“Excellent location with views”

Hotel Waldhaus Am See
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
Brisbane
“Excellent location with views”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife and I enjoyed two nights at Hotel Waldhaus-am-See, St Moritz, last May 2011. We chose this hotel for its unique location with its great views of the lake and alps. The hotel’s minibus picking us up from the nearby station and on return was much appreciated.

Our Lakeview room, on the first floor, had access to a small deck overlooking the lake. Our room was clean and comfortable, with plenty of storage in the foyer, and the bathroom had enough space.

The highlight was the restaurant with its wonderful views of the lake, the town, and the mountains. Full-width windows, chandeliers with white linen, silver and flowers on the table set the tone.

The breakfast buffet was unbelievable with a vast array of food and drinks. We had never seen an egg boiler before, but it worked very well. You pop the egg into a wire scoop with handle hooked over the edge of an appliance with boiling water. By the time you select the rest of your breakfast, the hard boiled eggs are done to perfection. There were also small frypans on hot plates, if you preferred scrambled eggs. The quality and variety of the bread, jams, cheese, meat slices, etc were superb. The cheese was presented in a cheese wagon in the shape of a round hard cheese.

The set menu at night was excellent value with very good service.

There is a path from the hotel down to the lake for an easy stroll around the lake. The hotel is close to the railway station and bus-stop.

Room Tip: There is a lift so ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor room with lake views.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Outside of the nice lake view this hotel is as simple as things get for St Moritz. Each room comes with a VHS player and CDs from the early 80s, including Ike and Tine Turner.

Rooms are small, basic with little thought gor design. But if price and location are your two goals then it's one of the few options.

• Stayed June 2011
VA
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Was doing a day trip from Milan to St. Moritz, but ended up staying the night here after sampling too many scotches and wine.

Went here originally to get dinner with a view (this is one of the only restaurants/hotels with an unobstructed view of the lake). When I arrived, I started talking to the man behind the bar, who showed me the "book" of scotches that they had available. After sampling a few of the scotches, learned the man's name was Pascal. Moved from the bar to the restaurant and had an awesome small format bottle of Les Carmes Haut Brion. Then, moved on to the meal having Veal Gordon Blue. Finished up with a dessert wine, which I barely remember.

The room was adequate, but not luxurious by any means. Lots of storage space and closets, which would be handy if I actually had luggage. But could see how this would be great during the ski season with a family. The king bed was 2 single beds pushed together, and it they each had a headboard and foot board...which means at 6'3", I was not able to fit into the bed lengthwise. Normally, my feet hang off the end of such short beds, but the foot board impeded this. Ended up turning sideways half-way through the night, and slept well the rest of the night.

Overall, great experience. I would highly recommend. If you go here, say "hi" to Pascal.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Out of all of the hotels we had booked for our Switzerland trip, I was most nervous about arriving in St. Moritz because the Waldhaus Am See Hotel did not have very many reviews written in English. Waldhaus Am See Hotel turned out to be one of the best hotels from our entire stay and we would return in a heartbeat!

First of all the location: BEST LOCATION IN ST. MORITZ!!!!!!!!!

LOCATION
The hotel is located directly over the bridge from the train station and as long as you are fit enough to walk your suitcases over the bridge and up the small hill the hotel is situated on, it is extremely easy to walk there! Even though it was cold and windy, we walked there no problem! You can see the hotel from the train station but the trick is that you need to go back down under the platforms and then walk out toward the lake and you will see the bridge and the hotel. It is maybe a 5 minute walk....

The hotel is situated right on the lake! This hotel is the ONLY hotel that is lakeside! This was something we considered to be a huge advantage!

Also, the hotel is all by itself on the small hill on the lake. Not only was it pristine and beautiful but it was quiet! We got the best night sleep ever!!!

There is a path that runs the entire circumference around the lake and the hotel is right on it. You walk down (past the cute bunny rabbits in cages that the hotel has) and you have the lake at your fingertips. There are many benches along the path and it makes for a romantic walk.

We had the Swiss Pass and like other towns/cities, the St Moritz bus was free with our pass so when we didn't feel like walking we just walked to the train station and took the 5 minute bus ride into the center of town.

BOOKING/RESERVATION
I was also nervous because I like to book directly with hotels on their website and while I knew I was getting a good deal, their website was not that easy to navigate in English. However, do not be put off! How the website booking system works is that you fill out the booking request form and then they have one of the hotel employees email back and forth with you to reserve and confirm your reservation. The woman I corresponded with had excellent English and it was very easy to book with her. Afterwards, I was sent an email confirmation and when we checked out the price we paid was exactly what the woman quoted me in the email.

CHECK-IN
Check in was very easy and we were even allowed to check in early. At first we were given a lake view room on the first floor but I asked if they had anything higher so we were then given a lake view room on the 3rd floor.

ROOM
The room was amazing! The bed, tv, bathroom, etc. were more lodge than hotel quality but the view more than made up for it! There was a small bay window with a chair as well as one large window that offered the most gorgeous views of the lake and St. Moritz. The room was very clean and like I mentioned before, it was so quiet! We got the best night sleep!

RESTAURANT
The hotel has a lovely restaurant with beautiful lake views! We got a table by the window for each meal and it was wonderful! The food was delicious! Everything was homemade (even the ravioli) and they served fresh caught fish. We would highly recommend dinner in the hotel. They have a large menu with menus available in a variety of languages. The complementary breakfast at the hotel had a very vast selection and everything was very tasty! There also is the World's Largest Whiskey Bar located next to the restaurant. It is very impressive!

OVERALL
We were so happy with our choice! This hotel had THE BEST LOCATION & amenities and we would much rather have stayed here than in one of the more modern/larger hotels not lakeside.

Room Tip: Pay the few more CHF and get a Lake View Room!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for five nights in late May, which is still low or shoulder season for St. Moritz. Many hotels and restaurants were closed, and the Waldhaus Am See was practically empty. Because of the really great location of the hotel, it is almost impossible to have a room without a view of either the mountains (back and right side of hotel) or lake (front of hotel), or both. However, I was given a very small room on the left overlooking the railroad station. When I asked if I could possibly change, I was told that no other rooms were available - in an empty hotel!
Further indignities occurred at breakfast. The dining room is large and never had more than two tables occupied each time I went to breakfast. However, when I asked to sit at one of the many empty tables next to the large windows so that I could see the lake, I was told, politely but firmly, that because I was by myself, I must sit at a table along the back wall.This was infuriating and humiliating.
Although I could possibly understand such policies if the hotel was full or even half full. this rigidity and total lack of interest in pleasing a guest during an extended off-season stay guaranteed that I will never, ever return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at the Walhaus because we were taking the Glacier Express and the train station is acrossed the street. The staff never asked us if we needed help with the luggage. We had to drag our bags to the station across a bridge in the rain. The altitude is high so it wasn't easy for flatlanders like ourselves. The rooms are very small and no a/c. We had a room over the hotel entrance and I was up all night because there was a wedding going on and the revelers were outside smoking and laughing until 5am. At breakfast I watched a couple of flies do a mating dance. Why don't they have screens on the windows in Europe? Haven't they heard of the Plague???

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I have stayed here on a number of occasions, usually when driving through.

The Waldhaus is priviledged to be the only lakeside hotel in St. Moritz. It has all types and sizes of rooms (I must have been in at least five different ones) and offers an eclectic mix of special features - always making for a remarkable stay. Staff was friendly and everybody seemed to be in a good mood, but efficiency could be improved upon. Most, but not all rooms offer the spectacular view over the lake and towards the mountains in the southwest. The restaurant is a spacious hall overlooking the lake. Like the whole hotel, it was probably built around the turn of the 19th century but updated so many times that no clear style can be detected anymore.

Food is good but not really worthy of the setting. Not even worthy of the wine list, which is one of the best in the world. You don't have to take my word for it, the respective certificates from "Wine Spectator" and other specialist bodies cover the walls of the place. But the wine list (spectacular as it is) is nothing compared to the Guiness Book certified Whisk(e)y selection. The bar has some 2800 different whiskies on offer and there are at least a thousand more in the vaults waiting to be classified, Claudio Bernasconi, the owner, assured (and showed) me.

There are apartments/suites in a nearby house called "Innfall". Nice, clean and spacious but lacking the view.

Rooms have hifi, TV and minibar. The minibar prices, strangely enough, are the cheapest I have ever seen. I asked Claudio about this and he replied that the cheap prices would "increase honesty".

I like the guy and I like his hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple