“Best place EVER !!!”

Hotel Waldhaus Am See
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel was wonderful , food great and excellent hiking trails right out the front door. The staff was very friendly and always there to help. The breakfasts had everything one could ever want. I wish we could have stayed longer !!

Room Tip: All rooms had a lovely little balcony and a beautiful view !!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Waldhaus Am See

Reviewed June 18, 2012

we stayed 2 nights, we came by train i called them 30mins before the train arrived and arranged a pick up. Not far from the station but it is up hill so the pick up was great.
we had good room, views of the lake, very comfortable. Staff very helpful. we had dinner one night this was OK. Breakfast are good. we walked around the lake which take 1 hour.
We took the Bernnia Express from St Moritz and return a great day, especially when we woke up to snow. to get up to the town walk through the car park from the station and use the esculators at the very end of the car park. Also free wifi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank polarbearNewZealand
Reviewed June 6, 2012

To us this hotel was perfect in St Moritz. We were welcomed with enthusiasm and the receptionist was very helpful. Our bedroom is divine and the beds and doona wonderfully comfortable. Our room looks out to the snow capped Alps and the lake. We opted for the hotel dining room that night for dinner and the food was good and fresh. The hotel is very clean fresh smelling and efficient. Best of all it has free wifi that is stable. A definite plus for us. They also have a sauna and a massage therapist inhouse. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room. You will get your own private balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Visiting this hotel in May gives an advantage of a lower rate, yet given it was still one of the most expensive rates I’d paid on a trip the length and breadth of Switzerland I expected a level of service that was at least satisfactory – yet I found the reduced rate was entirely at the expense of hotel hospitality, with the reduced staffing a key part of the problem. In addition St Moritz resembles a “Ghost Town” during this part of the season, especially on a Sunday, where nothing was open apart from the station shop and buffet, and no people were in town other than rather bemused travellers who had just arrived on a visit to the town.

The hotel is close to the station, but there is a reasonable uphill walk to be considered for those with luggage. On arrival I was studiously ignored by the one person in the reception area – a master of avoiding eye-contact as he continued his telephone conversation for several minutes.

The rooms are impressive, with an excellent view over the lake, and impressive array of TV channels (including BBC1-4, ITV1-4 for UK visitors). The bathroom was well appointed, although the maid chose to replace the empty bottles of toiletries on the shelf after the first day rather than provide new ones!

The in-room wi-fi worked well, and the room temperature was easy to regulate with a dual-action window. The lack of in room power points was a slight issue, which meant sacrificing one of the main room lights in order to use a computer with a power adaptor.

Breakfast was an odd experience – I was left to wander into the room, and discover that all of the tables had been pre-allocated to rooms – but with no guidance on where your table might be! When I wanted milk for my cereal I had to go to the kitchen door to flag an employee down to get some (I’m not sure why it seemed to come as a surprise people might want milk for their cereal). Although I commented on the arrangement at reception, there was no change the following day – rather frustratingly the “good tables” with a nice view of the lake remained reserved but unoccupied for the second day running.

I did get an explanation from reception as I checked out – it appeared many hotel staff, including the restaurant host, were on holiday, so I guess I was unlucky, but I really did expect a better level of hospitality for the price I paid.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WhiteAnt2008
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed here for just one might in transit from the glacier express to the Bernina express, so I don't get time to explore the hotel fully.

Staff were pleasant, room was nice, small with a view of the trees at the rear. Room was the most expensive in the whole trip, but it is st Moritz! Bed comfortable and shower over bath was good.

Great views of the lake and very close to the train station. Breakfast Buffett is very extensive. I was able to fry my own egg In a small hot plate. There are cereals, breads, fruit, fresh juice squeezers, but the coffee is from a very average automatic machine.

Restaurant is very expensive, we found a good cheaper place just down the hill near the station with good steak and trout.

Room Tip: You need to pay more for a lake view. Get a free peak of the view at breakfast or on the lakeside wa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Firstly i would like to thank mr joe, merlyn, patriacha for their friendly helpful nature . We stayed in room 710& 711 with an excellent scenario , neat atmosphere . This hotel has wonderful restaurant with delicious breakfast !!! I would like to visit this place again & again .

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed for 3nights, we had a lovely view of the lake from our room. The beds were comfortable and the room very clean-also the bathroom which was well equipped with hair dryer and plenty of storage units. There was a T.V., safe and a fridge in the room. We also had free WiFi in our room, and although it was very cold outside -6, the room was very warm.
We used the sauna & steam room, also free to guests.
Our room rate package included breakfast buffet, which was very good, and dinner which was however rather disappointing. The hotel restaurant is quite large with bright lighting and was very busy- definitely not the venue for a romantic or cosy evening! Adequate for a large group or family just looking to eat (there was a self service salad bar) but we found the dinners almost cafeteria type and the service (although polite) a little hurried. Due to this we ate out on the last evening and the hotel refunded us CHF 20 per person for not having taken dinner.
We hoped to experience the whiskey bar, which is advertised to have the largest selection, however it was so crowded and very smokey we just couldn't stay in there.
We did enjoy our stay at the Waldhaus am See, and the staff were very pleasant. Great
lake views and would be perfect for walking in the summer, but next time I would ask for a B&B rate only. The lack of atmosphere in the restaurant and the "package dinner"in the evening really is the only thing that was disappointing with our stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a lake view. There are also rooms on the ground floor if accessibility is an issue.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple