“WOW!”

Carlton Hotel St. Moritz
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I have stayed at the Carlton for a week each of the past 3 years and I am continually amazed at the level of service and quality of my experience each time.
Other hotels pale vastly in comparison, I only wish the ratings on TA went to 10 (and not 5) as the Carlton is truly in a class well beyond other properties.

The rooms are magnificent with fantastic views of the lake, horse racing etc. The service is truly impeccable with attentive, pleasant staff available at all times (almost to the point of annoyance as we faced 5 uber helpful wait staff as we tried to have breakfast one morning).

Of course service/quality like this does not come cheap, the mind bending cost is the only minor negative in an otherwise fantastic experience.

I love the Carlton and will be back next year!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank IslandHopper888

Reviewed February 15, 2010

ok, traveller, when we stayed there the most we met where 10 guests, and this is February, when the season is really hot, not sure where the guests are, but we felt very muhc like we owned the property; food was good, as well as the other amenities.

I can recommend this place, not sure how it is there when the hotel is full, but we liked it.

frank

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Stayed for 7 nights in Junior Suite with wife, on a half-board package. This property is pure magic, and deserves a full unqualified recommendation.

Location: Perfect balance between proximity to town and seclusion. 5 minutes by walk (via a small walking trail) to town center, but still enough of a secluded private feel, onan elevated position overlooking the town, the lake and the mountains - the view is simply unreal. For comparison, Kempinski seems to be oddly placed near the town entrance, Badrutt smack dead middle of town so not too much of a private feel, Kulm a bit too tucked away (behind Carlton btw). The only property that rivals the Carlton in terms of location and vista would the Suvretta House.

Ambience/Decor: Classic, but with touches of modern glamour - not the typical wooden beam, mountain lodge vibe, but more of a "modern classic" look. Painfully beautiful from both outside and inside. Double fireplace drawing room with outdoor terrace is a knock-out, really. The Carlton seems to be less stuffy than its other five-star competitors, and perhaps owing to this, the clientele seems to be a bit younger than other others.

Suite: Decked out in a mix of classic and modern glamour, and with a view to die for. Very spacious, with good bathroom. Plasma TV and all other modern amenities.

Food/Drinks: The main haute cuisine restaurant Romanoff is very good. Serves very good breakfast, and the dinner menu changes nightly, ranging from classic to inventive, with usually good results. The dining room itself is decadent, reminiscent of Michelin-starred restaurants in Paris and NY. Amazing wine list, and the cocktails at Romanoff and the bar are top-notch. The "casual" restaurant Tschine needs a bit more work. Not so casual (doesn't serve traditional fare), tries to be inventive, but produces mixed results. Not sure why anyone would dine at all at Tschine, when there's a a much superior Romanoff a floor above, so we didn't, and neither did most of the other guests.

Ski: A ski shop in B1 provides good rental and storage service, and an employee is always on duty to help you get fitted and ready. After changing into your boots, there's a shuttle right outside to take you to the lift, which takes less than 5 minutes (to Corviglia). The whole process is very fast and convenient.

Spa/Pool: Wonderful heated indoor/outdoor pool, great spa and sauna facilities - all interconnected. Nothing better than coming down from the slopes, throw off the gear, and heading down to the pool for a dip, and rounding off in the spa.

Service: Impeccable. Above and beyond call of duty. Friendly and attentive.

We are frequent travellers, and have seen our share of luxury and beauty, but the Carlton at St. Moritz is mind-blowing. It fulfills every bit of fantasy associated with a winter getaway. I think the Calton is the clear choice in the area, with perhaps only the Suvretta House as an alternative for older travellers or families.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tommy0609
Reviewed January 2, 2010

My wife, our son of 3 years old and my self won 2 free nights in a Junior Suite via the Leading Hotel of the World membership program. We enjoyed our stay as much as we could and we can only find positive points.
Hotel Carlton is beautiful, staff are helpful and efficient, spa and heated swimming pools are just great and you can relax and enjoy like you deserve it, if like me you are working too much ;-) !
My advice is to take a Junior Suite on the highest possible floor to enjoy the view on St-Moritz and to walk all around the lake. It will take you 1-2 hours, but it really worths it as you will see St Moritz under all possible views.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, all was perfect !

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I was staying at the Carlton, which was recently completely refurbished, with friends for a long weekend.We enjoyed the location and most spectacular view over the lake. We loved the design of the suites and the Spa but most important we were impressed by the highest level of service of the rather young team and the high attention to detail. Best spa in the area This hotel knows how it works and sets new standards in St. Moritz! Service attitude outstanding...a true Leading Hotel of the World! Butler Service was great! We will come back - OUR choice in St Moritz. Unfortunately the hotels is closed during summer!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights in last week of december . It was a great place and was much above our expectations . The staff were very polite and friendly from the time of our pick up till drop . Would recommended this place strongly .

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I just moved to Switzerland so when we noticed a one-time deal at The Carlton in St. Mortiz, we knew we had to go. I won't even mention how much we paid, as I said, they won't be offering a rate like that every again, but I bring that up as I somewhat expected to get sub-par service because they knew we had paid so little... not the case at all. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything was perfect. I have stayed at other very nice 5-star hotels, but this was beyond what I have experienced anywhere else.

First of all, the location is absolutely stunning. Every room has a view that will take your breath away. You can see Lake St Moritz and the mountains are all around you. When my husband and I went out in front of the hotel to take photos, it's just incredible, you're up on a hill, yet it seems that the mountains just sprout up all around you, it's really something. The hotel is nestled into the hillside too, so it fits very well and doesn't look out of place.

Onto the service. This is where this hotel really stood out from anything else I have ever experienced. We arrived and they had our check in information waiting for up in a leather portfolio. The process was very quick and we were immediately greeted by our butler who we were told would take care of anything we needed during our stay. He took us to our 65sm Jr. Suite and showed us how everything worked as they have quite a high tech lighting and heat system, automatic blinds, etc, etc. Our bags were brought up shortly after. We had great service in the bar and the casual dining restaurant we ate at the next night. We had room service for breakfast both mornings and it's probably the fastest and freshest room service I've ever had, arrived in about 10 minutes. The service in the spa was excellent as well. Basically throughout the hotel everyone was always friendly and welcoming and it really didn't feel forced at all. They were always willing to help and I really like that they seemed to treat my husband and I just as well as they would treat one of the many billionaires that stay here.

The food was plentiful and delicious. They delivered an incredible spread for breakfast each day from room service, and you feel like you're eating in a restaurant as the table is set really nicely and isn't your typical mobile tray that they generally bring food in on. we ordered eggs and bacon which are add'l (all hot foods are so they can be prepared fresh), but yogurt, fruit, a plate of cheeses and meats, breads, jam, etc, etc, etc, are all included. Everything was great, even freshly squeezed OJ.

We also ate the casual dining restaurant which was very good. it's Asian fusion so I ordered the special that night, scallops and tiger prawns over this special Asian noodle-stir fry. My husband had sea bass with a pea puree which he admitted he wasn't so sure about, but after he tried it, he thought it was really good. They also serve you freshly made breads, a whole variety with dipping tapenades. In between your starter, they serve a little taster, we had a carrot soup and then a small beef carripacio, it's the type of food you get in really high end restaurants and this was just included in the price of our regular entree. We didn't have dessert, but they still give you a plate of truffles, little cookies, etc. Overall, very good.

We went to the bar one night and had good drinks, they also have really good snacks out, nuts and chips and stuff, but my husband said the nuts were amazing. Served with a silver spoon, of course, so numerous hands aren't in there ;)

Our spa experience was really good, but husband got a back treatment and I got a classic massage. The treatment rooms are great though, they really think of everything. They had a comb and a hair rubber band in this dish so I could tie back my hair for the massage. Of course they have water or tea, but the room also had a huge jacuzzi tub and a nice shower. I didn't use either though. The general spa area is amazing, lots of different sauna, steam and caldarium rooms. They also have a private women's area and a lounge with drinks and magazines. We also went to the pool area, which is indoor-outdoor and the outdoor section has the most amazing views, very cool!

The room: we were in a 65m Jr Suite and it was perfect in every way. I've stayed in many really nice hotels, but they're not as up to date as they should be. I don't mind if the style isn't modern, but if it looks dated, I don't like that, especially if I'm paying so much. They really did the rooms well. They seem very traditional in style and have some modern touches, but to me they seem like they will be in style for years to come. The lighting was really great, the automatic system for everything was awesome, very high tech, the TV was huge (flat screen of course). We watched several movies like Blood Diamond and Music and Lyrics that were on "pay TV", however in the price box on the TV it said free, so I don't think they charge for that. The views were amazing, the bathroom and shower were great and they had nice Molton Brown bath products, everything you would need. they leave fresh fruit in your room daily and do nightly turndown service with truffles, water, etc. When we had accidently left the "Do not Disturb" light on, the maid had left the chocolates in a bag on our door handle. In the bag was also a personally addressed survey for us to fill out as they want to know if anything is not up to expectations.

November is a pretty dead time in St Moritz, but we were really coming to experience the hotel, so we were just fine with it. We went for a drive around the area and got some great pictures. The concierge is really helpful with any questions you have as well.

The prices at this hotel are steep, but I wouldn't expect anything less. It's definitely worth it when every expectation you have is met, if not exceeded. They really strive for perfection here and think of everything. And best of all, they seem genuine about wanting your stay to be perfect and wanting to help in every way. I really was impressed that even with the deal we got, we were still treated to such excellent service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, but be prepared to spend. The food, spa and everything else is worth it, so don't come here if you can't afford to take advantage of it.

Finally, I loved the last touch. When we left, obviously our bags were taken to our car for us, but they also give you a little bag with biscotti and bottled waters for the trip home. Your bill is put in a fancy envelope, all the touches were really really nice.

I only hope I'm able to stay at this hotel again soon, I definitely didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple