“Lovely hotel!”

Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Davos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Booked 2 rooms, for us and our teenage kids. One room upgraded so we would be on the same floor. Lovely spacious rooms, great swimming pool and super-friendly staff, in fact best at any place we've stayed in Switzerland. Would have preferred a wider choice of food in the restaurant but overall a great weekend had by all. Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Tina_Heide, General Manager at Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Tina Heide
Interims Hotelmanager

There are newer reviews for Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I m used with real 5* hotels, i do not want to say that this is a bad hotel but however for me looked like a 5* resort in Turkey.
First when i stept in the hotel the receptionist did not present the room, after it the room stank...it was quite new refurbished but obviously was just a superficial renovation. ( it was a smell of old pipes)
Second , the breakfast...food was rich ( not so many fruits) but the capuccino / coffee was not as good as i m used to have it.
I could see people wearing skiboots and skisuits during the breakfast...
Third thing: the housekeepers are starting at 8 am to chat on the lobby like on the street, which i consider unpolite but also in a realy 5 star hotel you do not have to feel the personal around you!!!
The atmosphere it is one as you met in a big resort , not the most quiet place. It is a mixed place...
I did not like the fact that the terrace of hotel it is small, the cars / shuttle bus parking , turning, right under your nouse when you wanted to drink in silence a coffee...
What it disturbed us, after 5 days spending in the hotel, the receptionist ( same person) asked us 3 times / day our name in order to give it the key's room...

The general atmosphere was that they are not realy 5*, they are just ok and did not make me to want to return here.For sure we will go next time in Pontresina( realy wonderfull services ) or in Klosters.

• Stayed: March 2014
Ingo_Schwegler, General Manager at Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear Ioana-Lara,

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in your online feedback here on tripadvisor regarding your recent visit at the Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvèdère Davos.

Referring to your remarks regarding the first impression at check in, housekeeping department and quality of coffee, I am very sorry if those have negatively influenced your stay at our hotel.

Your remarks help us to continuously improve our services and therefore I highly appreciate your comments.

We are more than happy about the huge renovation last summer which lasted 8 months and all our new rooms, I`m really sorry about the mentioned smell inside. We directly informed Housekeeping about this occurence.

For my team and me is the policy in our 5* hotel: safety first. That is why my front desk staff need to ask for the names of the guests when they hand out our traditional keys.

Please find my appologys regarding the noise of the free offered ski shuttle busses in front of our sun terrace - most of our clients are thankful for the free service to and from the slopes. We are happy to bring and pick up our guests and ski fans directly in front of our hotel.

My team and me, we would be happy, if you give us the opportunity to offer you and your family our services again at our Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvédère Davos.

Kind regards
yours

Ingo Schwegler

Dear Ioana-Lare, I do very much hope that we will have the opportunity in the near future to proof to you that we can indeed do better.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Belvedere for four days at the end of February, 21st-24th. Our intention was to go skiing for the weekend and relax at a nice hotel. I had already read some great reviews of this hotel here on Trip Advisor and on the pictures it looked like it would be one of those great hotels where you just like to be. It would soon become evident that I was right and that we had made the perfect choice. From arrival to departure it was just a wonderful experience with great service and comfort.

Our room was one of their basic ones and we got a great view of the town and the mountains. The room was decorated in a chic alpine style with a clean and fresh bathroom decorated in marble. The lounge downstairs is one of the better ones I have seen with a large bar area and comfortable furniture. The smoking room is surprisingly cosy and is serviced by a waiter when there are guests there. Breakfast is also one of the better that I've had with lots of choices, bacon and eggs, pastry and all that you can expect from a better 5-star hotel. The Italian restaurant has great food and they went the extra mile to add shrimps to the vegetarian risotto, no extra charge. And just so delicious. The main restaurant is also great, try the 7 course tasting menu for only 55 SFr (if you are a guest and you booked before 6 pm, otherwise 110 SFr). Service at the front desk is excellent and they print the ski passes for you while you wait. Their shuttle bus takes you directly to the slopes. Saturday when we came back after skiing the staff gave everyone waffles on the terrace and I must say skiing has never been this easy and free of hassle. And rarely has the front desk staff been this friendly and service minded. They seemed to be smiling all the time and in a honest way, not just politely. It felt like they really cared. We are definitely coming back.

Room Tip: Try the 7-course tasting menu in the main restaurant. If you book before 6 pm and you are a guest of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterPilotSweden
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hotel was very good, but the personnel was fantastic: smiling and helpful. I want to thank the whole staff and management team. You made our holiday. Can´t wait to travel back. Special thanks to Bjoern - Speedy Gonzales.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JuusoJT
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Well, where to start: the trip of 7 days was a mixture of good and bad.
Travelling with 2 kids (7 years and 7 months) to the pleasant surprise that we got an upgrade. We had booked a junior suite but the upgrade offered a suite with 2 rooms. The mini bar was filled up everyday with free soft drinks and there were snacks too. The check-in "counter" for kids with a free gift bag went down well too and is a nice touch. The rooms are however in need of renovation. They are small and the junior suite would have been the size of a standard double room in many a 5 star around the world. The toiletries in the rooms are comparable to what you get in a motel, the shower didn't hold properly (don't expect a rain shower) and it was things like this, which didn't make you feel you were in a 5 star room.
Then things really started to turn bad quickly. We waited 90 (!!) minutes for our luggage after arrival. We even called down twice..after a long journey and 2 tired kids, this was more than annoying to say the least. This was the beginning of what we saw as a real issue: the hotel is clearly understaffed when fully-booked. We went down to the bistro on the first night and waited 20 min for a menu, so we helped ourselves ..received pretty average food with Swiss prices (can't blame them for the pricing: it's comparable to everywhere else). The next day we went for breakfast and yes it was busy. I overheard one of the guests being told that there were a lot of orders at the egg station, so they would have to wait 20 min..so I soon crossed that thought off my list. The breakfast buffet was very good though and the staff were extremely attentive.
I took a walk later with the pram and discovered that there was no ramp at the hotel for the buggy...something I found really hard to believe. It wouldn't be so bad if they had a doorman or someone to help, but that's not the case. Things reached the lowest point when we went for dinner to the Italian restaurant. The restaurant was so full and again clearly understaffed. I felt embarrassed to ask for bread, as the food was taking too long. I also asked twice why the food was taking so long. I was told that the whole hotel was fully booked, all the restaurants were full at the same time and that's why the kitchen and staff can't deal with it. I felt sorry for the staff but after waiting nearly 2 hours for the main course to arrive we asked them to cancel the order and bring the bill. To be fair they already said that they would not charge us for what we had. However, I had already been thinking at this point that I wanted to speak to the hotel manager, because I really felt that this hotel was seriously badly managed and there were so many things that went wrong. The hotel manager arrived and listened to all the complaints we had. She clearly understood what we were saying and appreciated all the points we had. We had a very open and fruitful discussion. We really felt that the comments were well received. The hotel is a five star and is lacking a clear area where it can excel: if it is not through huge and modernised rooms, out-of this world cuisine then it must be through service. The prerequisite is however that you have enough staff at the right times, it doesn’t interest a paying guest if the hotel is fully-booked or not and you don’t do your staff any favours by putting them under such stress.
From this point onwards our trip turned for the best. We were invited for a dinner of our choice anywhere in the hotel (a very nice gesture), the staff asked us on several occasions about our feedback and sought a dialogue on the points we had and described how they felt. The other days: whether we ate in the hotel, had a drink in the bar or ordered eggs for breakfast..everything went smoothly. The check-out and pickup of luggage went well too.
So would we go back again? Definitely! And as much as I love forums like tripadvisor, I can only recommend that complaints be voiced during the trip, only then can situations be potentially rectified. The Belevedere is a beautiful old building, in a beautiful part of the world and definitely worth a stay. And a big kudos to the staff who are wonderful and attentive.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have stayed at this hotell many times and we always long to get back. It is a big luxury hotel but it hasn`t lost the personal atmosphere. The interior is a mix of old traditional and modern design. The Spa is great with luxury warm water in the pool and even the air is warm. They have a new chef in the kitchen and this year the food was even better than before

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AKL170
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stay in this hotel for a meeting. The room (a single) it'a a very small room.....The bathroom, very small, is for children (small) not for adults it's not possible not make the shower....... The room it's not a 5 stars
The restaurant normal, The Spa little for a big hotel and 5 star with a lot of children also in adults area (no control)
Last time in Steigenberger Belvedere