel was in a residential area. With nothing else to do we returned to the hotel, now realising why it could afford to boast four restaurants of its own, although only the pizzeria and the buffet were open. We opted for the buffet which at 35 francs was good value by Swiss standards. Buffet was generally of good standard although the soup was only lukewarm. Whilst I drank beer my wife ordered a glass of wine at 5.50 francs, it came as a large glass with a trickle of wine in the bottom !

Room was very hot that night and without any apparent control on the air conditioning it seemed that a balance could only be achieved by opening the window to the freezing air

Breakfast was in the same restaurant with an excellent choice including hot food. Although don't be fooled it may look like a traditional English breakfast, it isn't, there again why should it be ?

Minibus was again there to transport us to the station.

Room Tip: If you need a Swiss three pin adaptor reception will lend you one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I landed in Geneva, Switzerland and only had a few days to see the country and knew what I wanted to do but wanted to feel safe traveling by myself. I went to the train station and told the travel agent what I wanted to do. I was able to book everything right there for three days. I got on an early morning train, went south to Zermatt where I stayed at the Butterfly Best Western Hotel. It was a perfectly clear day so took the train up to see the Matterhorn! Magnificent!. The ski village of Zermatt is wonderful, too.The next morning I boarded the Glacier Express which is a very slow moving train that travel all the way across the southern Alps. When I arrived in St. Moritz a driver from Hotel Laudinella met me to take me to the hotel. I was quickly checked in and settled into my room. I then took a walk around the edge of the lake and walked through the "village" of St. Moritz. I returned to the hotel. The hotel has several choices of restaurants - pizza, combination that included sushi and also a buffet type of restaurant. I didn't eat in any of them that evening but included in my room was a breakfast buffet which was FABULOUS! It was one of the best breakfasts I have had - particularly in Europe. The hotel shuttle took me to the train station where I caught the train back to Geneva via Zurich and across the northern part of the country. I did all of this in three days plus had an additional day in Geneva and travelled to Annecy, France and Dardagny, Switzerland.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jan K
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is recently renovated with fresh Alpine style. My room was small but exceptionally clean and well maintained. The television was old and sub-standard, though, but had about 40 channels available including CNN. A large common room in the ground floor is cosy and invites to enjoy a cup of tea. The hotel itself has many good restaurants. The gym and sauna area on the upper floor have great views. The breakfast selection is superb as is the lunch and dinner buffet in the same Stuva restaurant.

Note that Laudinella is located in St. Mortiz Bad a mile away from the Dorf. However, there are some restaurants and shops nearby. The location is ideal for athletes and outdoor enthusiast, since there's a track next to the hotel. Also, mountain and lakeside trails start near the hotel. There were some endurance athletes in the hotel training for the London Olympics during my two week stay. There's also a bus stop less than 100m away with good connections to nearby villages.

By St. Moritz standards, this is one of the best value.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent one night here. Our room was large and clean. It was nery nice that we got free internet access and the password was given to us at check-in. A big negative was no air-conditioning. We did have a large balcony and could open the doors for fresh air. The hotel had a large dinner and breakfast buffet but the food quality was only mediocre. Beautiful scenery all around!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank psychlady
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 29, 2012

After few years i FELT like going back to thailand, the atmosphere, the experience and the flavours.. i'm speachless.. the thai chef is a wonderful woman with a humile actitude. The waitress very attentive suggest the perfect wines.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends